Mango habanero jam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mango habanero jam

First attempt at making jelly/jam, because I gotta find something to do with my very happy, heavy producing habanero bush!

So, apparently jelly is made with juice, jam is made with fruit. This will be jam then!

6 habaneros
    6 mangos cut into chunks
    1 pineapple cut into chunks
    1 big red bell pepper
    2 cups apple cider vinegar
    7 cups sugar
    1 box Sure Jell pectin
    10 8oz ball jars and lids

Do all the stuff you need to do to clean and sterilize your jars. Place the habaneros, mango, pineapple, and red bell pepper in a blender or food processor. Purée, but don’t liquefy it. Add 1 cup apple cider vinegar and blend just to mix in.

Pour the purée into a big pot, add 1 cup apple cider vinegar and 7 cups sugar and slowly bring to a boil. Stir frequently so it doesn’t burn or boil over. Boil 10 minutes. Add pectin. Return to boil 1 minute and remove from heat. Basically, follow the directions on the box of Sure Jell, just substitute the fruit/peppers. Easy recipe.

Place in jars and then follow instructions for water bath or pressure canning. Let sit overnight to set.

This came out really good for a first attempt. To make it more “friendly” you could easily reduce the habaneros down to 3, and it will still have a kick. With 6 good sized fresh peppers it’s about a 6.5-7 on a scale where 1 is Welch’s and 10 is “take me to the hospital”. Typical habanero flavor with increasing heat, different from a jalapeño that hits you with everything it’s got from the beginning. Our lips and throats were burning pretty good, but we kept going back for more.

Really good on crackers with cream cheese, like that razzpolte stuff you can buy. ...today the boys and I will try making PB&J sammiches with it. Should be interesting!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’d eat it

Comment

Sounds good!

Comment

Yep!

Comment

In, I like it hot!

Comment

I’ll bet it’s good!

Comment

It looks fine, now I'd like to try some.
              I'm looking for a recipe of good mango-curry souse. Have you ever heard of this?

Comment

I was going to try this because I love this kind of stuff, favorite is from S. Africa but I found some at Sklenarik's in Miles, TX...so I bought a jar and I'm good for now.

Comment

I just finished filling jars and am getting ready to do the water bath. This stuff is good, and hot. Mine turned out much more orange than red.

Comment

Originally posted by twostepct View Post
                    I just finished filling jars and am getting ready to do the water bath. This stuff is good, and hot. Mine turned out much more orange than red.

Awesome! The red bell pepper I used was pretty huge so it probably came out more red than the next time I make it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice! I did this with blackberries and Tabasco last year. Got full bushes, habaneros are slow right now though.

Comment

Working...
                      X