Why in East Texas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
    When you say, "If yo can consistently kill big deer in east Texas", do you mean legally kill them or just have the ability to kill them? Are you talking with a gun, bow or a truck?
    Is he the guy that has been looking for a lease for three yrs and offing a grand finders fee��If so I suggest DrDeath get a new screen name as it is SCARY ��

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
      You nailed it OP go south or north

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
      Man that's a no brainer, you don't have to plant 753 acres of food plots and feed 60 tons a year to see a deer

Comment

Originally posted by Twist View Post
        Not all do.

Both of my brothers have been hunting out near Votaw for a while with pretty decent success while taking respectable deer. And as many hogs as they care to of course.

A few people we’ve hunted with for years are on that same lease and have also been successful. We’ve known them for years and hunted the same places, from Llano and San Saba to the old Bob Smith Ranch off of 7 east of Centerville.

True east Texas is different hunting. From our experience, you definitely have to bust it and put a little extra time in but it can pay off.

The migration of hunters moving East doesn’t compare to the migration from East to west. Again not saying there aren’t some good places or leases in East Texas but there are plenty that are as the OP has stated. Not to mention the constant trespassing and theft we all see on Lonestar law. Lol.

Comment

I remember as a kid my Dad and I had fun with counting the total number of rifle shots we would hear on opening morning. The last year I had with my Dad, we counted 261 shots fired. You read that right, two hundred and sixty one... The prase "it's brown it's down" was an understatement. Now this was 21 years ago, but I doubt it's changed completely from this.

Oh and I'm pretty sure there is an unwritten rule that the hunters and deer have agreed upon that the deer will stop moving at 9am every morning so no one should have to hunt after that point.

Comment

The rifle shots in bow season is what gets me. If the weather gets decent, they come out. But ETX is in my blood going back several generations so.....

Comment

The creation of the East Tx family lease came about when timber companies first realized they could recognize some revenue by leasing the land to hunting clubs as opposed to leaving it wide-open. It is my understanding that timber property was once basically a “public land” free-for-all. People were accustomed to free. The everybody in the family hunts under one membership was a transitional thing that all these years later, I guess, still exists.

I know that when I left the hunting club i was part of in Trinity County, after I bought my own land, it was as top-notch as it is today. Of course, we were limiting members and using antler restrictions long before Trinity County went 13 inches. Today anyone of you would kill to be on that club and maybe some of you are on the waiting list?

The reality is there are good clubs in East Texas …we just don’t hear about them on lease drama threads on Texas Bow Hunter. In most of these better clubs, not only would the current lease manager of that particular club on the other thread not be the club manager there would never be a guy that would be welcome back after being kicked off once. I’m not even sure the OP would make the cut.

With all that being said, there’s nothing better than a good East Texas deer drama thread with perhaps a good old-fashioned “my neighbors feeder is too close to the fence line” thread. But I’m a patient man it’s still not October….I’m sure we’re going to be seeing one of those before too long.

Comment

When you say, "If yo can consistently kill big deer in east Texas", do you mean legally kill them or just have the ability to kill them? Are you talking with a gun, bow or a truck?
                Obvious you can’t! Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Preacher Man View Post
                  The rifle shots in bow season is what gets me. If the weather gets decent, they come out. But ETX is in my blood going back several generations so.....
                  Mld3

Comment

Leases in general all have the same issues whether east or west. There's a ton more stuff in east Texas that's public, a lot of stuff the locals figure should be because their grandpappy hunted it 100 years ago, and then add in more people living in the nearby cities vs middle of nowhere west or south. Of course is going to be crowded and deer will be harder to hunt. Some guys like it, others don't. Throw in the meth heads and it's a hopping good time.

Comment

Originally posted by crowmagnum View Post
                      The Hostile Lease Member thread has me wondering why in the hell do leases in East Texas do it that way����
                      1)Why do the put 50 guns w 5 kids apiece and aunts,uncle’s and cousins on one lease membership on 3000 acres?
                      2)What do they call the ranch manager the lease President?
                      3)Do new members get the worst spot and have to build up deer lease cred to get one of the better 60 acres?
                      4)Why are East Texas deer are said to be big bodied deer when most wont dress over a buck 30?
                      5)Where can I get the $69 lease and what do you get for that $69?����������
                      We are as deep E Tx(SE Tx actually) as you can get. If I may, I would like to answer you questions
                      1) Our lease is 1500 acres, 11 member/potential for 13, so all leases aren't like that. Guests shoot off of member's allotment.
                      2) I am the lease "President" and NO ONE calls me that. How ever on the timber web site, I think the leaser has that label, which is me.
                      3)Usually on our lease, we offer open spots to paying members first. This season a new member actually got the best spot on the lease, so it isn't always like that.
                      4)Because we are liars....and some deer are big bodied. Mature bucks on our lease range from 170-200lbs....no lie!
                      5) Cant help you with this one.

Word of note, we are a Bow only lease. Newton County, one of the most notorious outlawing counties in Tx.

Comment

Originally posted by Preacher Man View Post
                        During WW days a couple weeks ago someone made the comment about people shooting before noon.

LOL this the country. Folks shoot guns.

Comment

This…..the legal part for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Plenty of big east Texas bucks to be had if you have the appropriate amount of candlepower/lumens

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                              You just keep believing that. There are no big deer in East Texas. 👍
                              I know As I used to hunt near Palestine and kill this one next to a meth lab house
                              Attached Files

Comment

Ive been hunting east Texas leases for about 10ish year now. Never had anything stolen that also includes cameras on public land. I'm fortunate enough to have a job that affords me multiple leases. I have connections where I could lease in the hill country but choose not to. I've hunted south texas, rock springs and sterling city. It's fun to see that many deer but I'm pretty sure I could kill a deer on these properties with a spear if I was inclined. I'm not sure all places are like that or I'm just a natural born predator. East Texas to me is more challenging and or rewarding.

Comment

Working...
                                X