Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2014, 10:09 PM   #2251
rhendrix
Ten Point
 
rhendrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Hunt In: Public Land
Default

Well...using the backdoor method I didn't get my first choice archery deer tag...so I'm 0/3 on draws this year, and I'm frankly not too impressed with my 2nd and 3rd choice picks. So...I'm looking at going OTC in Colorado for elk now. Anyone looking at hunting the Weminuche or West Elk Wilderness areas?
rhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2014, 10:21 PM   #2252
BarW
Ten Point
 
BarW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Woodville, Tx
Hunt In: Tyler, Polk, Angelina counties, Colorado
Default

I've hunted unit 54 in the west elk wilderness. Nice area holds good numbers of elk but its rugged country. Lots of mule deer the years I hunted.
BarW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2014, 10:54 PM   #2253
rhendrix
Ten Point
 
rhendrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Hunt In: Public Land
Default

I'm leaning towards areas that are tough to access to limit hunting pressure.
rhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2014, 12:53 PM   #2254
drthornton
Eight Point
 
drthornton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Prosper, TX
Hunt In: TX OK CO WY NM NV UT
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhendrix View Post
I'm leaning towards areas that are tough to access to limit hunting pressure.
CO OTC is the place to do it.

IMO you need to put a crew together or line up a packer if you are going Solo and planning on going in further than about 3 miles from a Trailhead.

I do think 54 is one of the better OTC units to consider if an older age class bull is desired but I also hear it's pretty rough in there.

I thought you put in for Utah deer again as well? There will also be a 2nd draw in NV for deer coming up.
drthornton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2014, 08:18 PM   #2255
rhendrix
Ten Point
 
rhendrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Hunt In: Public Land
Default

At the time I couldn't justify spending the three hundred dollars for a tag that I thought I might eat since the draw odds for 35 have been 97% for the past several years, especially since were having a third baby and my wife would kill me if I blew 300 bucks for nothing. I think tag reallocation is getting a lot of people this year though. Will be interesting to see what the draw odds are this year. I didn't apply for NV either for the same reason, and I doubt any of the Ruby mountain units would go to the left over tags, but I'll look into it. Think I'm better off going to 53 or 54 for elk though, if I go that route I'm absolutely lining a packer up though!
rhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2014, 09:15 AM   #2256
drthornton
Eight Point
 
drthornton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Prosper, TX
Hunt In: TX OK CO WY NM NV UT
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhendrix View Post
At the time I couldn't justify spending the three hundred dollars for a tag that I thought I might eat since the draw odds for 35 have been 97% for the past several years, especially since were having a third baby and my wife would kill me if I blew 300 bucks for nothing. I think tag reallocation is getting a lot of people this year though. Will be interesting to see what the draw odds are this year. I didn't apply for NV either for the same reason, and I doubt any of the Ruby mountain units would go to the left over tags, but I'll look into it. Think I'm better off going to 53 or 54 for elk though, if I go that route I'm absolutely lining a packer up though!
Well there will likely be leftover archery deer tags all around Unit 35....Units 15,23,24,25,26,34 all had leftovers last year.

Unit 54 archery Elk is a draw unit but has leftovers since they changed it from OTC 5 years ago. There were 34 last year....53 is OTC. I can help you if you get a 54 tag.

The Rubies are actually gonna have more archery Deer tags this year than last. It'll make it to the 2nd draw for sure.
drthornton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2014, 09:33 AM   #2257
unclefish
Pope & Young
 
unclefish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Central TX, Elk in NM
Default

Well I did not draw a deer tag in CO.

We are OTC for elk and now I will buy a bear tag in August.
unclefish is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2014, 01:33 PM   #2258
unclefish
Pope & Young
 
unclefish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Central TX, Elk in NM
Default

Well my buddy twdjr on here says that several of his buddies have found a huge glitch in the Colorado back door method and it can't be relied on right now. I just confirmed it with our Colorado outfitter. Seems that lots of folks are showing a PP for this year when they should have easily drawn their unit because they have more than enough PP's. So I'm no giving up hope yet.

rhendrix it may not be over yet!
unclefish is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2014, 02:03 PM   #2259
TWP
Ten Point
 
TWP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Angelo, TX
Hunt In: San Angelo
Default

Well, it looks like unit 74 OTC tag for me. My buddy drew a deer tag and I will be following along, and hunting lower than he is. Going to be the first week of the season.

Lots of glassing and hunting water, maybe find a big boy getting ready for the rut off by himself.
TWP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2014, 02:18 PM   #2260
Pernell
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Humble TX
Hunt In: N.M., East Texas, South Texas
Default

The outfitter I hunt with has 2 unit 15 second season archery hunts available for $8000.00 inc unit wide landowner tags. licenses are $789.00. A awesome hunt! I have been hunting with him for 6 years and have killed 4 bull from 300" to 350". PM me if interested.
Pernell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2014, 02:42 PM   #2261
rhendrix
Ten Point
 
rhendrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Hunt In: Public Land
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclefish View Post
Well my buddy twdjr on here says that several of his buddies have found a huge glitch in the Colorado back door method and it can't be relied on right now. I just confirmed it with our Colorado outfitter. Seems that lots of folks are showing a PP for this year when they should have easily drawn their unit because they have more than enough PP's. So I'm no giving up hope yet.

rhendrix it may not be over yet!

Man that'd be awesome, and difficult at the same time since I switched gears in my head and it's gonna be tough getting back into mule deer mindset.
rhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2014, 02:43 PM   #2262
rhendrix
Ten Point
 
rhendrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Hunt In: Public Land
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP View Post
Well, it looks like unit 74 OTC tag for me. My buddy drew a deer tag and I will be following along, and hunting lower than he is. Going to be the first week of the season.



Lots of glassing and hunting water, maybe find a big boy getting ready for the rut off by himself.

I'm seriously considering 74 so I can hunt elk and scout next year for mule deer...why are you going so early?
rhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2014, 02:54 PM   #2263
TWP
Ten Point
 
TWP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Angelo, TX
Hunt In: San Angelo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhendrix View Post
I'm seriously considering 74 so I can hunt elk and scout next year for mule deer...why are you going so early?
Just because they want to hunt early for mule deer while trying to find bucks still in their summer patterns. I am open to going with another TBHer if they are open to hiking and hunting for a week. Early, late, it makes no difference to me. The mountains are mountains and elk are elk. I'm just happy to be there in His creation with a heavy pack, bow in hand and a prayer of thanks on my lips.

We forget sometimes with all the gear, techniques, draws, etc that many folks all over this globe will never have the opportunity to hunt critters, much less such grand creatures in such amazing country. That is why I always feel so blessed for the opportunity, much less getting something down.
TWP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2014, 03:06 PM   #2264
ELKAHOLIC
Ten Point
 
ELKAHOLIC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edgewood TX.
Hunt In: Where ever ELK live. Kansas and Fisher co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP View Post
Just because they want to hunt early for mule deer while trying to find bucks still in their summer patterns. I am open to going with another TBHer if they are open to hiking and hunting for a week. Early, late, it makes no difference to me. The mountains are mountains and elk are elk. I'm just happy to be there in His creation with a heavy pack, bow in hand and a prayer of thanks on my lips.

We forget sometimes with all the gear, techniques, draws, etc that many folks all over this globe will never have the opportunity to hunt critters, much less such grand creatures in such amazing country. That is why I always feel so blessed for the opportunity, much less getting something down.
Amen.
ELKAHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2014, 03:18 PM   #2265
rhendrix
Ten Point
 
rhendrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Hunt In: Public Land
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP View Post
Just because they want to hunt early for mule deer while trying to find bucks still in their summer patterns. I am open to going with another TBHer if they are open to hiking and hunting for a week. Early, late, it makes no difference to me. The mountains are mountains and elk are elk. I'm just happy to be there in His creation with a heavy pack, bow in hand and a prayer of thanks on my lips.



We forget sometimes with all the gear, techniques, draws, etc that many folks all over this globe will never have the opportunity to hunt critters, much less such grand creatures in such amazing country. That is why I always feel so blessed for the opportunity, much less getting something down.

That's awesome man, if I end up buying an elk tag I'll let you know buddy.
rhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2014, 07:08 PM   #2266
rhendrix
Ten Point
 
rhendrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Hunt In: Public Land
Default

Now it shows I don't have a PP for 2014. This is killing me!
rhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2014, 10:00 PM   #2267
Bad-Karma
Ten Point
 
Bad-Karma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Texas
Hunt In: South Texas/SHNF/ Mountains
Default

Figured I go ahead and post up my gear list. Happy to answer any questions.
Hoyt carbon element g3 #82. I know and the answer is because I can very easily
Pack is kifaru
2 sets of clothes one set Sitka mountain pant and one pair kuiki pant
Boots are kenetrek. Jus a note on boots. I ordered just about every mountain boot you can think of and kenetrek is what I decided on. Lol. I think I probably spent twice as much on shipping as I ended up paying for the boots.
Arrow fmj's w/ 100gr silver flames
Bins are swaro el range.
Lica rangefinder
Mountain house for meals
100oz platypus
Garmin 650T
Anything else just ask.

I am probably better of making a video of my training instead of writing it all out
Bad-Karma is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2014, 09:33 AM   #2268
rhendrix
Ten Point
 
rhendrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Hunt In: Public Land
Default

What's your boots? I picked up a pair of the Irish setter vaprtrek boots if I'm hunting mulies and will probably go with a pair of meindl Perfekt hikers if I'm chasing elk.
rhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2014, 09:34 AM   #2269
rhendrix
Ten Point
 
rhendrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Hunt In: Public Land
Default

By the way, anyone want to purchase a used tenzing tz5000 from me?
rhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2014, 10:22 AM   #2270
Grizz83
Ten Point
 
Grizz83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Coryell County
Default

Anything wrong with that Tenzing? Why are you selling?
Grizz83 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2014, 12:19 PM   #2271
rhendrix
Ten Point
 
rhendrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Hunt In: Public Land
Default

The sternum strap broke in Utah and two of the zippers stick. Plano said to send it in for repairs and they'd fix everything, but I've never bothered with it since I have a Gregory Whitney 95 that I'm gonna use this year. I'd make you a heck of a deal...you'd just have to ship it off to Plano.
rhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2014, 09:27 AM   #2272
DavidH44
Eight Point
 
DavidH44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Kaufman
Hunt In: Kaufman County
Default

Good luck to the guys that put in for Utah. Starting to hit cards, nothing for me yet.
DavidH44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2014, 09:35 AM   #2273
ELKAHOLIC
Ten Point
 
ELKAHOLIC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edgewood TX.
Hunt In: Where ever ELK live. Kansas and Fisher co.
Default

Got my rejection email from Utah today. It's official, I'm on the hunt for a hunt.
ELKAHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2014, 09:49 AM   #2274
Texans42
Ten Point
 
Texans42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: High plains
Default

I've got a buddy that usually outfits southern CO on 17k private but this year he is leasing it out. He usually gets a few mulie(150-220") landowner tags. I normally hunt it but do to vacation schedual and a NM tag I can't this year. PM if you want his info

Depending on the timing of my success in NM I may be headed north up there......

Bulls are typical CO 260-300 but I did miss a 330 two years ago, ranch record is 360(4th season rifle)

Last edited by Texans42; 05-20-2014 at 10:07 AM.
Texans42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2014, 11:32 AM   #2275
drthornton
Eight Point
 
drthornton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Prosper, TX
Hunt In: TX OK CO WY NM NV UT
Default

Got my Utah email last night 0-4 on tags and a few other points. 5 points does not get you very far in UT.

Nevada draw is tomorrow, 5/21 and results will be posted by Friday for anyone in that mix.
drthornton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2014, 11:59 AM   #2276
rhendrix
Ten Point
 
rhendrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Hunt In: Public Land
Default

Another point for LE elk and LE deer in UT.
rhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2014, 12:18 PM   #2277
BehindTheSight
Four Point
 
BehindTheSight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Evansville, IN
Hunt In: CO, TX, KY, IN, KS
Default

The CO draw results are 10 days out. I'm getting excited!
BehindTheSight is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2014, 02:55 PM   #2278
drthornton
Eight Point
 
drthornton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Prosper, TX
Hunt In: TX OK CO WY NM NV UT
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindTheSight View Post
The CO draw results are 10 days out. I'm getting excited!
You can check if you drew 1st choice via a backdoor method for Elk and Antelope. It a little complicated....Go to CO draw results and input your info. At the bottom of the page you see your species list as pending. If you use IE right click the frame and click View Page Source. Scroll down to the results area and you will see your points after this year draw. For Firefox you nee to view Frame source to see the points.

In either case if your points show 0 you drew 1st choice.
drthornton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2014, 10:47 PM   #2279
TexasBear
Ten Point
 
TexasBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Joshua
Hunt In: Colorado
Default

What if the CO website says "no results in the specified years"? They took my money out of my bank when I registered online. I know it was a good draw entry.
TexasBear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2014, 10:16 AM   #2280
unclefish
Pope & Young
 
unclefish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Central TX, Elk in NM
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drthornton View Post
You can check if you drew 1st choice via a backdoor method for Elk and Antelope. It a little complicated....Go to CO draw results and input your info. At the bottom of the page you see your species list as pending. If you use IE right click the frame and click View Page Source. Scroll down to the results area and you will see your points after this year draw. For Firefox you nee to view Frame source to see the points.

In either case if your points show 0 you drew 1st choice.
Hey drthornton....I just did this in IE and here is what I got for deer. I think it means I have a point but not sure. What do you think?

<td><span>Deer</span></td>
<td><span>1</span></td>
<td><span>0</span></td>
<td><span>2014</span></td>
unclefish is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2014, 10:36 AM   #2281
drthornton
Eight Point
 
drthornton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Prosper, TX
Hunt In: TX OK CO WY NM NV UT
Default

Unclefish...I heard deer was not updated to check like this but I just checked mine and it shows my accurate post draw points.

So if you had 0 points going into the draw and it shows 1 now the theory is you did not draw your 1st choice.

I only got points this year and this method is accurate for all 3 species I applied for.
drthornton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2014, 02:10 PM   #2282
unclefish
Pope & Young
 
unclefish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Central TX, Elk in NM
Default

I hope it's wrong. Our unit has a 70% chance of drawing with no points and none of us out of 4 people drew. And we all applied separately.
unclefish is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2014, 03:14 PM   #2283
drthornton
Eight Point
 
drthornton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Prosper, TX
Hunt In: TX OK CO WY NM NV UT
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclefish View Post
I hope it's wrong. Our unit has a 70% chance of drawing with no points and none of us out of 4 people drew. And we all applied separately.
I wouldn't panic yet....that backdoor is jacked up this year.
drthornton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2014, 08:34 AM   #2284
drthornton
Eight Point
 
drthornton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Prosper, TX
Hunt In: TX OK CO WY NM NV UT
Default

Here is another method to look if you drew in CO. I know Elk is updated...not sure about other species.

https://www.co.wildlifelicense.com/start.php

log in and click the habitat and other stamps button.

At the bottom you'll see the products you have on file. If you see a 500 series without "app" on the end. You drew a tag.
drthornton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2014, 09:58 AM   #2285
TexasBear
Ten Point
 
TexasBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Joshua
Hunt In: Colorado
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drthornton View Post
Here is another method to look if you drew in CO. I know Elk is updated...not sure about other species.

https://www.co.wildlifelicense.com/start.php

log in and click the habitat and other stamps button.

At the bottom you'll see the products you have on file. If you see a 500 series without "app" on the end. You drew a tag.
So is 588 first choice?
TexasBear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2014, 10:13 AM   #2286
drthornton
Eight Point
 
drthornton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Prosper, TX
Hunt In: TX OK CO WY NM NV UT
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBear View Post
So is 588 first choice?
I don't know what the specific numbers mean. From that method you can only tell that you drew "a" tag not your first choice.

Try the other method and you will see how many points you have. If it's 0 and you had more than 0 going in then it's 1st choice.
drthornton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2014, 03:51 PM   #2287
drthornton
Eight Point
 
drthornton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Prosper, TX
Hunt In: TX OK CO WY NM NV UT
Default

The New Mexico 2014 Draw Odds are posted

http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/recr...ting/index.htm

My units were just about what I expected.
drthornton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2014, 05:43 PM   #2288
TWP
Ten Point
 
TWP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Angelo, TX
Hunt In: San Angelo
Default

Spent 12 hours driving from Denver with the single reed mini sonic dome, I am now able to chirp and mew on it, and only gag half of the time. Progress.

Decided on a wilderness unit I've hunted before in CO. As for dates, I'm thinking of the last week of Sept, to get a new moon and not fight the ML crowd. But my unit is narrow and I'm afraid the ML crowd may push them to private. What does the elk crew here think? Second or fourth week for wilderness OTC CO?
TWP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2014, 10:35 PM   #2289
ELKAHOLIC
Ten Point
 
ELKAHOLIC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edgewood TX.
Hunt In: Where ever ELK live. Kansas and Fisher co.
Default

I agree with the last week period. Go too early and your calling skills might fall on deaf ears. JMO.
ELKAHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2014, 09:32 PM   #2290
rhendrix
Ten Point
 
rhendrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Hunt In: Public Land
Default

If I wind up going, it'll be the last two weeks of the season, one of those weeks will be ML season, but that's a small price to pay.
rhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2014, 11:42 PM   #2291
a3dhunter
Ten Point
 
a3dhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Colorado Springs
Default

Some elk in the Arkansas river valley, then the view from Cottonwood pass today.

As far as what time to hunt, the second week I've had better luck getting single bulls to come in. They may come in silent, or may be bugling their head off.

The last week I've found most bigger bulls herded up, and not willing to leave the herd. I've found it harder to close in on bulls with a herd with that many eyes watching.
Attached Images
  
a3dhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2014, 10:37 AM   #2292
TexasBear
Ten Point
 
TexasBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Joshua
Hunt In: Colorado
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drthornton View Post
I don't know what the specific numbers mean. From that method you can only tell that you drew "a" tag not your first choice.

Try the other method and you will see how many points you have. If it's 0 and you had more than 0 going in then it's 1st choice.
I searched the internet on that code and in 2011, 588 meant that a non-res antlerless tag was drawn. Woo hoo! Don't know if it was first choice but I'm good with it!
TexasBear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2014, 12:55 PM   #2293
drthornton
Eight Point
 
drthornton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Prosper, TX
Hunt In: TX OK CO WY NM NV UT
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP View Post
Spent 12 hours driving from Denver with the single reed mini sonic dome, I am now able to chirp and mew on it, and only gag half of the time. Progress.

Decided on a wilderness unit I've hunted before in CO. As for dates, I'm thinking of the last week of Sept, to get a new moon and not fight the ML crowd. But my unit is narrow and I'm afraid the ML crowd may push them to private. What does the elk crew here think? Second or fourth week for wilderness OTC CO?
Tough choice...I tend to agree with a3d about the bulls getting locked down with the herd he later it gets. I think 9/11-9/20 is about the best time which is unfortunately right in line with the ML guys this year. If you know the area really well and have a good idea where the Elk will be I'd consider going early. If you think you'll have a hard time finding Elk or don't have much time go later. They'll be talking at least enough you can locate them.
drthornton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2014, 01:21 PM   #2294
88 Bound
Ten Point
 
88 Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBear View Post
What if the CO website says "no results in the specified years"? They took my money out of my bank when I registered online. I know it was a good draw entry.
^^same thing happened to me. It's my first time putting in, but I know it was a good entry. Can anyone explain this? Also, how do I get this back door method to work??
88 Bound is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2014, 07:33 AM   #2295
a3dhunter
Ten Point
 
a3dhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Colorado Springs
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drthornton View Post
Tough choice...I tend to agree with a3d about the bulls getting locked down with the herd he later it gets. I think 9/11-9/20 is about the best time which is unfortunately right in line with the ML guys this year. If you know the area really well and have a good idea where the Elk will be I'd consider going early. If you think you'll have a hard time finding Elk or don't have much time go later. They'll be talking at least enough you can locate them.
It has been proven that the peak of the rut takes place around September 22nd each year, give or take a day. The time leading up to it is the best time to call in a bull.
The activity that is seen may vary in intensity based on other variables.

What works one year in one place may be a week off the next year when looking for the best hunting.......never can tell.

I will be taking the second week off work to go hunting this year.
a3dhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2014, 07:47 AM   #2296
unclefish
Pope & Young
 
unclefish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Central TX, Elk in NM
Default

We are hunting the last 8 days of the season this year. Some ML hunters booked it the week ahead of us.

I don't mind hunting when they are herded up....it seems like there are always satellite bulls trying to horde in and they can be very responsive to a cow call. I'm just glad I'm hunting this year no matter which week it is!

I think its gonna be a great year for antlers in Colorado...snowpack was great this year and they have had lots of rain so far.
unclefish is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2014, 07:49 AM   #2297
TexasBear
Ten Point
 
TexasBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Joshua
Hunt In: Colorado
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag_Attack View Post
^^same thing happened to me. It's my first time putting in, but I know it was a good entry. Can anyone explain this? Also, how do I get this back door method to work??
There is another method that works better. Go in like you are buying the habitat stamp or other license. It is described in a previous post and it is easier to understand.
TexasBear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2014, 07:51 AM   #2298
TexasBear
Ten Point
 
TexasBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Joshua
Hunt In: Colorado
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drthornton View Post
Here is another method to look if you drew in CO. I know Elk is updated...not sure about other species.

https://www.co.wildlifelicense.com/start.php

log in and click the habitat and other stamps button.

At the bottom you'll see the products you have on file. If you see a 500 series without "app" on the end. You drew a tag.
Hey Ag Attack this is the method that works better.
TexasBear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2014, 08:52 PM   #2299
88 Bound
Ten Point
 
88 Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Texas
Talking

Thanks Texas. I was able to check today and it appears I didn't draw a tag...this was my first year to put in so didn't expect to score one. Just the application and wait period alone had me pumped to go. Sounds like the beginning of another inexpensive addiction
88 Bound is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2014, 09:27 AM   #2300
drthornton
Eight Point
 
drthornton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Prosper, TX
Hunt In: TX OK CO WY NM NV UT
Default

I heard the co Elk results are posted with Unit drawn although there is a disclaimer that it could change until 5/30.
drthornton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com