Colorado OTC help (units 22,32,and70)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colorado OTC help (units 22,32,and70)

A buddy and myself are heading to Colorado in September to chase bears and elk with our bows. We have E scouted tons and are narrowed down to units 22,32, and unit 70. We like a lot about all units but also have concerns about all 3. I was just curios if anyone has hunted any of these units and seen animals and/or had success. I know its a long shot but just trying to use all resources available to us. Any kind of help is greatly appreciated!

morning bump

Comment

I hunted 70 about 4 years back and it is a big unit. Hot, Dusty, and High Desert Plateau type unit. Saw lots of sign but never any elk.

Comment

Is this your first go at elk? First go in these units?

Also, the hunttalk forum is probably a better place to get answers to these questions. Just know that if you ask that same question on that forum, you will get a lot of "Welcome to the fire" responses. Specifics help.

Comment

Pro tip for bears. you can't bait them but if you find a gut pile you can hunt it and the bears will come

Comment

I have never hunted those units, but after last September, I will most likely not be going back unless I draw or do a guided hunt. There has been a BOOM of hunters into the OTC units, and apparently it was not exclusive to my area. I saw numerous reports of the same thing throughout the state. ESPECIALLY if it is mule deer muzzle loader opener. I have never seen more than 3 or 4 people throughout my week long stay, but last year the orange army was in full force and literally watched them through my binos all week no matter how deep I went. I took it in stride and had a positive attitude all week because it was better than being at work.

WITH ALL THAT SAID, I WILL SAY THIS...
            Be committed, Be prepared to hike your tail off, and wake up every day with optimism.

Comment

Hunted 71 last few years ago, no luck. 70 is not an OTC for archery this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Paycheck View Post
                Hunted 71 last few years ago, no luck. 70 is not an OTC for archery this year.
                There are plenty of tags eft over for 70. From what I was reading on Rockslide forum, it suffered pretty bad from a wildfire in 18. It should be on its way to recovery. However there was a guy on there saying he had hunted it for years and the fire pushed many elk down into the private lands. They may be back up now as this was last years post I saw.

here is the link for the left over tags.

Comment

Thanks guys! Yes 70 has plenty of leftover. I’ve been 5 times to a draw unit but didn’t that’s the points this year to get drawn so we wanna try out luck somewhere else! We kinda picked 22 and 32 because of the numbers of hunters last year trying to stay away from crowds. With that being said I realize the crowds are where the elk usually are also. It’s a crap shoot just trying to use all resources possible!

Comment

Working...
                  X