Drawn for Aransas NWR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drawn for Aransas NWR

I was drawn for Archery at the Aransas NWR. 10/3-10/11 Anybody else get drawn and more important has anybody hunted there. I have never been. What can I expect in the way of camping area, etc...and hunting areas. I have my book so I will start the research but any help from those that have hunted this are would be great.

Larry

I drew those dates as well. Probably won’t make the hunt but the other guys in my group will. In for information

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It's been a lot of years since I've been down there, but you used to be able to camp on the side of the road outside the entrance. No idea if that is still true. Hunting can be a little tough. Kind of thick woods.

Comment

We did as well. Maybe we can meet up and learn from each other.

Comment

My wife and I drawed a couple of years ago. Camping is no longer allowed on the side of the road. We camped in a town just north of the gate, Austwell. Not bad. Mosquitoes were miserable for hunting. Cover up as much as possible and, yes, it will be hot. I shot a 3 yr buck, not bad, but good eating.

Comment

Skeeters. More skeeters than you've ever seen in your life.

We tent camped at some fish camp not far away.

The people who were successful brought there own tripods.

Comment

I drew this hunt also. I'm in for some info.

Comment

I drew this hunt as well

Comment

We rifle hunted there last December, didn't see any deer during shooting hours but got a small, good eating hog to make up for it.

There was no camping by the entrance. We stayed down at Goose Island SP down by Rockport; really nice campground, but it does take about 45mins of driving each way so build that into your timing for the mornings.

Overall a pretty tough hunt, thick brush and the grass is quite tall, but it was still fun and we agreed we'd go down there again. Pretty unique getting to deer hunt by the beach, if you're from up north like me.

Comment

Hard, hot hunt full of mosquitoes. Consider yourself lucky to even see a deer. I hunted out there once before it was a draw hunt, you just bought a permit and went. I wouldn’t hunt out there if you gave me $500.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                      Hard, hot hunt full of mosquitoes. Consider yourself lucky to even see a deer. I hunted out there once before it was a draw hunt, you just bought a permit and went. I wouldn’t hunt out there if you gave me $500.

My sentiments as well.

Kudos for those that drew. You guys are way tougher/more hardcore than panhandle and me.

Comment

Thermacell is your friend!

Comment

Drew this one as well. Where do y'all plan on staying?

Comment

As mentioned above very tough hunt. I drew for the rifle hunt last year and could not find a dry spot on the entire area other than the roads. I recommend hip boots. I did see a couple of does and a few hogs. Didn’t feel like dragging anything out that day, it was 84 degrees and humid as heck. Thermacell did absolutely no good for me in there. Ended of dousing myself with off. You will get swarmed as soon as you step out of the truck.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
                              As mentioned above very tough hunt. I drew for the rifle hunt last year and could not find a dry spot on the entire area other than the roads. I recommend hip boots. I did see a couple of does and a few hogs. Didn’t feel like dragging anything out that day, it was 84 degrees and humid as heck. Thermacell did absolutely no good for me in there. Ended of dousing myself with off. You will get swarmed as soon as you step out of the truck.
                              Were you there for one of the earlier rifles? By the time we were there in mid-December, it had dried off considerably - fortunately knocked the mosquitoes down a ton.

Comment

Working...
                              X