No announcement yet.

Retirement outside of the US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I spent a couple weeks in Costa Rica in 2018 and again in 2019. Really enjoyed my time there in Jaco/Los Suenos and in Quepos/Manuel Antonio. I could spend months there at a time, but can’t imagine giving up my life in Texas.

Comment

Costa Rica, Belize, Bahamas and New Zealand are on the short list

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Roads View Post
        Been looking at a lot of options for retirement. Looking real hard at Costa Rica. Anyone have any real input on this? Might consider some other countries as well.
        A mix of public (universal, government run) and private healthcare at much lower cost than in the US. Considered some of the best healthcare in Latin America.

Comment

Originally posted by HOOKNBULLET2 View Post
          I spent a couple weeks in Costa Rica in 2018 and again in 2019. Really enjoyed my time there in Jaco/Los Suenos and in Quepos/Manuel Antonio. I could spend months there at a time, but can’t imagine giving up my life in Texas.
          I'm afraid of what our "life in Texas" will look like in 4 years!

Comment

I have heard Costa Rica is a popular place for Americans to retire to. Old farts go down there and marry young Costa Ricans, live in the jungle and make up their own rules. Works for me.

My wife has a uncle that did just that, nobody in the family has hear from him in years.

Comment

Coworker retired to Thailand but he had married a Thai women while in the Air Force.

Comment

I been thinking more of this lately.....Costa Rica sounds amazing

Comment

Wife wants to go to The Philippines cause she's from there and we already have a house there. But I'm not too keen on the permanently part, You know, Children, grands and sooner or later, greats.

Comment

Leaving Texas, not a problem. Giving up my gun, not happening.
                    If I leave Texas, it will be for Oklahoma, and I’m already well on my way to having my house up there paid for.

Comment

I have a friend who spends about 5-6 weeks at a time in Costa Rica, 2-3 times a year. He says he'll retire there.

Comment

New Zealand.

Comment

I would advise renting for a year and make sure the book reads like the cover. Have known a couple guys that changed their minds after a year or two and its costly.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                            I would advise renting for a year and make sure the book reads like the cover. Have known a couple guys that changed their minds after a year or two and its costly.
                            This!!!! I've known a few who did and couldn't take it. No beef, no many things we take for granted.

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                              Costa Rica, Belize, Bahamas and New Zealand are on the short list
                              You either have to have to have a job to move to New Zealand or you have to pay the Government a hefty sum of money to do so! This is what I was told.

Comment

Well, I’m dying right here in Texas boys and I’ll be carrying my gun when I kick out. Foreign countries hold zero interest for me, but good luck to those of you who are interested. Do the rest of us a favor, and tuck a liberal under each arm as you board the boat, or airplane.

Comment

Working...
                                X