No announcement yet.

I Don't Matter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You may not know a ton now, and that is okay. What is not okay is you allowing anyone else besides you to determine your worth and value.

At my plant, those that have value are those that show up on time, are dependable, and are eager to learn.

You are in competition with no one except for yourself. That includes at work and at home. There is no one in this world who is worth impressing.

Your only goal should be to learn something new every day, and to get a little better each day at whatever you do. Never compare your value to anyone else.

Whether this guy is just going along with typical industry banter or is actually a jerk doesn't matter. Smile, nod, and move on. You're not dealing with the past, because it's already happened. You're not dealing with the future because it's yet to be seen. What you're struggling with is your imagination. You've created a narrative in your own mind that goes against your outputs and results, and it's creating tension. It will continue to occur until you decide to stop it.

As others have said, you have value. If you didn't you wouldn't be there. Your employer sees a future in you or they wouldn't be training you to operate their plant. Keep your head down, and your chin up.

Comment

nobody matters, get used to it

Comment

Maybe im different but sounds like the same thing a Veteran might say to a rookie on the football field at practice or a Senior may say to a freshman. Could've been harmless joking. I sure would not put this much thought or care into it lol that's for darn sure.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
          Bro you need to get some thicker skin. I bet that guy forgot all about you 30 seconds after he walked by. Here you are posting this because he’s still in your head. He wasn’t lying. You’re at the bottom on the company ladder. So what. Climb it! You should have just smiled and said yep! You will run into adversity like that in almost any profession. Let it roll off and keep on working towards your own goals.
          x2

Comment

If you really want to matter cook for your shift and clean the kitchen. That's what REALLY matters

Comment

Originally posted by LlanoHunter10 View Post
              I'm a Trainee at a chemical plant on my way to be certified in a month and was just told by one person that right now, I Don't Matter. He said right now you're just a trainee and that i dont matter. Even when i get certified I'm only certified on one job so I'm not going to matter for a while at this plant. Was kind of a bad way to start the day and i dont know who ****** this guy off today. He works an opposite shift as me and i have said MAYBE 5 words to this guy before hand. I come in early everyday, work hard to learn my area for certification, and complete all my tasks on time every time. I know i cannot help by picking up overtime, but does that really mean i dont matter? Sorry just venting.
              May just be that he has a bad attitude, or was having a bad day but things have changed over the past 5-10 years, or maybe a little longer. used to be that just about everyone came in and had to earn their stripes. Now a lot of younger folks (not saying you at all OP) come in and expect things to be handed to them (best jobs, best office, best shift etc...). Maybe that has gotten to him a bit as well and maybe he was just venting. As others have said, develop a think skin, keep your nose to the grindstone, learn as much as you can and make yourself invaluable - and don't put any unnecessary thought into what he may say that isn't constructive.

Comment

Ask him if his mom had any kids that lived lol

Comment

Why are you letting your self worth be controlled by a virtual stranger. What other people feel about you shouldn’t matter to you one iota. Get that guy out of your head.
                  Heck, if that’s gonna bother you, stay out of the aircraft business. That’s an industry where you really don’t matter. Your just a number and nothing more.

Comment

Originally posted by LlanoHunter10 View Post
                    I'm a Trainee at a chemical plant on my way to be certified in a month and was just told by one person that right now, I Don't Matter. He said right now you're just a trainee and that i dont matter. Even when i get certified I'm only certified on one job so I'm not going to matter for a while at this plant. Was kind of a bad way to start the day and i dont know who ****** this guy off today. He works an opposite shift as me and i have said MAYBE 5 words to this guy before hand. I come in early everyday, work hard to learn my area for certification, and complete all my tasks on time every time. I know i cannot help by picking up overtime, but does that really mean i dont matter? Sorry just venting.
                    Im in a senior position in an industry with very high turnover. I honestly don't even try to remember our entry level guys names until they've been here a year or more.
                    But that being said I treat them with as much kindness and respect that they treat me with.
                    The guy sounds like a Richard and I would either let it go or maybe have some fun with him the next time I see him...

Comment

Or, “you won’t matter when I’m your boss”!

Comment

I had a guy treat me that way when I hired in many moons ago...He's now my best friend and we hunt together. You never know......come to think of it, that a-hole has never apologized to me!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Prove him wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                            Bro you need to get some thicker skin. I bet that guy forgot all about you 30 seconds after he walked by. Here you are posting this because he’s still in your head. He wasn’t lying. You’re at the bottom on the company ladder. So what. Climb it! You should have just smiled and said yep! You will run into adversity like that in almost any profession. Let it roll off and keep on working towards your own goals.
                            Originally posted by More Liberty View Post
                            Why do you even care?
                            These

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I wouldn't sweat it. One thing I've learned working in the plant . None of us matter . His job will be posted before he's in the ground if he dies. And he won't be missed if he retires.. I've seen it happen over and over..

We have had several that thought the unit would shut down without them.. most of us don't even remember their names 6 months after they retire.
                              Last edited by jds247; 09-21-2021, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                                If you really want to matter cook for your shift and clean the kitchen. That's what REALLY matters
                                Perfect

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X