No announcement yet.

Texas surf shark fishing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m looking for a good kayak to drop baits with if anyone has or knows of one

Comment

What are the surf conditions going to be like Sunday and Monday? Heading down to the Ag teachers conference this week and want to hit the beach with my son. He wants to catch a shark, so I'm going to give it a try.

Comment

Went out for about an hour yesterday evening(south of bob hall). Water was a little rough but clarity was awesome. Bait was thick but so were the sharks. I was throwing a red/white sinking mirrolure trying to catch a red or trout and my lure was getting hammered by small sharks. Could see them swimming under rafts of mullet, even saw a couple of 4ftrs cruising the back side of the first sand bar. Right now, any chunk of fresh cut bait will likely catch all the small sharks anyone would want to catch.

Comment

Anyone have any extra jacks or rays I’m desperate. We are heading to Matagorda the last week in July

Comment

Originally posted by stickman View Post
            Went out for about an hour yesterday evening(south of bob hall). Water was a little rough but clarity was awesome. Bait was thick but so were the sharks. I was throwing a red/white sinking mirrolure trying to catch a red or trout and my lure was getting hammered by small sharks. Could see them swimming under rafts of mullet, even saw a couple of 4ftrs cruising the back side of the first sand bar. Right now, any chunk of fresh cut bait will likely catch all the small sharks anyone would want to catch.
            Same for us. Trout bite was on and we hooked 4 or 5 small sharks in the process. We burned four packs of plastics and several jigheads. Had to walk the fish back to the beach, couldn't keep them on a stringer because of the small sharks and last time we used a net bag after about an hour the bigger ones started showing up.

Comment

Headed down this weekend. Havnt been down this year near as much as last year. Anyone know of how the sand is on Matagorda? Last time I was there it was really chewed. I’m hoping some rain helped that.

Comment

Following

Comment

Dropped a couple horse mullet

Comment

Didn’t have much luck on the big sharks but did put some redfish in the box. Way more gafftops than redfish. On the way out on Saturday I stopped and helped a guy from Houston pull in a 6’8” hammerhead. It was a nice fish. Definitely some nice ones being caught right now. Plenty of bonnet heads and pups as well.

Comment

Originally posted by jsctx84 View Post
                      Didn’t have much luck on the big sharks but did put some redfish in the box. Way more gafftops than redfish. On the way out on Saturday I stopped and helped a guy from Houston pull in a 6’8” hammerhead. It was a nice fish. Definitely some nice ones being caught right now. Plenty of bonnet heads and pups as well.
                      I knew I saw your truck coming through Edna (Sunday I think) as I was heading to work. Right at the light by Alamo lumber. My wife and I ran into you earlier in the summer down on Gorda as we were leaving one weekend.

Haven’t been on the sand much myself this summer, have a trip planned on each of my 7 days off this month and next month though. If the water stays decent hoping to get some good baits out.

Comment

Post up when you make it that way.

Want to make a trip over there and camp, fish.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampBuck View Post
                          I knew I saw your truck coming through Edna (Sunday I think) as I was heading to work. Right at the light by Alamo lumber. My wife and I ran into you earlier in the summer down on Gorda as we were leaving one weekend.

Haven’t been on the sand much myself this summer, have a trip planned on each of my 7 days off this month and next month though. If the water stays decent hoping to get some good baits out.
                          That was me. Trying to make it back this weekend. Handling that respectable hammer on Saturday got me all pumped up.

Comment

Originally posted by jsctx84 View Post
                            That was me. Trying to make it back this weekend. Handling that respectable hammer on Saturday got me all pumped up.
                            I got a buddy down there now. Hopefully the water stays right. If I get any good info I’ll pass it along to you.

Comment

Making a run to Gorda for the day Saturday if anyone’s gonna be around. Have things going on so can’t make it an overnighter like I wanted but I’ll also be down there the 22-25

Comment

We went last week and caught a few down south, padre. Stayed one night at Packery channel then a few more in the beach. Happened to run into the right guy to go fishing with, we buddied up and he brought out the big rods. Then let the kids take turns on a good hammerhead and a guy in our group caught a almost 11 ft tiger. I’ll post a few pics as well. Sleeping in a tent on the beach was not fun. I had prepared a ac and fan to cool things down just a bit, but that generator bellied up on me.

Comment

Working...
                                X