No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's crazy is I drew 61 in Colorado with 1 pp in the late '90's. Now I need 3-4 to draw 501, that I never needed points for before.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
      Is it possible to catch the point creep in some states? In Colorado there are units that I would never draw while I'm able bodied (I'm 44 now) because of point creep. Its becoming a race that cannot be won.

Between the non-refundable fees, PP costs, and point creep....I'm beginning to think that building a ton of points is totally not worth it. I could see building up a few points and hunting a decent unit every 4-5 years but can't see its worth building up 15-20 points only to have the unit I truly want to hunt still out of reach.

Any thoughts on this? What's it like in other states?

Your spot on. I gave up on pp in Oregon because of point creep and I have 12. I do apply for controlled hunts in Idaho but then do OTC if I don't draw. Plus the issues with predators will have a affect as well at some point.

Comment

Got my Kifaru Nomad in the mail today along with some other accessories. I bought the Bikini frame used a couple months ago. Kinda funny how the want for a lower volume day pack that could comfortably carry meat in a base camp Elk scenario evolved into this. I am tossing around the idea of making another run at Nevada Archery Mule Deer though.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
          Got my Kifaru Nomad in the mail today along with some other accessories. I bought the Bikini frame used a couple months ago. Kinda funny how the want for a lower volume day pack that could comfortably carry meat in a base camp Elk scenario evolved into this. I am tossing around the idea of making another run at Nevada Archery Mule Deer though.
          A Nomad, a LH top lid, and a grab it, nice!

Comment

Yep ...2 Med pockets as well but they are inside the batwings in this Config.

Comment

Yep ...2 Med pockets as well but they are inside the batwings in this Config.
              Even better! Love my belt pouches!

Comment

Nice... I was going to get a kifaru but i dont use a big pack enough to spend that much.. I pre ordered a Kuiu Ultra 6000.. I think it will do all i need it to

Comment

Originally posted by Homer75 View Post
                  How did you do your draw? Elk permit / deer and if you don't get a permit your returning your license? I'm in for a permit to but, if I don't get it I'll just go to HD 560. With 17k licenses if you put in for MT you'll get picked for a license.
                  Yep, HuntinFool says that they have had leftover the last few years for the general tag. I can't seem to find a general unit that is too my liking yet in Montana so I may just do the New Mexico Landowner route if I don't get my Missouri Breaks limited entry unit.

Do you know much about Montana General units?

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
                    Yep, HuntinFool says that they have had leftover the last few years for the general tag. I can't seem to find a general unit that is too my liking yet in Montana so I may just do the New Mexico Landowner route if I don't get my Missouri Breaks limited entry unit.

Do you know much about Montana General units?
                    The units that allow either sex are more of the quantity then quality, unit 560. There are good deer though. The one in my avatar is a small 3yr old that was chasing a doe in our front yard. I'm not that familiar with the breaks but, I'm getting a canoe just for hunting the breaks. I'm planning on doing a float trip if nothing else for deer.

Comment

Caught wind that CC are getting hit in AZ

Comment

Originally posted by ELKAHOLIC View Post
                        If you don't mind. Let us know if you hear of any cc hits. That is how I found out last year.
                        AZ started hitting CC yesterday evening. It takes them several days to a week to get them all done.

Good Luck to those that applied. No hit for me

Comment

Colorado application deadline drawing near, be sure to get those apps in for this year.

Deadline is April 1st.

Comment

Thoughts? Would definitely cut down on pack weight!

Comment

Originally posted by Treehunter View Post
                              http://www.rei.com/share/tiny-tent.html

Oh hell no!

Comment

Originally posted by Treehunter View Post
                                http://www.rei.com/share/tiny-tent.html

You have got to be kidding!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X