X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That would save you about 50 minutes of driving

Comment

Originally posted by scubasteven25 View Post
      I try to keep it at 5 mph over the speed limit and set the cruise control. The drivers that bug me the most are the one's who vary their speed by a great amount; aka not using the cruise control. You go to pass them and they speed up. You get behind them again and they slow down.
      We have more in common than a screen name! This is my biggest pet peeve when traveling. Cruising in the left lane is a close second.

Comment

Well, you know me! I always drive the speed limit!

Comment

Originally posted by bowfishin fool View Post
          Wrong..

Let’s play a game of math

If I’m on the road for 400 miles today with a speed limit of 65mph and I maintain 10 MPH faster, then that gets me there how much faster boys??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          We are making the 1200 mile drive to North Carolina to see my daughter next week. I will drive an average of 10mph faster than the posted speed limit. Driving the posted speed limit, it says that it would be an 18.5 hr drive. If I average 10mph above the speed limit the whole trip I can shave almost 2 hrs off of my trip.

Comment

I just turned 50 in October so I have been driving awhile and the Sunday after thanksgiving I saw something I had never seen before on the road.

The last leg of the trip coming back to Houston is on IH 45 south. Entering 45 S near Teague. Roughly 2+ hours to get to my casa.

Knowing it was going to be a crawl on the highway we were in no rush at all. I might do 80 on occasion but am not a speeder.

We get on 45 headed south. I am doing 75 in the RT lane and felt like I was going to get run off the road. Bud with me was thinking the same thing. *** is going on. It wasn't just a small pack of speeders, it was every car on the road hauling fast. Not some sort of rally racers, just everyday travelers.

I don't think I did less than 90 for an hour and a half and was still getting passed by half everyone on the road. Coming over a hill where you could see the crest of the next hill the interstate was practically one solid pack of cars for 1/4-1/2 a mile long. All going 90+.

If I hadn't just put on new tires I would have not have felt good about doing it but I sure was not going to take the feeders home.

Whatever time we "saved" wasn't worth the stress of waiting to see a tire blow then watch the cars turn into dice and scatter everywhere.

Crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by asu-indian View Post
              I drive about 40,000 miles per year, work and hunting. A few years ago if you weren't driving 10 mph over the speed limit, you got run over. Now on a two lane road, if you want to go the speed limit, you can't because someone ahead is driving 50 in a 55. Is it because people are on their phone?

On the interstate, the trucks are so dense and it takes them so long to pass each other that you can't get around them. I'm not bashing on truckers, cause they are our shipping lifeblood but they will pass another truck that is going one mile per hour slower than them, pull over in front of you to do it, then 5 minutes later, they pass and move to the right lane. I'm sure my Amazon packages will be delayed now.
              I just made a trip to Denver and back last month. I can't tell you how many times Truckers did this to me. I'm in the middle of nowhere with my cruise set on 80mhp and I'll be dog gone if those SOBs wouldn't just get right in front of me. I think its some kind of new game for them to pass the time or something.

Comment

Originally posted by JHT View Post
                I just turned 50 in October so I have been driving awhile and the Sunday after thanksgiving I saw something I had never seen before on the road.

The last leg of the trip coming back to Houston is on IH 45 south. Entering 45 S near Teague. Roughly 2+ hours to get to my casa.

Knowing it was going to be a crawl on the highway we were in no rush at all. I might do 80 on occasion but am not a speeder.

We get on 45 headed south. I am doing 75 in the RT lane and felt like I was going to get run off the road. Bud with me was thinking the same thing. *** is going on. It wasn't just a small pack of speeders, it was every car on the road hauling fast. Not some sort of rally racers, just everyday travelers.

I don't think I did less than 90 for an hour and a half and was still getting passed by half everyone on the road. Coming over a hill where you could see the crest of the next hill the interstate was practically one solid pack of cars for 1/4-1/2 a mile long. All going 90+.

If I hadn't just put on new tires I would have not have felt good about doing it but I sure was not going to take the feeders home.

Whatever time we "saved" wasn't worth the stress of waiting to see a tire blow then watch the cars turn into dice and scatter everywhere.

Crazy.
                LOL. Yah they should just make the speed limit 85 on I-45 because no one drives slower than that on the big stretches. When we drive the stretch from here to Ennis before heading Northwest to head toward Abilene, everyone drives 90+ so we do too. I ain't gonna lie, when I hit I-20 East next week heading to the East coast I will probably drive 90mph a lot of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
                  We are making the 1200 mile drive to North Carolina to see my daughter next week. I will drive an average of 10mph faster than the posted speed limit. Driving the posted speed limit, it says that it would be an 18.5 hr drive. If I average 10mph above the speed limit the whole trip I can shave almost 2 hrs off of my trip.

We drove to New Jersey in October. The speed limit outside of Texas is mostly 70 mph. If you drive 70...stay right, those boys were all hauling the mail no matter the state.

I set my cruise at the limit and just keep my eyes open and pay full attention to every direction...they get up on you quick.

Be safe on your travels

Comment

you don't HAVE to drive at or slightly above the speed limit. Its a max, not a freakin' target.

And then all the knuckleheads that have cruise control and don't know how to use or refuse to on highways. Speed up, slow down, speed up, slow down, etc etc.
                    Last edited by tdwinklr; 12-18-2020, 12:01 PM.

Comment

LOL. Yah they should just make the speed limit 85 on I-45 because no one drives slower than that on the big stretches. When we drive the stretch from here to Ennis before heading Northwest to head toward Abilene, everyone drives 90+ so we do too. I ain't gonna lie, when I hit I-20 East next week heading to the East coast I will probably drive 90mph a lot of the time.
                      There in an argument for driving at a higher rate of speed forces you to pay better attention while you are driving. I sure had to.

It all comes out in the wash once you average in a few other trip times.
                      Taking a different route with my girls in the truck last weekend we loaded up the truck in the rain for the ride home and it never stopped raining once the entire way home.

Comment

Semi trucks need a separate lane and should be violated if outside of the lane
                        I got chewed up and spit out by a distracted driver with those long chariot spikes/ wheel lugs while he was passing us on I-10
                        My family is still traumatized when a semi truck passes us doing the limit
                        Attached Files

Comment

All I know is, don't get in the left lane in front of D~Mo. The boy is a freaking maniac!!!!!!!

Hi Dale!

Comment

I drive about thirty five to forty thousand myself.
                            I agree truckers are jack wagons.
                            People going slow in the passing lane and never moving right are too.
                            I run 5 to 10 over on the hwy. I adhere strictly in neighborhoods.
                            I occasionally use an on ramp acceleration lane to pass the side by side trucks. I have been accused of passing on the shoulder. I cannot confirm nor deny those reports.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

The speed limit here is 75 and most passenger vehicle do 80-85
                              Past kerrviile is 80 and 90-95 mph isn’t uncommon for passenger traffic
                              Kinda dicy @ 90-95 mph

When towing I set it @ 70 mph and drive to van horn or valentine
                              Driving any faster doesn’t seem to save much time or $$
                              Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 12-18-2020, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                                Being behind an 18 wheeler passing another at 1/2 mph faster is a beating. I have heard that it’s because their company is tracking speed on GPS and any faster will get them in trouble. True?
                                Not true. They do it because they are bullies and they are bigger then you and they can. It's how they get their rocks off.

Comment

Working...
                                X