Richland Creek South hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mdoug1076 View Post
    I’m hunting the 10/2-10/11. I’ll only be there on weekends(except the first Friday) because I start a new job next week and don’t have PTO. I only have a 4x4 truck with stock tires so we may to exchange numbers to pull each other out. I hunted Keechi last year and could drive where I needed and had no issues but it was a dry year. Not sure how the compartments work. I don’t mind walking a few miles if needed but walking in water isn’t much fun.

Also, I’ll be willing to pay a little cash to anyone who would be willing to Uber me to my compartment via ORV/ATV lol.
    You can't drive your 4x4 around in there on the clear cuts, for south unit in vehicle with no ATV your basically stuck in the parking lots and paved roads and have to walk in

Comment

Originally posted by gscout01 View Post
      Also. Who knows the rules on packing out game? Do they have to come out field dressed? Or can they be quartered? Really dont feel like messing with a game cart. Would much rather pack anything out
      They weigh them at check station and will tell you if they want them dressed or not, negative on the quartering

Originally posted by wellRed View Post
      I am same dates. Does anyone know if the Trinity is navigable on that stretch from that launch by the north unit down to the SE corner? If the water situation is what I am reading it is, might be a viable option to access via boat instead of hump it.
      I think you have to access the place from where they tell you to go in and thats roads only not the river at least thats what it was on the regular draw hunts.
      Last edited by bossbowman; 09-14-2020, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
        They weigh them at check station and will tell you if they want them dressed or not, negative on the quartering

I think you have to access the place from where they tell you to go in and thats roads only not the river at least thats what it was on the regular draw hunts.
        Thanks, will try to call today and ask some questions. Will post answers here.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
          You can't drive your 4x4 around in there on the clear cuts, for south unit in vehicle with no ATV your basically stuck in the parking lots and paved roads and have to walk in
          Thank you for the information

Comment

Appreciate the responses

Comment

Does anyone have a compartment map they are willing to share? Assuming there are 40 compartments based on hunt dates and number of hunters selected. Thank you

Comment

Does anyone have a compartment map they are willing to share? Assuming there are 40 compartments based on hunt dates and number of hunters selected. Thank you
                Theres one here in the public land archives if you search back far enough, going to have to do some digging for that one. If I remember they have south unit split into 13 compartments but that may have since changed they do tend to do some revisions over the years, I know the north unit used to be 9 compartments but thats changed with the wetlands being built. If your a single or even double you will definitely be sharing a compartment with other people, hopefully you don't get put with "that guy", the joys of public hunting. They group people by if you have a 4x4 or not and if you have an ATV or don't.
                Last edited by bossbowman; 09-14-2020, 08:15 PM.

Comment

I spoke with someone at the Headquarters and he said they were not sure how they were going to break it up, depends on the river level. Said they are not using the compartment map that I found. So IDK

Comment

I’ll hunt the compartment close to the parking lot, probably the driest and one with the most deer. I plan to make a trip out there soon before season opens and look around.

Comment

I’ll hunt the compartment close to the parking lot, probably the driest and one with the most deer. I plan to make a trip out there soon before season opens and look around.
                      Haha, I bet you would with those conditions! I like how you think. I don't have an ATV, trying to find a loaner, really dont want to buy one but just know I will get the BFE Unit they wont allow me to use my boat to get to.

If they let us use the river for access, I don't mind dropping folks off if there is a need.

Comment

I just bought an ATV and trailer yesterday so now I'm all set. Been wanting to get one anyway but drawing this hunt and Big Lake Bottom helped prod me to go ahead and do so. Makes this place seem a little less daunting for sure after spending a day out there scouting.

Anyone know if you have to reserve the campsites during the hunt?

Comment

Originally posted by wellRed View Post
                          Haha, I bet you would with those conditions! I like how you think. I don't have an ATV, trying to find a loaner, really dont want to buy one but just know I will get the BFE Unit they wont allow me to use my boat to get to.

If they let us use the river for access, I don't mind dropping folks off if there is a need.
                          Have you called them?, just a guess but I think they are going to say no because of safety. Do you need an air boat of at least jet drive on that part of the trinity?

Comment

Originally posted by jomw10 View Post
                            I'll be there for the November hunt
                            Originally posted by Sideler View Post
                            Is this the 1st year that baiting is allowed?

Did anyone else draw the Dec. 4th Hunt? I’ll be there solo.
                            Originally posted by SETXslayer View Post
                            I will be there for the hunt on the 4th
                            I drew the Nov. 4 hunt as well.

Comment

The brochure indicates that ATV's must have current registration and the operator must have successfully completed an ATV safety course. I guess I need to get on this ASAP.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by salth2o View Post
                                The brochure indicates that ATV's must have current registration and the operator must have successfully completed an ATV safety course. I guess I need to get on this ASAP.
                                It used to be red tape out the wazoo, I guess someone got hurt and sued. I've been there when they told guys they couldn't use their shiny new toys, you should have seen the butthurt.

Comment

Working...
                                X