Prescribed burn questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prescribed burn questions

Didn’t want to hijack the other thread but it got me thinking about this again and I have a few questions.

How do you cordinate something like this safely?

Who do you contact to do it or assist?

What does it cost to do right?

Thanks in advance.

I’m not an expert, but I’ve done several and there’s really not much to it.

Disc your firebreaks/lanes where you intend to stop it.

Last time we did a good sized piece, we did notify our local FD and forest service guys so they wouldn’t come out if they got a call. Forest service might assist if you ask, not sure. Of course, also call the neighbor so they don’t think the worlds on fire for no reason!

Minimal cost. Little bit of tractor time & a drip torch. Wait for good conditions and let her rip. Having a few folks to help makes it much easier.

Comment

For your safety and everyone else's, you should have a burn plan written by a prescribed burn boss. This is to help you in court if anything goes south. Contact either your TPWD wildlife biologist or NRCS agent to get assistance with burning or the burn plan written. There are also contractors that can do the burn for you, and will assume the liability for the burn. Summer burns are better when your goal is brush suppression. The higher the pucker factor, the more likely you are to kill brush. But you still have to burn within the prescribed weather conditions in the burn plan.

Comment

Wildaggie has some great info.

When I was active on the Fire Department, we would get calls to monitor control burns. Could use it as a training class, and would also get a donation, which helped purchase much needed Equipment.

Also helped from things getting out of control with a couple of brush trucks there to control it.

Please support your local Volunteer Fire Department.

Comment

I helped conduct many RX burns during my career with the USFS.

"It's easy to go from lighting to fighting."

These guys both have contract crews who can get it done.

Brandon Woodward https://www.facebook.com/brandon.woodward.39142

Larry Weaver - N. Texas Fire Resources - https://www.facebook.com/pages/categ...8482311497693/

Comment

If you don't have lots of help and equipment, I would just pay someone. We burned a hay field this spring and like Froggy said....it's easy to go from lighting to fighting.

Comment

Working...
            X