What 7mm-08 ammo for deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Silvey View Post
    I use the Hornady American Whitetail on several big hogs and deer. Works good for me. I think its 139grn.
    Shoot the same round but only 4 shots in past 2 seasons. 1 on a big bore hog at 140+- yards, DRT. 1 on nice 8pt around 160 yards this year. 2 on Big 10pt this year at 260 yards per range finder. 1st shot was a little far back from heart/lung. He ran about 50 yards from initial shot. Stood looking towards me but he was so nice I put 1 more to him hitting him in neck and DRT.

I don't think your wife will find the recoil on this caliber a problem. I'm right handed and have had 2 shoulder surgeries on my right shoulder, reason I had to give up bow hunting but the recoil is nothing at least to my ole' body, lol.

My rifle is the Ruger, Go Wild Camo model with a ported factory barrel by the way. Love the caliber so best of luck to your wife.

Comment

PM sent.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech Shooter View Post
        i have had extremely good luck with the Federal Fusion ammo with both my 7mm-08 and 25-06. Just wish they had some in stock right now.
        My 7-08 loves the Federal Fusion. Tried a bunch, too.

Comment

Originally posted by RCDuck View Post
          When my son got old enough to get him a deer rifle, I purchased a 7-08 and started him with the Hornady Custom Lite's and always had good luck with them on deer and hogs. I thought it made it feel very much like a .243.
          That is what my kids and wife have been shooting. They killed 6 deer and several Javelinas with that load. The damage and distance ran were great but the blood trails weren't the greatest. We saw most of the deer fall in sight but a couple we had to walk the trail they ran down without a blood trail. All were found within 75 yards.

Comment

My tikka likes 140 grain federal trophy boded tip.

Comment

I'm kicking myself for not buying more back in September when I bought my son a youth 7-08. Back then 7-08 was about the only round you could find at Academy and it was always in stock. Seems like it was the last to go and I should have bought more.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                Good luck finding ANY 7mm-08 at all right now.
                Midway has nosler trophy grade accubonds in the other day. Its pricey but I grabbed a few boxes because there has been zero anywhere

Comment

Mine likes the Horandy American Whitetail 139. Best of all, when I find ammo that is usually it.

Comment

Originally posted by tmurray View Post
                    I'm kicking myself for not buying more back in September when I bought my son a youth 7-08. Back then 7-08 was about the only round you could find at Academy and it was always in stock. Seems like it was the last to go and I should have bought more.
                    Midway has some in stock right now. $62/box though.

Comment

I have a box or two of the Hornady American Whitetail as well as some Remington Core-Lokt I can part with. I am in the DFW area.

I will check this afternoon to confirm how much I have. I started reloading and buying the Barnes TTSX 120gr and never looked back.

Comment

The Nosler ballistic tip in 120gr is a dang good round..I'll see if my patna still has some.I know he had a mountain of it a few months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                          Midway has some in stock right now. $62/box though.

Wow!

Comment

Are y’all typically making shoulder shots or neck for whitetails?

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                              Tucked right in the shoulder crease with 140 gr. Fusion for whitetail, though a head shot is always doable on does. I try to head shoot all pigs.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post

Neck and shoulder for deer when shooting the 120gr. You aren’t going to get much of a blood trail typically but I’ve only had one deer that wasn’t DRT immediately and it only managed to go 6 yards.

I love shooting big pigs with the 120’s also.

Comment

Working...
                                X