Choosing my gun safe ?'s.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choosing my gun safe ?'s.

I am in the process of choosing a gun safe and I have the safe's that fellow TBH'ers have recommended. on my list to look at. My question is this and I know most say double what you think you need. Here is my list of the few guns i have so what size would the TBH brotherhood recommend.

5 shotguns
    3 scoped rifles
    10 pistols

Only thing I might buy in the future is a bigger bore rifle than what I have now.

Thanks.

Like you’ve stated, nobody ever said, “I wish I had a smaller safe, barn, etc.”. You might take into consideration non-firearm items. (Passports, will, jewelry, etc.). It fills up fast. Tractor Supply puts on some good deals periodically.

Comment

I would go as big as my budget allowed.

Comment

You could get away with a small 12 gun safe for the rifles and shotguns. But I would look for something a little bigger such as a 18 or 24 gun safe just to ensure it is large enough for the pistols and all the extras (ammo, mags, ext.) you may want to put in there as well.

Another question is where do you plan on putting it? A closet or something may have limiting factors for the overall size.

Myself I went and got the biggest I could afford. I have a 48 gun but nowhere near that many guns. Sometime though I still think its a little small.

Comment

I store a lot of other stuff besides firearms in mine. I had rather have excess room than have to leave something out that should be in there.

Comment

Anything scoped will take up 2 spaces !

Comment

You can also store other valuables in it along with your weapons when you're out of town, like wife's jewelry, etc... get a little bigger than you think you need.

Comment

Walk-in size

Comment

As stated, go bigger than current gun needs even if you are fairly certain you will only add limited guns in the future. 24-36+ slots for your needs. Price difference is fairly negligible from the really small ones.

Comment

Think of it like a six man tent. Ever tried to sleep six people in a six man tent? Two people with a little gear is still crowded in one! Get a bigger one than you think you need.

Comment

I'm just glad I don't own any guns...that way I don't have to worry about space to store them. That all sounds so stressful [emoji30]

Comment

I think my Liberty Franklin safe is a 40 gun safe if I remember right but realistically, there is no way you could get 36 long guns in it.

It is big enough for what I need but remember, there are a lot of valuable items you will put in your safe besides firearms. I have jewelry, important papers, binos and spotting scope etc. So definitely go bigger than what you think you will need.

I definitely like the I side door panel where you can put pistols, paper documents etc.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Go bigger for sure. I wish I did when I bought my safe.

Comment

Safe hack - take the bolts out of the guns so you can stack them close and not ding them up. Just remember that you don't have a bolt in your gun when you grab it to go hunting!

Comment

I did some research on purchasing gun safes for a state agency for which I formally worked. Of course, it makes sense to shop price and size, but the most important thing to shop is quality. Cheaply made gun safes are not worth the lower price they charge for them. Look for things like heavier gauge steel and sophistry of the locking mechanism. There are other things to take into consideration as well: delivery and installation. If you're purchasing an 800 lb safe, you don't want to move it yourself. The warranty does not cover the safe if YOU drop it, but it does if the vendor or transport service does. The agency for which I worked learned this the hard way, but that was before my time.

I can't remember all the features I analyzed and compared, nor can I remember the name of the manufacturer we ultimately purchased from, but I happy to do a little research and see what I can find.

Comment

Working...
                              X