X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I buy a new truck

I have a 2011 Ram 2500 with 196k on it.
    I just had $600 in repairs done on it a month ago
    My check engine light it on now for something with the egr(its deleted so im not worried)
    And im about to have to put a new transmission in it
    On top of that I need a new set of tires.

So, spend $6,000-$7,000 in hopes of it making it another few years or spend $60,000 and be good for the next several yrs?

You know we are all going to tell you to go for the new truck.

Comment

Im all about a new truck. Once warranty is gone and issues start coming up its easier in my opinion to swing a note instead large chunks at a time

Comment

I'll get on the fix the one have boat. Vehicles are a hole that you throw money into every month and you never get it back. Take the $600-$700 a month and put it in the bank. A large portion of the things that break/wear out on a vehicle can easily be replaced in your driveway with hand tools and Youtube. I want a new F250 with 7.3 gas in it so bad I can't stand it but I talk my self out of it every month.

You will hear arguments that it makes no sense to spend $7-$8k to fix a truck that is only worth $10-$15k. I don't agree. That $60,000 truck you buy today is only going to be worth $10-$15k one day. There is just no feasible way to justify the expense of a new truck unless you make your living with it and/or downtime is something that you can't afford. I drive a 2002 F250 with the 7.3 and I have a Honda car. I can put 3 new engines and 3 transmissions in my truck for less than what it costs to buy a new truck. If there is something wrong with the truck and I am working on it I just take the car.

Now if you just like the new smell, go for it....I'll never begrudge a man for spending his money how he sees fit provided his family is taken care of.

Comment

If you like what you've got and can work on it. Keep it and fix it up. Don't kid yourself and think new trucks don't have their problems. Trucks prices are just stupid nowadays and they're not being built to outlast the warranty. My two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
            I'll get on the fix the one have boat. Vehicles are a hole that you throw money into every month and you never get it back. Take the $600-$700 a month and put it in the bank. A large portion of the things that break/wear out on a vehicle can easily be replaced in your driveway with hand tools and Youtube. I want a new F250 with 7.3 gas in it so bad I can't stand it but I talk my self out of it every month.

You will hear arguments that it makes no sense to spend $7-$8k to fix a truck that is only worth $10-$15k. I don't agree. That $60,000 truck you buy today is only going to be worth $10-$15k one day. There is just no feasible way to justify the expense of a new truck unless you make your living with it and/or downtime is something that you can't afford. I drive a 2002 F250 with the 7.3 and I have a Honda car. I can put 3 new engines and 3 transmissions in my truck for less than what it costs to buy a new truck. If there is something wrong with the truck and I am working on it I just take the car.

Now if you just like the new smell, go for it....I'll never begrudge a man for spending his money how he sees fit provided his family is taken care of.
            I'm in the same camp.....just hit 200K on my 2011 F250 and really want a new one, but don't necessarily need a new one. Yes I complain every time I spend money on the current truck, but I drive the tar out of it and what I have spent yearly has been less than an annual truck note.

Comment

2020 F350 C/C 4x4 long bed. 7.3 gas W/3.73 gears. XL pkg but with the STX And FX4 pkg. cloth seating, carpet, Sirius, electronic locking rear end other bells and whistles was WAY less OTD than $60,000!

Comment

If you want a new 2500, especially diesel, you better throw another 20 grand in with the 60k you are planning on spending

Comment

If I buy a new one, I already have it picked out @ $57k for a Laramie Megacab with a diesel. It a 2019 model but still brand new

Comment

And you can get a Tradesman for less than $45k

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                      2020 F350 C/C 4x4 long bed. 7.3 gas W/3.73 gears. XL pkg but with the STX And FX4 pkg. cloth seating, carpet, Sirius, electronic locking rear end other bells and whistles was WAY less OTD than $60,000!

That’s a beautiful truck you bought but I can put 20 transmissions in mine for what you spent! That’s what I have to keep telling myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Depreciation on a new truck will probably be 6k a year.

Comment

It helps if you have a spare vehicle to drive while you fix the other one. But, there's expense in all of it.

Comment

Why is the alternate option 60K?

Comment

Originally posted by whitetailtrail View Post
                              Why is the alternate option 60K?

The truck I’d buy is $57k. I havent looked for a used one though

Comment

Working...
                              X