Oil Pressure sensor and thrown rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Pressure sensor and thrown rod

Took my sons truck in for an oil change and inspection. The following day he gets an "Oil Pressure" light and now we have a thrown rod. The shop says the oil was full and they dumped/replaced the oil to see if it was holding enough. There were zero signs of any leaks on the motor or on the ground.

I'm struggling to understand how the vehicle worked fine prior to the oil change and the next day throws a rod. The truck does have 180,000 miles but we've literally replaced almost everything there is to replace.

Any advice??

Year make and model?

Comment

It can happen, especially with that many miles.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
        Year make and model?
        2000 Chevy with 4.3 V6

Comment

Hard to know the exact cause. Oil filter issue? Just guessing is all I can do.

Comment

Just bad timing it sounds like. I doubt the oil change had anything to do with it

Comment

Did you check the dipstick after the oil light came on? What did it look like?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by andre3k View Post
                Did you check the dipstick after the oil light came on? What did it look like?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                At the point my son told me it came on, it was already back at the shop.

Comment

You say thrown rod so I’m assuming it wasn’t driven to the shop. Did the piston get into the head or did you knock a hole in the block?

Comment

Same flavor / weight oil as usual?

Comment

Originally posted by PhotonSlinger View Post
                      You say thrown rod so I’m assuming it wasn’t driven to the shop. Did the piston get into the head or did you knock a hole in the block?
                      I was able to drive it the short distance back to the shop. Based on the conversation with my advisor, who I trust, it didn't do either. It's a constant rattle/thumping noise.

Comment

He must be talking about a pushrod then, should be easy fix if that’s the case.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotonSlinger View Post
                          He must be talking about a pushrod then, should be easy fix if that’s the case.
                          Let me back up a little bit here. I collapsed a lifter on my 08 Silverado but it had the AFM and yours does not. When this happened it caused a heck of a knock when running. It wasn’t a hard fix and tons of video online on how to do it. Might be a good project for y’all if this is what the issue is. Hopefully it’s just a bad lifter maybe and didn’t chew up the cam. If it’s a piston rod and a spun bearing then that will stink. Hope for y’all it’s an easy fix and on the cheaper side.

Comment

Just listened to a couple videos with a "lifter tap" and that's exactly the noise his truck was making.

Comment

Did the oil change place also do an oil or engine flush? Only asking because of curiosity.

Comment

Working...
                              X