Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone go from a PowerStroke to a Duramax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone go from a PowerStroke to a Duramax?

I'll start off by saying I'm a fan of Ford, Chevy and Dodge.

I currently run a 2017 F-250. Love the truck, gobs of power and like the look.

I hate the fuel mileage. I run close to 50k miles a year, and 13-14 mpg is getting old. Granted I have 37" tires on it, but still didn't get much better with 35's.

I do like the look of the 2020 GMC's. I drove a 17' Duramax back when I was buying my truck and it didn't feel like it would pull a door closed....it was a major dog compared to the Powerstroke but I hear that its a different animal now and the fuel mileage is much better.

Anyone in a 2019 or 2020 Duramax?

Go drive a new powerstroke with the 10 speed. Major fuel mileage improvements. My 2020 dually gets 12 loaded down every day with 10-20k pounds. Highway around 70 is around 17.5-18. Single wheel trucks should be even more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I am the original owner of a 2004 Duramax with 225K miles on it....from day one I have got 20mpg and pulled anything I wanted....

She just pulled a 2017 43' open range 17,000# 5th wheel from Lake Somerville and back with no issues....
      The same engine used today with vast improvements over the last 17 years....

Duramax is a **** good engine

Comment

I had one that was a 2014 and it pulled great. No complaints at all. Wish I still owned it.

-john

Comment

I had an 09 4x4 short bed CC Duramax and felt like it had more power than I ever needed. I averaged 23 with it to and from Alabama running 75 and 80 but it was tuned. I only got rid of it because it rode like a buck board

Comment

All pre-DEF diesels got pretty decent mileage

A Cummins would see 20+ mpg with a mild tune as would a Duramax. A Powerstroke would see 16-18 mpg

Comparing those to a modern diesel isn’t apples to apples. My uncle had a old 7.3 liter international turbo diesel ( one year before the power stroke ) and his got 20 mpg.

Comment

Delete and tune should fix mpg's. Unless you're already deleted..

Comment

The 2020 6.7 Powerstroke with 10 spd is getting much better mileage than the 17-19 6.7

Comment

Originally posted by SETX_Insanity View Post
                  Delete and tune should fix mpg's. Unless you're already deleted..
                  It’s not going to help that much. I’ve got a 17 6.7 deleted and tuned on 37s and get 15-16 highway normally. Occasionally I squeak 17 out of it being easy on the skinny pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post

It’s not going to help that much. I’ve got a 17 6.7 deleted and tuned on 37s and get 15-16 highway normally. Occasionally I squeak 17 out of it being easy on the skinny pedal.

Yep the DEF trucks just don’t see that much improvement in mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Buddy has a 2020 durmax 2500 and the Guage said 18-19 on the Hwy

Comment

445 hp and 910 lb ft should handle anything you need. I'm on my 3rd Duramax since 2007 and with the exception of DEF system issues on my 2013, I have been very pleased.

Comment

One addition I would strongly suggest is a throttle sensor. It seriously reduces the turbo lag. You won't believe the difference.

Comment

I am running a 2019 Duramax, running up & down the toll rd. about 120 miles a day at 80 MPH, I get 16.4 MPG. Keep it around 70 & get 17.5 MPG. Plenty of power. The 2020 should do better on mileage due to the transmission changes. My 2019 still runs the 6 speed allison. The new one run an 8 or 10 speed.

Comment

Putting bigger tires on is going to kill mpg on any truck period!!! My experience is a decrease of 2 to 3 mpg for 35's and 3 to 4 mpg for 37's stock or deleted.

Comment

Working...
                              X