What 7mm-08 ammo for deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by timberking View Post
    Mine likes the Horandy American Whitetail 139. Best of all, when I find ammo that is usually it.
    This is my go-to round as well. Killed plenty of deer/hogs with it including at Chap a couple weeks ago. All shoulder shots. Most drop in their tracks. I know I waste a little meat shooting in the shoulder but I'm a long time E Texas hunter and hate tracking through thick stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
      Are y’all typically making shoulder shots or neck for whitetails?
      I put everything in the top of the shoulder. I ain’t tracking nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
        Good luck finding ANY 7mm-08 at all right now.
        Yep...I've yet to find any on the shelf. And the folks at the counters that I've spoken to said that 7mm-08 rarely comes in. When it does, its gone

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
        Dang, you may be forced to try to find the "parts" to reload... I just did a search on AmmoSeek.com for 7mm-08 and got zero results... NOTHING found!! WOW!!
        I've been looking everywhere, the only stuff I've found has been super premium at $65-70 a box.
        Originally posted by Kmart49 View Post
        Neck and shoulder for deer when shooting the 120gr. You aren’t going to get much of a blood trail typically but I’ve only had one deer that wasn’t DRT immediately and it only managed to go 6 yards.

I love shooting big pigs with the 120’s also.
        Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
        I put everything in the top of the shoulder. I ain’t tracking nothing.
        Agree with Kmart and panhandle...in 5 years of using almost strictly 7mm-08 for whitetail, I have yet to have one move more than 10'. And that one was a slow backwards stumble on my sons buck this year

As for which round I like best, I've always grabbed Hornady SST's in 139 gr. Couldn't find any this year when I went to looking, came across Core-Lokts. Performed better than I anticipated, but I now have Winchester XP 140 gr. I tried to use the this weekend, but no big boys cooperated down south

Comment

I will admit I know next to nothing about guns. When I do use one I use a 7mag. They die wherever I hit them

Can someone post a pic of exactly where this high shoulder shot is that will drop a deer in its tracks from a 7mm-08?

I want my wife to have confidence in her new gun. Thanks for all the tips and ammo recommendations.

Comment

I wish it wasn't a walking pic, but straight up the leg and about 3-4" inches below the top of the back- (IMO)

Click image for larger version

Name:	deeranatomy shoulder shot.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	24640909

FWIW, I have my wife and son shoot where you'd want an arrow to go.
            Nerves and lack of trigger time plus a 2" shooting ledge (box blind window) will have the bullet landing sometimes off from the desired aiming point.

The center lung shot allows for the largest margin of error (IMO) and still equates to a dead animal. Just might have to walk a few yards to get it. and ruins less meat .

Click image for larger version

Name:	vital pic.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	24640910

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Wow!
                In fairness that was for Nosler Accubonds. Those and BT’s weren’t cheap to start with.

Comment

Federal fusion has been the best out of my featherweight in terms of accuracy and effectiveness

But the real answer to your question is whatever you can find at this point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Heart/lung with core lokts. Had one buck lift it's leg at the shot, bullet took out part of leg bone and drove it through the lungs and top part of heart.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Lazy2P View Post
                      I’d go with a 120 Nosler BT.
                      I would second this. Purchased a Bergara 7mm-08 this fall and ran 5-6 different kinds of Ammo through it. Most of the rounds were 139g and the gun did not like them. The only 139 it would shoot were the Hornady Superformance 139 GMX which performed well. The gun has a 9.5" twist and Bergara recommends 120g. I managed to luck into some Nosler 120g BT and have had extremely good results with them. Very accurate and deadly to over 300 yards. 15-20 deer were killed with this gun, mostly by women and kids and everyone loves it. With a suppressor the recoil is very minimal and much less than 243 in my opinion. Shooting a gun that doesn't knock your shoulder off but drops most everything in its tracks is a lot of fun.

Comment

I use Hornady American Whitetail....but in today's market, get what's available!

Comment

120 grain Nosler BT.

Comment

Working...
                          X