No announcement yet.

Drawn for Aransas NWR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow! Definitely not the numbers as the first hunt.

Congrats

Comment

You hung in there. Congrats. That was a tough hunt.

Comment

Drawn for Aransas NWR

I’m going back tomorrow for one last go. Not sure if I will make it a all day sit or not.

Edit: I saw 2 bucks, a 4 pt driving in this AM, and a absolute stud that disappeared as fast as he appeared in the fire break, 3 does (2 of those were driving out tonight), and 10 pigs down the road from my truck when I walked out tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Last edited by SoTXAg06; 12-15-2020, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Nice! Really wish I could do 1 more all day sit just don’t have the time unfortunately

Comment

Might have to refer to this update as Aransas NWR: First Blood Part 2.

Will post more later, but ended up tagging another doe today, and getting a bonus hog. Was off of the refuge by around 2 this afternoon. Looking forward to next year already.

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Ok, a brief synopsis. While I brought a stand, all of my success was off of the ground. I set my stand off of one of the shredded fire breaks, but I was never happy with the view. I reset it a few times, but never did have a great view.

Yesterday morning, I got off of my stand around 8:30 or so to glass the break. Looking east, and then west I didn’t see anything. When I turned back east, I saw a NWR stud about 300 yards down the fire break. He wasn’t there a minute before, but appeared from the brush, and disappeared as quickly. I decided after that to sit in a hog wallow on the break. It was up against the edge of the brush, so I was concealed and had a clear view to the east and west. About an hour in, the doe I tagged yesterday stepped out at <50 yards.

This morning I decided to sit in the hog wallow again. Around 9, I decided to do some walking. I quickly bumped a small buck and two does. I ended up stalking the does for a while, and tagged one several hundred yards later in some tall grass. After quartering her, I was walking down the break when the hog ran across. Dropping my pack, I shouldered my rifle as it ran into the grass. For whatever reason it circled around and I was able to get a shot off. This was all proceeded by about 2 hours of walking.

Comment

Also, my counts for the week.

Bucks: 5 total (3 I would consider shooters, 1 was during scouting and 1 when driving in.)
                  Does: 13 total (All but 4 were while hunting).
                  Pigs: 1, but I heard a bunch.
                  Javelinas: 1

Comment

Doe #1

Doe #2

Hog

Comment

Board when I rolled out yesterday afternoon.

Comment

SoTxAg06 - great job and congrats!

Makes me wish I could’ve made it down there (Got drawn and paid but due to work and school couldn’t go- maybe next year)

Comment

Working...
                        X