For you fletchers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chew View Post
    Will do. Just in case y'all need some great customer service with feathers...

TBH'er Arrowsmith (Mike) is an Ozark Feathers rep.

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...mber.php?u=985
    Thats funny…OTD.
    Never used tape…only superglue.
    The loctite gel super control takes too long to set but helps when unfudging a fletch. I just split some feathers from some farm turkeys I killed last fall. This is my first go round with homegrown feathers and home shaping. Thisll be interesting. Trumpkin hooked it up with a feather chopper last year. The loctite regular super glue will be what Ill use…and I foresee alot being used. The Home Depot super glue works but is a bit too runny and gums up my ez fletch quickly.

Good luck MrChew.

Comment

Originally posted by CamoQuest View Post
      I’ve been getting my Ozarks from Mike for many years now. First for my indoor compound arrows, and more recently all of our trad needs.

Incidentally, I tried tape early on last year, and the only time we ever had an issue was when a couple arrows got left in the car last summer. The feathers didn’t come off, but the tape shifted from the pressure of the other arrows scrunched together. I hadn’t used glue on the leading edge. This year I put a drop of glue on the very front. We’ve shot in snow, rain, scorching heat, and high humidity, and the feathers haven’t moved. I’m careful not to cram them in an arrow tube too tightly, and we don’t leave them anywhere I wouldn’t feel okay with leaving a bow. (No hot vehicles) I never thought I’d be one to use tape, but it sure is easy and has held up well.
      I used it several years ago and got frustrated trying to peel the backing off. But i think im a less stressed person these days and hopefully won't start cussing [emoji3]

Comment

I agree the backing is a challenge. That said I prefer glue and unless I need to put some together and run out of glue, I dont use the tape..

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I used it several years ago and got frustrated trying to peel the backing off. But i think im a less stressed person these days and hopefully won't start cussing [emoji3]
          I use a Jo-Jan, ‘cause some of my feathers are too long for the Arizona mini I have, but I think the application would be about the same. I roll the tape out onto the base of the feather, and cut it about an 1/8” longer. Then I put the feather in the clamp, and stick that 1/8” tail down against the end of the feather and clamp. I use the edge of a scissor blade, and peel the backing up from that tail end just enough to get it started, then it is easy to pull the rest of the way off with my fingers. I don’t have nails, hence the scissors, lol. In your case you could probably put the tape on before you stick the feather in the jig. It might be easier to get the tape on that way. Trial and error, lol. There are probably better and faster ways of fletching with tape, but I’m so OCD this works for me.

And just fyi, I don’t consider it a successful fletching session if I haven’t cussed at least once.

Comment

Anybody using fletching tape instead of glue? I have both but wondering how the two compare with fletching and a lot of target shooting. Trying to decide before my feathers and arrows get here. I'll be using an arizona ez fletch if that matters.
            I use it, and it's good stuff. Easier to strip off the shft later when the feathers get ratty. Just put a dab of super glue on each end to keep it from lifting before you're ready.

Comment

I have been using the Bohning Fletch tape for 20 years. I use it on aluminum and wood arrows. Here is the key to success. Arrow shafts must be clean and free from any old glue or cleaning agents. You must use fresh tape, if it gets old and will not work well. I do not use a drop of glue on the ends of the fletch but this is not a bad idea. The tape works great and stays on in all weather.

Comment

By the way, I also use wraps - the tape bonds to them very well and it makes removal easier when its time to refletch. I prefer not to scrape glue off the shaft.

Comment

What arrows did you end up going with?

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                    What arrows did you end up going with?

Bisch

Black eagle vintage carbons

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                      i tried tape for my feathers 5-6 years ago and have not used glue since except for a dot on each end. Once you get the hang of applying it it goes much faster. Never had one come off -the fletches wear out first.
                      ^^^ this ^^^

Comment

Black eagle vintage carbons

What spine did you go with?

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                          What spine did you go with?

Bisch

Half dozen 500.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                            By the way, I also use wraps - the tape bonds to them very well and it makes removal easier when its time to refletch. I prefer not to scrape glue off the shaft.
                            Do you use the adhesive sticker wraps or the heat shrink kind?

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                              Do you use the adhesive sticker wraps or the heat shrink kind?
                              I buy adhesive wraps from www.onestringer.com. They have quite a few traditional designs

Comment

Working...
                              X