Question for O/U experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for O/U experts

My father in law needs to sell a really nice shotgun. Thought it was going to be mine, but things change and he needs med bill money. It's a brand new in the case, never fired Browning Citori Grade VI Japan Moroku 12ga.

Blue book says $5k and I was offered $3500 from a dealer. There are 3 small scuffs on the stock, 2 you cant really see without a magnifying glass, and the 3rd is very small as well. Looks like it could easily buff out since its not through the clear coat. Basically I was told the actual value would be somewhere around $4200.

I guess my question is, does anybody have any experience buying or selling these? Is $4200 a fair asking price? I was really thinking it was worth more. Thanks for any help!

Post it up for sale for 5k and I bet you'll sell it.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

Comment

If you can afford it buy it from your FIL for somewhere between $4200 and $5000 everybody wins and you get points with wife and in laws and you have a very nice Shotgun.

Comment

The dealer offering $3,500 knows he can make money from it. Post it for sale on here and whatever websites you're comfortable with. Sounds like you should easily get over $4,000 for it and maybe close to $5,000.

Comment

You may or may not want to try this but dings and dents in wood stocks can be removed with steam. What I have used is wet paper towel and a electric curling iron(not mine) to heat the wet towel directly against the ding. This will raise the wood grain back to level with the surface. Then I use lemon oil to put a good oil coat over the entire stock. Buff with micro fiber.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
            You may or may not want to try this but dings and dents in wood stocks can be removed with steam. What I have used is wet paper towel and a electric curling iron(not mine) to heat the wet towel directly against the ding. This will raise the wood grain back to level with the surface. Then I use lemon oil to put a good oil coat over the entire stock. Buff with micro fiber.
            A wet face cloth and a steam iron works better.

Put the gun on Gunbroker with a reserve of $4200. Might surprise you. GLWS

Comment

Dunno honestly but post it on this thread as I would love to see it.[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Id find someone to do an appraisal on the gun itself and not a dealer trying to make a dollar.

I know a few guys who buy and sell high end O/Us but none of them are in your area.

Comment

Originally posted by Pokey View Post
                  If you can afford it buy it from your FIL for somewhere between $4200 and $5000 everybody wins and you get points with wife and in laws and you have a very nice Shotgun.
                  That’s the plan. Problem is, I just opened my business and $4200 isn’t as easy to come by as it was a year ago. A buddy of mine is going to buy it and trade me for deer processing! At the same time, I want to make sure I get a good price for my FIL.

Thanks everybody. As far as the stock, two of the imperfections literally look like it was poked with a sewing needle. The guy I talked to said buffing it could actually bring the price down. Is there a way to post pics from a phone without an image hosting site?

Comment

Dealers will always offer you less than what a gun is worth because they have to make money when they sell it to stay in business.

Sounds like you worked things out so good deal.

Comment

Working...
                    X