Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-21-2021, 03:52 AM   #1
LlanoHunter10
Eight Point

Hunt In: Llano
Default I Don't Matter

I'm a Trainee at a chemical plant on my way to be certified in a month and was just told by one person that right now, I Don't Matter. He said right now you're just a trainee and that i dont matter. Even when i get certified I'm only certified on one job so I'm not going to matter for a while at this plant. Was kind of a bad way to start the day and i dont know who ****** this guy off today. He works an opposite shift as me and i have said MAYBE 5 words to this guy before hand. I come in early everyday, work hard to learn my area for certification, and complete all my tasks on time every time. I know i cannot help by picking up overtime, but does that really mean i dont matter? Sorry just venting.
LlanoHunter10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 03:59 AM   #2
ElfEyes
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

He's got a poor attitude but it's true that it'll be a few years before you're truly an asset to the team IMO. Maybe he was just messing with you though.

Last edited by ElfEyes; 09-21-2021 at 04:03 AM.
ElfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 04:27 AM   #3
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Don’t let a guy with a poor attitude mess with your mind set! He is probably a slug and acting disgruntled to play off that he is lazy.

In this day and age when a high percentage of hard to fill jobs exit due to lazy *** peeps every hand is important.
Pedernal is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 04:52 AM   #4
tvc184
Pope & Young

Some people are verbally kind of like a bully. They have to pick on someone else to convince themselves that they are better or more important.
tvc184 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 05:18 AM   #5
SJP51
Eight Point

Hunt In: Menard, Bryan

Worked with plenty of caustic old bastids in the last 40 years. Pay them no mind.
SJP51 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 05:22 AM   #6
Seatruckn
Four Point

Hunt In: London

Just agree with him and follow it up with an “ain’t it great”.
Seatruckn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 05:23 AM   #7
WillowCity2506
Four Point

Hunt In: Willow City Loop

There's one on every shift. Let it roll off your back. If he can tell it bothered you, he will persist. My guess is he will leave that job before you do.
WillowCity2506 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 05:58 AM   #8
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Del Rio, Eldorado, Bon Wier

Bro you need to get some thicker skin. I bet that guy forgot all about you 30 seconds after he walked by. Here you are posting this because he’s still in your head. He wasn’t lying. You’re at the bottom on the company ladder. So what. Climb it! You should have just smiled and said yep! You will run into adversity like that in almost any profession. Let it roll off and keep on working towards your own goals.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 05:58 AM   #9
Hogmauler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerrville

It only matters if you believe it. Life is too short to let people determine your outcome.
Hogmauler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 06:02 AM   #10
sailor
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvc184 View Post
Some people are verbally kind of like a bully. They have to pick on someone else to convince themselves that they are better or more important.
LOL...Don't we all know, somebody like this.?
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 06:07 AM   #11
More Liberty
Ten Point

Hunt In: My land

Quote:
Originally Posted by LlanoHunter10 View Post
I'm a Trainee at a chemical plant on my way to be certified in a month and was just told by one person that right now, I Don't Matter. He said right now you're just a trainee and that i dont matter. Even when i get certified I'm only certified on one job so I'm not going to matter for a while at this plant. Was kind of a bad way to start the day and i dont know who ****** this guy off today. He works an opposite shift as me and i have said MAYBE 5 words to this guy before hand. I come in early everyday, work hard to learn my area for certification, and complete all my tasks on time every time. I know i cannot help by picking up overtime, but does that really mean i dont matter? Sorry just venting.
Why do you even care?
More Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 06:11 AM   #12
Tmag
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Depends on the TPWD draw results!

If you didn't matter you would not be there. Keep on learning and doing your job the best you can. Don't worry about negative people!
Tmag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 06:13 AM   #13
miket
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grimes County, Victoria

Why would they be paying you if you didnt matter? Sure, you are low man, low value to the company right now ( as we all were at some point ), but they are investing in you.

Also agree that some guys are just ....jerks

Also I have found that most people are basically worthless. Unless he is known as a great worker, solid asset etc, he is probably a pos like most people. And him saying that unprovoked is evidence to that likelihood
miket is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 06:21 AM   #14
cashcropper
Ten Point

That same crusty old fart was in the same spot as you at one time so don't pay attention to that. At this point in your career you are more of an investment than an asset. Your employer obviously saw something in you that made them take a chance on you. Train hard,be involved even when it's not the job you are working. Always listen,at some point even the crusty old guy may tell you something you need to know. And grow a thicker skin.
cashcropper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 06:27 AM   #15
Jkbow
Six Point

Hunt In: Hondo, TX.

Your already a better person than the gentlemen with the opinions, the fact you have done what he has failed to recognize and that is that it's wrong. His opinion isn't productive if it doesn't affect you so let it go.
Jkbow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 06:36 AM   #16
hpdrifter
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere I can

He may be on of the crusty old guys that think they're more important than anybody else or just a defeatist.
Knew one that bragged he'd been sitting next to promotion to salary job for 16 years. Bragging.

There is all kinds out there. Some will help you gain knowledge and some will just drain you.
Appreciate the former and smile and say yes sir to the latter.
hpdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 06:41 AM   #17
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

Keep working hard and learning. Odds are you have more education than he does and you just might end up in position to be his supervisor at some point
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 06:45 AM   #18
doright
Ten Point

Hunt In: Shelby co.

In the grand scheme of a big company he is right. None of us matter. At some point we all can and will be replaced. Those that realize this work hard to make sure it doesn't happen anytime soon . Those that think they are irreplaceable seem to find the door sooner than they thought. We all matter to someone. Keep your head up and be as good of a hand as you can. Remember ,every dog has his day, some just bark louder than others.
doright is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 06:56 AM   #19
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

Do your job well. Support your coworkers and the company and earn your position and check every day.
But remember your job is not your salvation and does not determine who you are and your value.

And like AC said, get thicker skin. Mental toughness is key to survival.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 06:59 AM   #20
Snapperhead94
Four Point

Hunt In: Hebbronville

Don't sweat the small stuff. Have a great day Llanohunter10!
Snapperhead94 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 07:01 AM   #21
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk Counties

Quote:
You should have told him, it would mean more, because really, we don’t matter.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 07:12 AM   #22
Ætheling
Pope & Young

I thought this was going to be some kind of metaphysical existential type thread. In the grand scheme of things none of us matter as individuals, it is as a whole that we matter.

But yeah that guy just sounds like a ***** lmao.
Ætheling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 07:12 AM   #23
RR 314
Pope & Young

Only people I care about have opinions I care about.

Seriously, I wouldn't have given it the 30 seconds others would. :-)
RR 314 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 07:12 AM   #24
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Hate to tell ol' boy but nobody matters as much as they think they do. At any company you're replaceable. Everyone is.
okrattler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 07:22 AM   #25
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Webb Counties

These plant jobs aren’t like most other jobs. You can’t let your feelings get hurt real easy or you won’t make it.
panhandlehunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 07:23 AM   #26
BayouCat
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gulf Coast

Those types are in every workplace. They're cancerous people. I always like telling them to have a nice day and give them a big smile. They really like that.

Keep doing your job to the best of your ability every day.
BayouCat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 07:24 AM   #27
RWB
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon County

Guess I am old. I remember a time when it was a rite of passage and you had to earn your place on a team. He is probably right if your new you probably don't matter. That does not mean your not a good hand just means you still have a lot to learn. Just do you work hard and earn his respect. Also grow a thick skin because he may just be an ***** and his opinion may not matter. Do you and remember today when your in his shoes.
RWB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 07:40 AM   #28
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

Give him his medicine right back. You’ll prolly end up being buddies with him.

Oh and you matter or you wouldn’t be there.
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 07:46 AM   #29
LlanoHunter10
Eight Point

Hunt In: Llano

I get that i should pay him no mind and get thicker skin. But i feel this comment would be more geared toward a person who is a POS who does the bare minimum and goes home. I feel that I have been a valuable member of this team and have helped out in other areas of the plant to learn and retain knowledge that may be beneficial to me in the future. If i'm not helping others or doing my job in my area, I'm face down in my manuals and outside tracing systems to learn and ask my trainer questions and senerio's to gauge where and how to respond in an emergency situation. To do all that and still be told i dont matter kinda sucks.
LlanoHunter10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 07:48 AM   #30
CEO
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX, MO, CO

I like to go with the "agree and amplify" method. Usually gets someone on the same level of anger as a smile and wave after they flip you off in traffic.

Most people I've come across that act like this are right above the competency level to not be fired.
CEO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 07:49 AM   #31
Killer
Ten Point

Hunt In: God's green earth

You got to start some where. He did to he didn’t come in knowing everything he learned just like you will. Tell him to jump in a lake. Keep o n keeping on
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 08:04 AM   #32
Sidro
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
I get that i should pay him no mind and get thicker skin. But i feel this comment would be more geared toward a person who is a POS who does the bare minimum and goes home. I feel that I have been a valuable member of this team and have helped out in other areas of the plant to learn and retain knowledge that may be beneficial to me in the future. If i'm not helping others or doing my job in my area, I'm face down in my manuals and outside tracing systems to learn and ask my trainer questions and senerio's to gauge where and how to respond in an emergency situation. To do all that and still be told i dont matter kinda sucks.
I have seen this play out time after time over the years. Usually it is someone just doing enough to get by in their job and try to dissuade new guys from learning all they can. They know if someone puts time and effort into the job that it is possible that they can be replaced, therefore they are trying to protect their own lazy self by making those statements. Hang in there and learn all you can and don't pay attention these type of slackers.
Sidro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 08:41 AM   #33
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My Truck at night.

One day you'll get to razz the FNG and you'll laugh about it. Until then, don't sweat it.
Hoggslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 08:42 AM   #34
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tyler County

You're good enough. You're smart enough. And doggone it, people like you.
curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 08:46 AM   #35
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

You'll probably be his boss one day
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 08:49 AM   #36
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

I don't know where you work, but I can assure you that you do matter. You may not know as much today as you will tomorrow at your job, but everything you do makes a difference. Showing up early, working hard, working smart, being observant, seeing things that need to be done and making sure they get done. Initiative, intelligence, leadership. That's what matters. So, yes you matter and you are making a difference.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 08:54 AM   #37
be12hunt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montell, TX

I’ve always tried hard to excel at work and have been successful most of the time. When you do that, some people that know you are going to eventually pass them up will try to bring you down. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been called a “company man”, “try-hard”(whatever that means), and other things. I also had people ask me why I put in so much effort when it didn’t matter. I always chalked it up to the fact that I was willing to put in effort that they weren’t and it made them feel/look bad.
On the other side of it, I have seen trainees that come in and think they are God’s gift to the unit. I’m not saying you are doing this, but maybe that guy thinks you are and he was just giving you some tough love.

Either way, my advice is to keep going above and beyond and you will add value to the company.
be12hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 08:58 AM   #38
rebelbow
Ten Point

Hunt In: tx,ks,ok

I've worked operations in power plant and chemical plant the last 35 yrs. I've told countless trainees virtually the same thing although usually with a smile. The trainees reaction tells me volumes about them. Are they going to wilt at the first sign of stress?
Or are they going to respond to the challenge? I tell them them they dont know anything yet but they will. My advice is to get thicker skin. If the guy is a genuine tool (and they are out there), gravitate toward people who are positive and show up to help anytime there is a problem,even if not in your particular area.
Good luck with your new career!
rebelbow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 09:04 AM   #39
jmack82
Spike

I’ve been in the same unit for 10 years as of this month. Most of the guys are pretty cool up here and some are bitter about new guys. Essentially you don’t mean much at this point. I recognized that about myself when I was new here because when there was an actual upset I couldn’t do much except stay out of the way and learn after it happened. I trained hard and always went outside to learn and help. Even after qualifying in a job I only knew a fraction of what I was going to learn. You won’t be an asset until you can help the unit survive an upset without being directed what to do. My advice is to stay tough, be attentive, always go help everyone, and just keep a positive attitude. You have to have thick skin to be in most of these units. If you keep grinding you will be fine. If you can cook for the shift you will be liked even faster ��
jmack82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 09:06 AM   #40
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by doright View Post
In the grand scheme of a big company he is right. None of us matter. At some point we all can and will be replaced. Those that realize this work hard to make sure it doesn't happen anytime soon . Those that think they are irreplaceable seem to find the door sooner than they thought. We all matter to someone. Keep your head up and be as good of a hand as you can. Remember ,every dog has his day, some just bark louder than others.
x2!

You seem flustered and upset by words. New common theme in 2021

Words hurt
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 09:20 AM   #41
JayBay3405
Four Point

Hunt In: Barksdale, TX

I have been working at a plant for 25 years, guys that can take what this guy is saying, and have thick skin and keep their nose to the grindstone and even heckle this guy back usually survive and make it ( that was back in the day). At my company now if you say something like that to someone especially if you are a white male, you will be, in the HR office probably losing your job. The reason for this is because my company is woke, I care inclusive in diversity and culture, wants everyone treated the same no matter if your the best worker or a lazy POS. All that being said, guys now use all sick time they have, do half as good a job, and the workers are not anywhere close to as good as they were 25 years ago. Don't get me wrong some new guys are great workers with, good skill sets and work ethic, most are not. You sound like one of the good ones. Just keep your nose to the grindstone, and show this guy that you are not like most of the rest you will earn his respect.
JayBay3405 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 09:29 AM   #42
Huggybear
Ten Point

Quote:
Everybody starts off as a ball of fire. Just keep it up and don't let people get to you. It really doesn't matter how hard you work usually. It matters who you are related in most cases in this line of work.
Huggybear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 09:32 AM   #43
npe001
Ten Point

Hunt In: Madisonville, Tx

Some people are just miserable and want everyone else to be that way with them. Keep pushing and building a name for yourself. You determine what your career will be not some disgruntle employee that is mad at everything.
npe001 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 09:36 AM   #44
Dmck
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas Panhandle

I just retired from a chemical plant and as others have said let it go. Guy probally has a small Johnson and is trying to make up for it by being an a##.

I have seen them come and seen them go.
Dmck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 09:42 AM   #45
FVR JR
Ten Point

Hunt In: Someplace, TX

You're low man on the totem pole and ain't as important as some, that's the truth. We all start somewhere. Other guy sounds like a jackwagon who thinks he's better than everyone.
FVR JR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 09:47 AM   #46
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Webb Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBay3405 View Post
I have been working at a plant for 25 years, guys that can take what this guy is saying, and have thick skin and keep their nose to the grindstone and even heckle this guy back usually survive and make it ( that was back in the day). At my company now if you say something like that to someone especially if you are a white male, you will be, in the HR office probably losing your job. The reason for this is because my company is woke, I care inclusive in diversity and culture, wants everyone treated the same no matter if your the best worker or a lazy POS. All that being said, guys now use all sick time they have, do half as good a job, and the workers are not anywhere close to as good as they were 25 years ago. Don't get me wrong some new guys are great workers with, good skill sets and work ethic, most are not. You sound like one of the good ones. Just keep your nose to the grindstone, and show this guy that you are not like most of the rest you will earn his respect.
Sounds like we work for the same company. Lol
panhandlehunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 09:52 AM   #47
WItoTX
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
Bro you need to get some thicker skin. I bet that guy forgot all about you 30 seconds after he walked by. Here you are posting this because he’s still in your head. He wasn’t lying. You’re at the bottom on the company ladder. So what. Climb it! You should have just smiled and said yep! You will run into adversity like that in almost any profession. Let it roll off and keep on working towards your own goals.
My thought exactly. The dude is living rent free in OP's head.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 09:52 AM   #48
wickll
Eight Point

Hunt In: Victoria and Lavaca Counties

I have worked at a plant for almost 20 years. I now teach Process Technology at a junior college. I have had a number of really good students who did well in class but only worked a short time at a plant because the type of co-workers they had to deal with . Working the long hours , lots of overtime , etc. can really make some people bitter.

Lots of good advice in many of the preceding posts. But pm if you ever would like to talk or just vent. What I have learned, in brief, is that you can't let them know they can get under your skin.
wickll is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 09:52 AM   #49
JayBay3405
Four Point

Hunt In: Barksdale, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandlehunter View Post
Sounds like we work for the same company. Lol
I would bet money we do !!
JayBay3405 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2021, 09:53 AM   #50
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Feed it back to him....."I may not matter right now, but when I'm done here I will have mattered more than you..."
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top