• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Partial to Russells or Solomons myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Fargus View Post
      Any specific style?
      depends how stiff you like. I got some of the mountain trainer mids and love em

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
        Kenetrek boots, the mountain extremes.
        This

Comment

I have Crispi Summits.

The Crispi Summits are the freakin awesome. I wouldn't change anything about them. Super comfortable and no break in.

Comment

I like my Salomon Quest 4d 3 GTX

Comment

I started in Colorado with Salomon Quest 4d and they broke down and sole started coming off. Bought some Zamberlan full leather hiking / trekking boots and they KILLED my feet. Took them back and went back to Salomons.....maybe a year and sole came lose. VERY comfortable but at $225-250 a pop I cant do that very often. I think I bought a cheap pair of Keens in the meantime.....not impressed at all. Went to Washington state to pick up a truck and stopped in Idaho at a Mom/Pop mens wear store (USA Carhartt, Filson, Kenetrek dealer) and talked to the old man that owned / ran it. Told him what I was after and he pointed at the Kenetrek Mountain Guide Extremes. Pointed at another old fella in there that was chewing the fat and said "hey Charlie how long you had them Kenetreks?......oh going on 10 yrs Id say....Ive sent them in once maybe twice to get rebuilt but I cant beat em." Bought a pair on the spot. GREAT boot! No break in. Keep them lathered up with Kenetrek oil and they are GTG. Ive started buying expensive boots that can be rebuilt. Dumped my crappy Danner Acadias at work for Wesco Firestormers. Buy once, cry once, rebuild as needed.

Comment

Meindl

Comment

My advice to you is to go to an REI store (or wherever) and try on every brand boot they have. It does not matter how awesome someone on here says a particular boot is. It may/may not fit your foot the same. What works great for me, may be horrible for you. Different brand boots cater to certain types of feet. La Sportiva is known to be a narrower boot. Kenetreks are known to be a little wider than most. Some fit a high arch better. Some dont.
                  ***Dont cheap out on boots. They are going to cost you $250+
                  ***Dont buy your boots from Cabelas or Bass Pro.....they are all junk.

I’m a fan of Lowa boots. They just fit my foot well. For a lighter weight boot, the Zephyer GTX is nice. For a stiffer (backcountry elk hunt) boot, the Camino GTX is very nice.

The people who guide for a living and/or live out west, you don’t see them wearing Rocky, Danner, Irish Setter. There is a reason why...... I’m sure this will butt hurt some people, but I’m ok with that. When you are walking 200yds from your buggy to your blind, just about any boot will do. When you are walking 5+ miles a day with 50+ pounds on your back in rough terrain, the proper quality built footwear will make or break you.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
                    My advice to you is to go to an REI store (or wherever) and try on every brand boot they have. It does not matter how awesome someone on here says a particular boot is. It may/may not fit your foot the same. What works great for me, may be horrible for you. Different brand boots cater to certain types of feet. La Sportiva is known to be a narrower boot. Kenetreks are known to be a little wider than most. Some fit a high arch better. Some dont.

I’m a fan of Lowa boots. They just fit my foot well. For a lighter weight boot, the Zephyer GTX is nice. For a stiffer (backcountry elk hunt) boot, the Camino GTX is very nice.

The people who guide for a living and/or live out west, you don’t see them wearing Rocky, Danner, Irish Setter. There is a reason why...... I’m sure this will butt hurt some people, but I’m ok with that. When you are walking 200yds from your buggy to your blind, just about any boot will do. When you are walking 5+ miles a day with 50+ pounds on your back in rough terrain, the proper quality built footwear will make or break you.
                    ^^^^THIS. Zamberlans were that way for me. Dont fit my feet. Most of the Italian made boots run narrower. I have narrowish feet and Kenetrek fit me fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post

I really wish finding Lowas, Crispis and such locally was an option. This would be ideal, but I will have to order them since I can't find a local dealer with them in stock. I have zero intentions of going cheap though.

Comment

Mountains is a lose term. Are you going to be hunting steep/ rocky nasty stuff or rolling foot hills/grassland. If you hunting rockslides and shale you might need a 8"+ stiff boot. (Heavy boot)

Hunting on trail or close to it you could go with a more comfortable low top/ mid stiff boot.

I run Kenetrek (Bridger ridge high), just put over 75 miles on them in Co. No complaints. Low top boot/ med soft sole, but I only visit the mountains once ayear.

For the others following this post, Expensive socks will make cheap shoes 10x better than $400 boots with cheap socks.

Comment

I will agree also about the sock comments. Good socks make a huge difference. I use the Darn Tough and Farm to Feet. After learning what good socks are and how much better they are, I can’t imagine wearing a pair of plain cotton socks in my hunting boots.

Comment

Originally posted by BassMaster13 View Post
                            Mountains is a lose term. Are you going to be hunting steep/ rocky nasty stuff or rolling foot hills/grassland. If you hunting rockslides and shale you might need a 8"+ stiff boot. (Heavy boot)

Hunting on trail or close to it you could go with a more comfortable low top/ mid stiff boot.

I run Kenetrek (Bridger ridge high), just put over 75 miles on them in Co. No complaints. Low top boot/ med soft sole, but I only visit the mountains once ayear.

For the others following this post, Expensive socks will make cheap shoes 10x better than $400 boots with cheap socks.
                            Never heard of rolling hills and grasslands referred to as mountains, unless you come across a meadow up high. Definitely rock slides, steep sidehills, and yes nasty shale. Not hunting sheep though. These boots will see some miles chasing elk and mule deer.

Comment

Originally posted by Fargus View Post
                              Never heard of rolling hills and grasslands referred to as mountains, unless you come across a meadow up high. Definitely rock slides, steep sidehills, and yes nasty shale. Not hunting sheep though. These boots will see some miles chasing elk and mule deer.
                              That's fair, alot of people say mountains and it's just a big hill .

I would head over to Rokslide, or other mountain hunting forums and search there. Your just getting opinions from flatland knuckleheads like myself that don't have enough experience to give real opinions.

Like mentioned I would find an REI or online store with free returns order 3 or 4 pairs and find the best boot that fits your foot.

Comment

GoHunt and Black Ovis both have a large (Quality) boot selection and good return policies. Don’t forget to look at Scarpa. Their Kinesis Pro GTX is a very popular boot. The Lowa Tibets are also very widely popular among hunters.

Comment

Working...
                                X