Jaw bones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jaw bones

Any guesses? Not a trick question. Not trying to settle any debates. Just curious how old TBH thinks these deer are based on their tooth wear.

Buck 1

Buck 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buck 1: 4 but possibly 5

Buck 2: 4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Buck 1: abnormal tooth wear, 4.5+

Buck 2: 5.5+ (Mature)

Comment

#1 5
        #2 6

Comment

Buck 1's not that old. He just doesn't brush well. Lol. Sorry, I'm no help.

Comment

Curious if you have watched these deer for a while? What are their ages? In for the answer.

Comment

Jaw bones

Originally posted by DeerGeek View Post
              Curious if you have watched these deer for a while? What are their ages? In for the answer.

No, never seen either one of them.
              The broken teeth are interesting. Curious how that happened and how it effects tooth wear.

Here are pictures of the bucks on the hoof. I was thinking 4.5 and 6.5 or 5.5 and 6.5 but both could be 5.5. Just wondering what others thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk hi

Comment

I think the pics tell us more than those teeth. Both are 5 plus and great deer to take. I'm sure you are keeping history on your deer now. After you do that for a few years those teeth will disappoint you.

One last thing.... I know you can save corn by filling feeders with pea gravel but that first deer at too much of it!

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                  I think the pics tell us more than those teeth. Both are 5 plus and great deer to take. I'm sure you are keeping history on your deer now. After you do that for a few years those teeth will disappoint you.

One last thing.... I know you can save corn by filling feeders with pea gravel but that first deer at too much of it!
                  I'll agree with this.

Comment

Buck #1: A wildlife veterinarian told me that excessive and premature wear/decay on a single tooth was caused by an illness and high fever the deer aquired when that tooth was developing. But typically we see it on tooth #4, the first molar, when the deer had illness when a young fawn. Since that's on tooth #3 then I would postulate that the illness occurred sometime around 1.5 - 2 yrs because it typically erupts at year 2. I'm aware of no research relating to impacts on other teeth. Age 5 yrs although dentine width on back tooth could be debatable to indicate 4 yrs.

Buck #2: 4 yrs. Tooth #4 shows enough wear to meet 5 yr criteria but dentine on tooth #6 much too thin.

With regards to "opinions". The method was designed to remove as much subjectivity as possible, therefore everyone should arrive at the same conclusion provided everyone has a clear understanding of the criteria for each age. However there are judgement calls regarding width of dentine relative to enamel that could be solved with a micrometer, but that'd be stupid. There also are times when left side meets criteria for a 4 yr old and right side meets 5 yr old criteria, or like buck #2 have conflicting teeth on the same side. Other than those anomalies being open to interpretation, everyone should arrive at the same age. There's no reason, based on tooth wear, for either of those bucks to be called anything other than 4 or 5.

Comment

buck #2 is 4.5 let him walk this year........

Comment

Both 6.5

Comment

Originally posted by cominahead View Post
                          buck #2 is 4.5 let him walk this year........

Guessing somebody didn't read the entire thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Double L View Post
                            Guessing somebody didn't read the entire thread?
                            Or made a real funny!

Comment

LMAO!!! Epic.

Comment

Working...
                              X