Possum Kingdom fish kill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possum Kingdom fish kill

I was up at Pk today and looks a pretty big fish kill is happening. I'm on north end on lake and there was hundreds of floating fish, large and small. Smells is gonna be bad.
    Last edited by armadillophil; 06-03-2020, 06:16 PM.

I hope it’s not golden algae - that has caused some devastating fish kills on that lake in the past

Comment

BRA released a statement that it is/was another golden algae bloom. They think it was caused by the crazy storms out by Lubbock putting a lot of high mineral waters into the lakes(grand bury got it too). They also think it is almost done and only affected the north part of the lakes.

Hate to see it happen but the lake will rebound.

Comment

We were there Sunday and saw thousands of shad and countless little fish floating.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
          BRA released a statement that it is/was another golden algae bloom. They think it was caused by the crazy storms out by Lubbock putting a lot of high mineral waters into the lakes(grand bury got it too). They also think it is almost done and only affected the north part of the lakes.

Hate to see it happen but the lake will rebound.
          The Brazos just outside of Post was rolling! I think they got 9-11” in about an hour. The river was nearly lapping over US 84 where it crosses.

Comment

Seems like maybe ‘07 was a big one, and some years before around ‘01 or so it happened...the one around ‘07 was really bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Lots of fish dying in Granbury too.

Comment

It's not golden algae... That is a cool water issue. It doesn't do well after like 70 degree water

This sounds like chemicals

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
                  It's not golden algae... That is a cool water issue. It doesn't do well after like 70 degree water

This sounds like chemicals
                  Try again.

Fish Kill update: Possum Kingdom Lake and Lake Granbury
                  The BRA environmental lab has completed evaluation of water samples obtained from Lake Granbury. After reviewing well-collected samples and consulting with Texas Park and Wildlife Department, we’ve determined the cause of the recent fish kill at Lake Granbury is a moderate toxicity golden algae bloom

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
                    Try again.

Fish Kill update: Possum Kingdom Lake and Lake Granbury
                    The BRA environmental lab has completed evaluation of water samples obtained from Lake Granbury. After reviewing well-collected samples and consulting with Texas Park and Wildlife Department, we’ve determined the cause of the recent fish kill at Lake Granbury is a moderate toxicity golden algae bloom

Then this is UNQUESTIONABLY the latest/warmest golden algae on record here.

Look it up tpwd has said before that once the water warms we are past the threatening time

The facts are the facts, it blooms in cooler water more readily than hot.

Would be very interested in seeing the water temps in the affected areas.

Comment

[Would be very interested in seeing the water temps in the affected areas.]

82 degrees.

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
                        Then this is UNQUESTIONABLY the latest/warmest golden algae on record here.

Look it up tpwd has said before that once the water warms we are past the threatening time

The facts are the facts, it blooms in cooler water more readily than hot.

Would be very interested in seeing the water temps in the affected areas.
                        It was 78ish, give or take a degree, last Sunday and there were quite a lot dead fish in that area. I will say that back in a cove there was quite a few less dead fish, much less, than in the open water where there It was deeper.
                        From my dive instructor days I’m assuming there are a couple thermoclines between the surface temp and the temp at the bottom.
                        In theory both of you could be correct.
                        (Disclaimer: I have no clue at what depth golden algae can bloom or what causes it to bloom)

Diving after the big fish kill years ago made the hair stand up on my neck, I’d never been down and seen no life what so ever. Very eerie.

Comment

The river also.got a ton of.runoff from recent.storms.out west, bringing a lot of cooler.rain water.into the north end of the lake. Along with high saline and mineral.levels. it blended with warm and that is why the bloom wasn't worse.

Comment

Millions of fish of all sizes dieing on Grandbury. I know someone who lives on the lake. He said TP&W confirmed it as GA. He was raised by a TP&W GW.

The fish are bite-n and there's hogs to be killed, gotta go!

Comment

Any word if it'll affect Whitney?

Comment

Working...
                              X