Fairfield Lake State Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fairfield Lake State Park

Anyone else draw this year? What’s the deer forecast?

I camped out there years ago with the family but haven’t hunted the park before. I’ve heard it’s by “assigned blind,” but that some of the blinds are just brush piles. Will they let you set your own pop-up? Let you hunt all day? Is there a skinning shed-type facility? Able to use the full hook-up trailer sites in the park?

Thanks y’all. Looking forward to it.

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
    Anyone else draw this year? What’s the deer forecast?

I camped out there years ago with the family but haven’t hunted the park before. I’ve heard it’s by “assigned blind,” but that some of the blinds are just brush piles. Will they let you set your own pop-up? Let you hunt all day? Is there a skinning shed-type facility? Able to use the full hook-up trailer sites in the park?

Thanks y’all. Looking forward to it.

My son got drawn last year. It is assigned blinds and yeah, I think most are brush piles but you can take your own pop up. Even if you don’t take a pop up make sure to take chairs. I’m fairly certain you can hunt all day, you can hand corn. I don’t remember about skinning shed thing. The campsites are only open to hunters if I remember correctly and they have RV hook ups to I think. Good luck! We didn’t see anything, but only hunted first evening and next morning due to my son getting sick. Good luck though!! It’s a nice park for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I believe you can take your own pop-up, as long as you put it close to their assigned blind. Either way, take you own chair so you will be comfy. I went on an antlerless hunt their a few years ago and believe they only had a folding chair in the blind. I saw deer every sit, unfortunately most were bucks. The only doe that presented a shot, did so directly between me and my truck, so she got a pass.

Good luck!

Comment

Daugher drew last year. The blinds are cattle panel with brush and assigned. You can take a pop up but ide brush it in. Take chairs. You can hand corn. My daughter had a shot at a doe and killed a pig. We saw one doe a small fork horn and 30 or so pigs. They have a skinning rack with water and a light.

Comment

You can hunt as long as you want. Check in going in and check out for the night. Staff was friendly. If it is doe and spike it has to be a true slick horn spike to shoot so be careful.

Comment

Any other question just message me and I will see if I can help out.

Comment

All the blinds are brushpiles, we have drawn there 3 of the last 4 years, pig population is much higher than the deer

Comment

Thanks y'all. Dad and I have applied every year and finally drew with 8 points in the antlerless/spike category. The 25% success rate seems low for a park hunt. Any comments there? I know a lot of folks can only hunt the first couple days on these draw hunts. We are planning to stay until the hunt period ends or we tag out.

Comment

Its one of the tougher park hunts recently, with the pig population exploding out there the last 10 years I think some pass on the pigs hoping to see a deer and never do. It has been a talking point at orientation if you see pigs shoot them.

Comment

Yes lots of pigs. They would love for people to shoot more. We saw alot of pigs on the pipeline row . My daughter missed the doe at stand 13 or 14 if I remember correctly. One kid shot two big doe not far from the park police officers house.

Comment

Getting close.

Comment

I'll be there as well, looking forward to it

Comment

Is the hunting near the campground? We camped there for the Gus Engling hunt a few weeks back. Driving in and out saw a ton of deer. Three decent 8 points.

Comment

Can't shoot bucks there except true spikes

Comment

Getting rained on now at blind 14.
                              Last edited by 30-30; 01-06-2021, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X