Is this little fella a WT deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this little fella a WT deer?

So, I'm just getting home from my slice of Texas up in RS and while checking the game cams I came across this little fella. Is he a WT deer? I'm a bit confused given that he has black horns/antlers and they don't appear to be in velvet.

i dont think so..... i couldnt tell you what it is though. red deer?

Comment

Def not a whitetail but no help on what it is.

Comment

Sika

Comment

Sika Deer

Comment

Sika. The black velvet is one of the coolest features of a Sika IMO. His fur will prob change to jet black as he gets his winter coat as well.

Comment

Thanks gents. I thought he looked a bit odd to be a WT. hopefully he makes it to maturity.

Comment

Definitely a young sika

Comment

I have heard that sika make a small whistling type shrill noise like an elk, but At a lower volume. Again, just saying that someone told me that, I really ain’t sure. Do you ever hear anything like that in your area?

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn21 View Post
                    I have heard that sika make a small whistling type shrill noise like an elk, but At a lower volume. Again, just saying that someone told me that, I really ain’t sure. Do you ever hear anything like that in your area?
                    Yes they definitely bugle, not as loud as an elk but definitely loud. It’s a 1-2 pitch bugle/whistle that lasts for 2-3 seconds and is usually repeated 3 times. If you’re close enough to them, you can hear the growl/guttural part at the end of the bugle.

Edit: This may be just a guy whistling, but the sika bugle sounds very very close to this
                    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUTuj7bB3LI"]Sika bugle by whisle - YouTube[/ame]
                    Last edited by Patton; 07-12-2019, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                      Yes they definitely bugle, not as loud as an elk but definitely loud. It’s a 1-2 pitch bugle/whistle that lasts for 2-3 seconds and is usually repeated 3 times. If you’re close enough to them, you can hear the growl/guttural part at the end of the bugle.

Edit: This may be just a guy whistling, but the sika bugle sounds very very close to this
                      Sika bugle by whisle - YouTube

I have heard that sound before just that it was a bird...lol. Man, can’t wait to hunt my place come this fall.

Comment

I'm going with Sika as well

Comment

Working...
                        X