Educate me on metal buildings..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Educate me on metal buildings..

We have been looking at building a new home for the last couple years. My wife has been against it since the beginning but I wanted more land and a larger home. Well... you know momma has to be happy so we are staying and doing a big remodel of our existing home with added square footage, a pool, and a 40x60 metal building. She said if we went this route I had the green light on buying my hunting land. Pretty good deal, eh?! So anyhow... we will have 40x40 of the metal building finished out and it's going to be our trophy room/family game room/my home office. The other 20x20 will be shop space/indoor batting cage for my boys.

So.... my question is, what can I expect to pay for the 40x60 metal buidling, 2 walk doors, 12x16 garage door, 10x20 & 10x40 porch roof with concrete, and all spray foam?

North of $35-40k depending on details

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
      North of $35-40k depending on details

Actually well north of $40k after re-reading
      I am having a 30x35 extension added on my shop next week
      The extension with just roof and one end gable alone is $8500
      My shop, I build two years ago, 35x40 with 15’ gabled extension + concrete + walk door + 3 x 10x12’ roll ups was $27k

Comment

$85,000 depending on details.

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
          Actually well north of $40k after re-reading
          I am having a 30x35 extension added on my shop next week
          The extension with just roof and one end gable alone is $8500
          My shop, I build two years ago, 35x40 with 15’ gabled extension + concrete + walk door + 3 x 10x12’ roll ups was $27k

Yeah I was about to reply to your initial $35-40K. That won’t even sniff an all metal red steel constructed 40x60 building. Let alone the added porches and spray foam, etc.

Gonna be north....and probably WAY NORTH of $65k. Lots of variables to consider and options. Side wall height, pitch of roof, beams in concrete, leveling of land, dirt work?

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
            Yeah I was about to reply to your initial $35-40K. That won’t even sniff an all metal red steel constructed 40x60 building. Let alone the added porches and spray foam, etc.

Gonna be north....and probably WAY NORTH of $65k. Lots of variables to consider and options. Side wall height, pitch of roof, beams in concrete, leveling of land, dirt work?
            Add colored roof, gutters, slab thickness, etc.

Just remember your quote will be just enough to get by. If you want it done right it's gonna cost more than the original quote. They quote the cheapest options cause that's what their competitors are going to do to get the job.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
              Add colored roof, gutters, slab thickness, etc.

Just remember your quote will be just enough to get by. If you want it done right it's gonna cost more than the original quote. They quote the cheapest options cause that's what their competitors are going to do to get the job.
              ^^^What he said!

The bid on 3000 sq ft of concrete alone will be a FUBAR experience. Way too many variables and questions to answer. I bet you could find bids from $18K to $40K just for the concrete work. Depends on what you’re wanting-needing done.

Comment

I built a 100x40 about a year ago. Three 12' doors, two man way doors, and six windows. Total cost was roughly $100,000.

The original bid was around $85,000 not including dirt work.

I spent around $6000 on select fill. My site was fairly level and dropped 6"s from one end to the other. I raised it to 20 inches. I'm not gonna have my slab low to where water is going to be running through it one day.

The original quote was for a 4" slab which is actually a 3.5" slab. I upped it to a 6" slab which is really a 5.5" slab. Additional cost was around $1500 IIRC. I occasionally bring in a tractor to move stuff and didn't want a cracked slab. Worth the money for peace of mind.

Original quote was steel on 16" centers and 1/2" rebar. I went 12" centers and 5/8 rebar. Additional cost was $750 or so.

To me it's worth a little extra to have a good foundation.

I had a plumber put rough in some plumbing for water and electrical feeds in the slab so I didn't have to go through the walls. Another $600.

Gutters were added cause it's cheaper to do it when you build it. Around $1000.

Colored roof just cause it looks better. Around $1000.

Just a few things to consider when you do yours. You may get by with a cheap slab but if something happens then it wasn't worth it. I went with the regular roll insulation cause it worked fine for me in my other shops. I wall off areas where it's prone to get damaged. If you are going to frame in a good part of your building it should work for you. You could always spray the shop part.

And I didn't go our for bids. I asked around about who was the best and most dependable in the area. Beware of people who want a big deposit and disappear with your money.
                Last edited by M16; 05-20-2020, 07:58 PM.

Comment

I built a 30x40 last fall. About $45k all in for dirt work, slab, building w 10x40 lean to, spray foam, one garage door, two walkins, and six windows. Best thing is that the contractor i used made it the best experience ive ever had w a contractor And ive had a lot. This fall ill run electricity to it.
                  I think you're looking at $80-90k for yours.

Comment

I would say you'll be in the ballpark of $100k all in, including dirt work and concrete but there are many variables that come in too play that can swing it either way.

Comment

Two+ years ago I had one built. 40x60 living area with 8 foot porches front and back. 3 doors, 12 windows, spray foamed, plumbing rough in. $90,000.

-john

Comment

Everyone around me are putting up pole barns wrapped in metal now. You may want to price it out that way also, they are using 4x4 for uprights and premade roof truss. I built mine out of Versa-tube about 12 years ago for 20x35 under 18K but it's just a shop and I did a lot of the work.

Comment

I just had one of my buddies who builds metal buildings quote me 36,000. 36'x36' barn with two sliding 12' doors, 20' x 36' lean to off one side, 10' x 36' lean to off the other. Two 12x12 full enclosed metal framed feed and tack rooms. The entire barn will have an insulated ceiling. The slab is only 24x24 since one side will be horse stalls. 12" I beam with 4"x4" square tubing for post.

It's hard to back into my quote for a cost per SQF since lean to's vary so much. I came up with low 20's depending on how you calculate the two enclosed rooms and lean to.

Comment

Besides all the points that M16 hit, you really need to consider the useage.

It sounds like the main part is going to be climate controlled living area. In that case, it doesn't make sense to have metal perlins in the walls, and then frame up walls inside that ... it makes your exterior walls 12" thick. Consider wood framed exterior walls in the "living" areas. You'll end up with more actual square footage.

Comment

^ This I have helped build several barndo's and they are not much cheaper (if at all) in the end due to all the redundant framing. Also the prices are inflated due to increased popularity and the tax man has also caught on. I would look at a wood structure or a metal pole barn with wood framing.

Comment

Working...
                              X