Spikes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spikes?

I remember about 30 years ago there were some research came out of Kerrville that encouraged shooting spikes. The claim was that they would never make as good of a deer as a young deer that was a four or six point. Has this consensus changed any in the last 30 years? Any new research?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only spikes i shoot are 2.5yrs or older.

Comment

I only shoot 3.5 year old spikes.

Comment

I think there was some recent research done on some of the bigger ranches encouraging restraint from shooting spikes. In some cases some spikes reached 140 but not sure at what age. I personally have not seen a spike get much bigger than a five or six point on the leases I’ve been on. Usually by the time they make 3 and it’s been a wet year dirt nap.

Comment

I would say no since TPWD has Anterless/Spike hunts

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

Parks and Wildlife’s official stance has not changed to my knowledge. I believe the reason they have not changed is because they have so much invested in the original study that they can’t go back on it. On the other hand, my private biologist tells me not to shoot any 1.5 year old deer including spikes.

Comment

Yes it has changed a lot. Well, for those not involved with TPWD, it has changed a lot.

Comment

So what’s the current non-TPWD consensus lol?

Comment

Everybody except TPWD knows better these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Fry View Post
                      So what’s the current non-TPWD consensus lol?

Here's a thread from several years ago. There's been tons of discussion around here about yearling spikes through the years. Short story: you don't know what a yearling will turn into someday. Let them live long enough to find out before you cull them.

Comment

Yes Sir, that’s old school thought! 3.5 yrs DRT

Comment

Shoot the older long horn spikes and let the yearings and 1 1/2 walk

Comment

Don’t shoot anything until it is 3-4 years old is my theory.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                              Here's a thread from several years ago. There's been tons of discussion around here about yearling spikes through the years. Short story: you don't know what a yearling will turn into someday. Let them live long enough to find out before you cull them.

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...earling+spikes

This is what the latest studies I’ve read encourage
                              Being a spike the first year doesn’t mean anything long term is what the data showed

I let them walk the first year , refer to them as Rudys

Never know[emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X