No announcement yet.

Bug out system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't have any plans on leaving anywhere. I stocked up on ammo many years ago and mags. Then I have certain guns, that no matter how much I don't have a immediate need for them now, they are not going to be for sale. I possibly should have stocked up on other ammo and more mags, but what I have, depending on how something was to play out, could last quite a while. My thoughts, if things really got bad, is fuel. I have considered the idea of buying a older mechanical injection diesel, that is **** near bullet proof, so it is cheaper and easier to work on, than the modern electronic injected diesels. Then you can store diesel fuel for a long time, it won't go bad. That is the one thing, I don't like about gasoline, is it will go bad, with time. Yea, I could spend a lot of money on 55 gallons drums of race fuel and stock pile it. But that would be a lot of money for not much fuel, for long term use. If we can get our ag exemption, then by farm diesel and keep a large tank of it on the property. I could use that for my tractor and then for a older diesel truck, if things got really bad. But then I guess we could get back to the old ways and take up owning and riding horses again.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
      I don't have any plans on leaving anywhere. I stocked up on ammo many years ago and mags. Then I have certain guns, that no matter how much I don't have a immediate need for them now, they are not going to be for sale. I possibly should have stocked up on other ammo and more mags, but what I have, depending on how something was to play out, could last quite a while. My thoughts, if things really got bad, is fuel. I have considered the idea of buying a older mechanical injection diesel, that is **** near bullet proof, so it is cheaper and easier to work on, than the modern electronic injected diesels. Then you can store diesel fuel for a long time, it won't go bad. That is the one thing, I don't like about gasoline, is it will go bad, with time. Yea, I could spend a lot of money on 55 gallons drums of race fuel and stock pile it. But that would be a lot of money for not much fuel, for long term use. If we can get our ag exemption, then by farm diesel and keep a large tank of it on the property. I could use that for my tractor and then for a older diesel truck, if things got really bad. But then I guess we could get back to the old ways and take up owning and riding horses again.
      I did a quick Google search on the shelf life of diesel fuel and found this.

"If you look at technical manuals or fuel specifications rules written 15-20 years ago, they all talk about fuel storage life being 1.5 - 2 years. This was before market changes and ultra-low sulfur diesel came along. Now, they're finding changes in fuel composition after as little as 28 days. Now this is ok if the fuel is burned in an average span of time - surveys show that the average amount of time it takes to consume diesel fuel is 14-24 days after it leaves the refinery. But when the storage time exceeds this (such as for fuels for emergency backup systems), now there's real doubt that the fuel is going to perform as needed when needed."

Looks like the ultra-low sulfur diesel has screwed us again.

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
        Edit to shorten. Buy a bunch of mags and a bunch of ammo. It's your duty as an American.
        I guess this couldve been the entire thread.

I've realized I don't have enough mags or ammo. Does everyone else?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Bug out to where? No reason to run and hide. Your home is the best fortress.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
            Bug out to where? No reason to run and hide. Your home is the best fortress.
            I figured the bug out sentiment was close to what I've been thinking about lately.

Recent events showed me I'm not fully ready if things got real cross. I havent followed K.I.S.S and should.

Time to up my preparedness.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Now we have a good idea what it takes to be prepared for a pandemic. Buy lots of toilet paper! 😀 A pandemic may be one of the more likely scenarios to prepare for. Another and possibly worse pandemic can start any time. Ebola virus has spread in Africa again recently. Hand sanitizer, disinfectant, Surgical masks, nitrile gloves, are hard to come by once a pandemic starts.

We are currently experiencing civil unrest. Another scenario to prepare for. Firearms and ammo are hard to come by once a pandemic or civil unrest starts. Best to have what you need ahead of time. Only you can know how many guns, magazines, and Ammo to have on hand to feel safe and comfortable.

Lots of scenarios to prepare for, some more likely than others but it’s better to have a few items on hand Just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by Rakkasan2187 View Post
                I live in Kansas about 30 mile S of Olathe KS
                Incident with wolf creek nuclear plant could be an issue.

Great place to live though. Bet most of us have greater risk than you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                  I did a quick Google search on the shelf life of diesel fuel and found this.

"If you look at technical manuals or fuel specifications rules written 15-20 years ago, they all talk about fuel storage life being 1.5 - 2 years. This was before market changes and ultra-low sulfur diesel came along. Now, they're finding changes in fuel composition after as little as 28 days. Now this is ok if the fuel is burned in an average span of time - surveys show that the average amount of time it takes to consume diesel fuel is 14-24 days after it leaves the refinery. But when the storage time exceeds this (such as for fuels for emergency backup systems), now there's real doubt that the fuel is going to perform as needed when needed."

Looks like the ultra-low sulfur diesel has screwed us again.
                  Its not just low sulphur content, it also has biodiesel mixed in. Which is another problem to add on top of the low sulphur.

Comment

Thanks for bringing up this subject. I have plenty of ammo, magazines and mostly just specified 9 & 45. I am noticing I don't have enough cash on hand. And if can not access ATM's then I got issues. Been having a hard time getting into the bank, just busy. Found out my ATM card stopped working. So part of your bug out bag is access to cash, cash on hand. How much depends on you. I am going to increase my cash on hand to at least 2k. I usually don't keep that much.

Comment

I also need some more charcoal so I can cook without electricity. Now that it is hurricane season, we should be thinking this. As far as run away - where are you going to go? We should have a plan to go someplace, take dogs & cats and such. Just in case something happens to your house.

Medicine, pain killers.
                      Last edited by 4wheels; 06-06-2020, 11:02 PM.

Comment

You’re a bit late to the party at this point, stuff has been cheap for a long time. I’d get what you need to deal with the current climate and then stockpile in the future. Palmetto state has Pmags for $12, they have been $8 until recently.

I have two 14.5” AR’s in the safe, one is lightweight with a red dot, the other is more precision oriented with a 1-4x scope. There are 10 loaded Pmags that have been tested for function and live in the safe. If they are put into use, things have gotten bad. Another 30 are wrapped in plastic as replacents for my training mags if they fail, I expect we will see another AWB at some point. Ten GI aluminum mags are in there also in case some weird stuff happens with Pmags in the future and they start cracking.

I’ve got about another 1,000 rounds of 5.56 on hand and then stuff to load 2,000 training rounds and 500 precision rounds.

My “get home” bag lately has contained an 8.5” .300 Blackout pistol with 3 mags and a compact plate carrier.

One thing to keep in mind if you don’t want to keep a bunch of stuff on hand is choosing less popular rounds. There’s a lot of .357 Sig, 10mm, and .44 Magnum on the shelves right now.

Comment

Yes you can store enough of certain items to “last until the end of your days”. I have enough Bic lighters, fishhooks, fishing line, dental floss, tooth brushes, salt, freeze dried coffee, and 22 ammo to last until the end of my grandchildren’s days.

Comment

Working...
                          X