Boat Trailer Bunks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat Trailer Bunks

Picking up a new to me Xpress this week. Trailer bunks need to be redone. Carpet or bunk slides? What about PVC board from lowes on top instead of the bunk slides? Thinking about using 2x4 aluminum tubing instead of wood. Fix it once forever- any thoughts? Buddy can weld aluminum and trailer is aluminum as well if that makes a difference in opinions. Freshwater mostly, salt a couple times a year.

Like the aluminum idea. Just don't know if it'll flex or just bend if it gets bumped too hard loading up over time. Boards will flex if that random wave shows up or loading in a crosswind!lol Rebuilt some recently and looked at the slides. Seems like a great idea to me. Don't have to worry about carpet deteriorating and the bunk boards will dry out faster...and prolly last a very long time. Found some outdoor carpet cheap and did it the old way tho. Enjoy that Xpress!

Comment

I picture pvc being too slick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

What about doubled up trex wrapped in carpet. May need extra bunk supports because flex won’t be an issue with trex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Dont over think it. The extra drag of carpet just may keep your boat on the trailer if something goes south. I wouldnt add aluminum bunks for the reasons smokeater said.

1000s of boats roll everyday with wood and carpet

Comment

Fair enough and thanks all. Overthinking easy stuff is my go to move but if there was a better mouse trap someone would be doing it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't recommend carpet under aluminum boats due to corrosion. Bunk slides are best.

Comment

Don’t do carpet on a metal boat. The static electricity causes electrolysis. Wood with bunk slides is the best bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Monark View Post
                  I don't recommend carpet under aluminum boats due to corrosion. Bunk slides are best.
                  Never heard of that and never had any issues when I had a tin boat, maybe because it was painted? Might try these covering aluminum bunks, I would not used them on fiberglass as I've heard it scratches gelcoat but they are fine with aluminum hulls https://gatorbak.com/
                  Last edited by SC-001; 09-14-2021, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SC-001 View Post
                    Never heard of that and never had any issues when I had a tin boat, maybe because it was painted? Might try these covering aluminum bunks, I would not used them on fiberglass as I've heard it scratches gelcoat but they are fine with aluminum hulls https://gatorbak.com/
                    I have purchased 3 used aluminum boats on carpet. I have had to repair corrosion on 3 aluminum boats where the carpet touched the bottom of the boat. Mine were all used in saltwater. May have something to do with it.

Comment

^^^Learn something every day! Thanks!^^^

Comment

I have purchased 3 used aluminum boats on carpet. I have had to repair corrosion on 3 aluminum boats where the carpet touched the bottom of the boat. Mine were all used in saltwater. May have something to do with it.
                        May be electrolysis, its worse in saltwater

Comment

I got lucky I guess. Had 2 painted tin boats in Salt with carpeted bunks. Never had an issue

3 if you count airboat dad had and that boat saw fresh maybe 3 times in 30 years

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Regular wood, not treated, and the ABS or whatever bunk slides instead of carpet.

Comment

I use bunk slides because I launch alone most of the time. Just don't unhook it until it's in the water.

Comment

Working...
                              X