Objective lens diameter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Objective lens diameter?

What’s your general preference for a hunting rifle; 32mm, 40mm, 50mm, larger? Reasoning?

Comment

My scope has a 56mm objective. I like the higher magnification (14x) so the better light gathering of the larger lens is always a plus. Not as much dimming with the larger glass. Side note: I also prefer the 30mm tubes for the same reasons.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Comment

40-44 is my usual go to. I do like a 30mm tube though to go along with it when I can.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

I run a leupold vx3 4.5x14x50, but have also tried my NF 56.. I think 50 gives you enough with out going to big. 40 to me isn’t enough FOV

Comment

Mostly classic rifles in my safe so mostly 32-40.

Comment

I like the 40’s .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by MUZZYSLINGR View Post
                I like the 40’s .

Me too

Comment

4-12x50 is my sweet spot scope choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I prefer 50 mm for most of my applications, but sometimes, I will use 40 mm. I have for many years liked the large 50 mm front objectives, for light gathering, probably helps with field of view, but never considered that. Really most longer shots, a large front objective is probably not really needed, but it definitely helps when there is less light, such as overcast, or early morning, later afternoon. I definitely prefer at least 42 mm front objectives. I try to find 50 mm whenever I can. Even my 458 SOCOM, has a 50 mm front objective, 3-9X scope on it, mainly for the light gathering ability, since I figure it will mainly be used for hog hunting.

Comment

I like a 42-50mm objective and leaning more towards the 44 these days.

Remember, glass quality will always trump objective diameter.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

I prefer the 40's. Anything larger than that doesn't look good to me. My wife has a 50 on her 22/250 though.

Comment

I like the largest objective that can fit with medium/standard rings, which is usually 40-44mm. I don't like how the rifle fits with high rings. Now some rifles have raised combs designed to fit with larger objective scopes, and in those cases, I would choose the biggest objective that fits comfortably. Larger objective means more light collected. Now, I would say get the best glass you can. A smaller objective with better glass will be better than a larger objective with lesser glass most of the time.

Comment

42-44mm objective with a 34mm tube.

Comment

I try to keep a 4:1 ratio of max magnification to objective diameter. That way you will get the maximum amount of light transmission through the optic.

For example a ACLP that has 10x magnification I would use a minimum 40mm objective.

Obviously with the really high magnification optics that isn’t an option but on a high magnification one I get the largest objective size available.

Comment

Working...
                              X