Factory picatinny rail screws loosened

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Factory picatinny rail screws loosened

I have a mossberg mvp that came with a factory installed picatinny rail. I recently changed scopes and was sighting in yesterday and was keyholing then my poi shifted 4 inches right. I checked the scope and rings and found the whole assembly was loosey goosey. The rail screws had backed out loose and there was moisture between the rail and the receiver. The rifle had been indoors then went to shoot in the cold. I got to wondering if the temperature difference and shooting caused condensation of the outside humidity coupled with recoil vibration and loosened up the factory screw adhesive.

Anyhow...I dried everything, blew out the receiver screw holes and being sans blue loctite I was about to use some red loctite and read PERMANENT on the package. I decided to forego the permanent red and went with some extra strength (non gel) clear fingernail polish I have with my archery tackle. Yall reckon the clear polish will weather the temps and shock on a 223 or should I go ahead and reseat all the screws with blue loctite?

Bed the pic rail with jb weld quick. Dont use any release agent on the rail or action. If you ever need to remove it a little tap with dead blow or some heat will the the trick. Then once the bed job is done and cured use blue loctite on the screws. Then little dab of nail polish on top of the screw heads when all is done. Your rail will be flat and nothing will wver come loose. If you wanna watch a video on bedding scope rail. Jeff brozovich has a good one on the longrangeonly YouTube channel

Comment

Hmmm. JB Welding the rail. With the quick. Interesting.

Seems like blue loctite on the screws and polish on the heads is redundant. But thats okay.

Thanks for the youtube lead MrFisher.

Comment

I'd have to go back with the loctite. I'd be thinking about that nail polish giving.

Comment

Those screws should be fine with the nail polish. It doesn't take much keep them from backing out.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
            Hmmm. JB Welding the rail. With the quick. Interesting.

Seems like blue loctite on the screws and polish on the heads is redundant. But thats okay.

Thanks for the youtube lead MrFisher.
            no problem. all my rifles get the same thing done before i mount scopes. 33's down to 22lr. there are other videos out there as well.

I bed the rail to the action with Jb weld quick. i do not use any release agent on the rail or action. i do this for 2 main reasons. the rail in now flat. A lot of actions even some of the top are not 100% flat. if you just screw down the rail it will end up with a slight bend. this transfers into the rings and then the scope... i dont use release agent in order to allow the Jb weld to help hold the rail in place which takes stress of the screws.

i put blue loctite on threads of the rail to action screws and torque down after jb is cured. i then put a small dab of finger nail polish on top of the screw heads (color of choice haha) this does a couple things for me. super easy visual to see if the screws somehow come loose and also protects against a little rust and maybe finally a little more help in keeping them from spinning out.

i actually mount my standard rings like Talley LW the same way. just bed the rings to action instead of the rail
            Last edited by OSU Fisher; 01-09-2021, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OSU Fisher View Post
              no problem. all my rifles get the same thing done before i mount scopes. 33's down to 22lr. there are other videos out there as well.

I bed the rail to the action with Jb weld quick. i do not use any release agent on the rail or action. i do this for 2 main reasons. the rail in now flat. A lot of actions even some of the top are not 100% flat. if you just screw down the rail it will end up with a slight bend. this transfers into the rings and then the scope... i dont use release agent in order to allow the Jb weld to help hold the rail in place which takes stress of the screws.

i put blue loctite on threads of the rail to action screws and torque down after jb is cured. i then put a small dab of finger nail polish on top of the screw heads (color of choice haha) this does a couple things for me. super easy visual to see if the screws somehow come loose and also protects against a little rust and maybe finally a little more help in keeping them from spinning out.

i actually mount my standard rings like Talley LW the same way. just bed the rings to action instead of the rail
              Makes sense to fill the machining variance voids between the rail/rings and receiver to minimize torqueing of the receiver screws.

Thanks again.

Comment

I've used nail polish on a lot of stuff and haven't had any problems

Comment

Originally posted by OSU Fisher View Post
                  Bed the pic rail with jb weld quick. Dont use any release agent on the rail or action. If you ever need to remove it a little tap with dead blow or some heat will the the trick. Then once the bed job is done and cured use blue loctite on the screws. Then little dab of nail polish on top of the screw heads when all is done. Your rail will be flat and nothing will wver come loose. If you wanna watch a video on bedding scope rail. Jeff brozovich has a good one on the longrangeonly YouTube channel

I do something close but not quite the same. Bedding the rails I think is good practice.

Comment

Well keyholing rounds wouldn’t be caused by a loose scope. That would be a barrel or ammunition problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by QuackHunter View Post
                      Well keyholing rounds wouldn’t be caused by a loose scope. That would be a barrel or ammunition problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Thought the same thing!

Comment

Working...
                      X