Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 05-10-2019, 12:59 PM   #1
yotethumper
Eight Point

Hunt In: Colorado County
Default Cedar Removal

I have a lot of cedar on my property, most of it is fully matured. When I lived up north I knew of a company that would come in and clear the cedar. The took payment in the form of the lumber. Anybody know of companies that will do that in or around Colorado/Austin County?

Any cedar that isn't big enough for lumber I plan on cutting and hitting with a prescribed burn when it dries out.

Last edited by yotethumper; 05-10-2019 at 01:54 PM.
yotethumper is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2019, 10:05 PM   #2
jonny_thunder
Spike

Hunt In: anywhere and everywhere

Good luck! If you find a company like that, let me know! I hunt a lease that is overrun with cedar and we are looking into options as well. None that I have found so far look cheap...
jonny_thunder is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2019, 10:13 PM   #3
GoneSouth
Six Point

You are either going to have to bust out the work gloves or the checkbook if you want the cedar to disappear
GoneSouth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2019, 09:07 AM   #4
TexasLongball
Ten Point

Hunt In: New Ulm and Pearsall

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotethumper View Post
I have a lot of cedar on my property, most of it is fully matured. When I lived up north I knew of a company that would come in and clear the cedar. The took payment in the form of the lumber. Anybody know of companies that will do that in or around Colorado/Austin County?

Any cedar that isn't big enough for lumber I plan on cutting and hitting with a prescribed burn when it dries out.
This is exactly the situation Iím facing in pretty much the same area.
TexasLongball is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2019, 08:41 PM   #5
yotethumper
Eight Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLongball View Post
This is exactly the situation Iím facing in pretty much the same area.
Im 10 minutes South of New Ulm. I'll let you know if I find anything but so far no luck.
yotethumper is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2019, 10:34 AM   #6
BosqueTech
Eight Point

Hunt In: Bosque County & Lubbock

I have a experience with this on our place. The cedar cutters will go into a tree and take out the pieces that they need...so...basically the straight pieces they can sell as fence posts. They will then leave the rest of the tree. They do makes some nice trails but we found they made more of a mess than anything...Good luck
BosqueTech is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2019, 10:04 PM   #7
gtsticker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lee and Fayette Counties. New Mexico

There is a herbicide that targets cedars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gtsticker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2019, 10:32 AM   #8
KMO8204
Four Point

Hunt In: Junction, Texas

You might check with your local NRCS office. They paid my landowner to clear his cedar 10-12 years ago. There is some re-growth coming back, so he is currently waiting to get approved so we can remove it again. I think you front the cost, and they reimburse you for a designated price per acre. He bought a dozer, pushed the cedar & burned it, and sold the dozer when he was finished.
KMO8204 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2019, 09:12 PM   #9
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton

Quote:
Originally Posted by BosqueTech View Post
I have a experience with this on our place. The cedar cutters will go into a tree and take out the pieces that they need...so...basically the straight pieces they can sell as fence posts. They will then leave the rest of the tree. They do makes some nice trails but we found they made more of a mess than anything...Good luck
Same experience here, they really made a huge mess of things leaving a real fire hazard, matter of fact when the owner sold off a piece the fencing company accidentally set fire and burned up the part being sold
The buyer was furious and wanted some money knocked off the deal
I sat him down and explained how he was really the winner for having the fire remove all that old dead cedar ď his place looks a 1000% better post fire ď so make sure you burn anything gradually or you may have a ugly mess
pilar is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2019, 01:46 PM   #10
locolobo
Eight Point

Hunt In: Somewhere in TX

Don't have any personal experience with it myself but a family member says he got Texas A&M/ State of Tx to clear cedar on his 400 acres a few years ago (probably about 15). He didn't go into details but it may be worth looking into. He is outside of Gatesville. I think it had something to do with getting rid of invasive species. Maybe talk to the county extension agent to see if they can help. His place is a working farm and that may have something to do with it also.
locolobo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2019, 03:18 PM   #11
Top Of Texas
Eight Point

Hunt In: Panhandle

If you plan to burn it, just burn it from the start. Eastern red cedar is not a root sprouter, so burning the top will kill the plant. Will have skeletons for a while (years).

ABSOLUTLEY A MUST - Get professional help for prescribed fire! Holler at your TPWD Technical Guidance Biologist.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/landwater/lan...ounty=colorado
Top Of Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2019, 09:52 AM   #12
tdwinklr
Ten Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo View Post
Don't have any personal experience with it myself but a family member says he got Texas A&M/ State of Tx to clear cedar on his 400 acres a few years ago (probably about 15). He didn't go into details but it may be worth looking into. He is outside of Gatesville. I think it had something to do with getting rid of invasive species. Maybe talk to the county extension agent to see if they can help. His place is a working farm and that may have something to do with it also.
NRCS/USDA does the same thing, if your application is picked for funding.
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2019, 10:02 AM   #13
2B4Him
Ten Point

Hunt In: My dreams this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BosqueTech View Post
I've hunted two different places that had cedar cutters come in. They take only what they want, they leave limbs, etc. laying everywhere, and they leave stumps that are too high to mow over (and the trees start growing back if you don't do something with the stumps).
2B4Him is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top