Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-29-2021, 09:01 PM   #1
Speedgoat
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Iraq, Afghanistan, Sudan, etc.
Default Armed forces suicide..

I just found out another troop I served with commit suicide last Monday. There are an average of 18 suicides a year associated with Ft. Hood. I have no idea why the numbers have increased so much, but I believe it has to do with the softness of our culture. We have become an entitled, pampered nation. These young recruits aren't used to being held accountable for their actions. They aren't used to hard criticism and stern redirection. So many are giving up before they've even lived. It's a **** shame.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Speedgoat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2021, 09:17 PM   #2
mpotts
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lometa Tx

Agreed and well said Speedgoat.
mpotts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2021, 09:17 PM   #3
topshot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public land

Perhaps it's an issue of value, identity, and purpose...not a matter of soft or comfort living. The approach needs to shift as the old way of breaking someone's will in order to mold them back wont work when they come in broken already.
topshot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2021, 09:19 PM   #4
Speedgoat
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Iraq, Afghanistan, Sudan, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshot View Post
Perhaps it's an issue of value, identity, and purpose...not a matter of soft or comfort living. The approach needs to shift as the old way of breaking someone's will in order to mold them back wont work when they come in broken already.
Could be. I think our children aren't ready for failure, as our system has created a society of mediocrity and acceptance.

Speedgoat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2021, 09:23 PM   #5
TX CHICKEN
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnes County, Jim Hogg and Duval County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedgoat View Post
Could be. I think our children aren't ready for failure, as our system has created a society of mediocrity and acceptance.

I agree 100% and social media doesn’t help them! They see all these “perfect” people on social media and it makes them feel insecure/inadequate…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TX CHICKEN is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2021, 09:34 PM   #6
kevin nicholls
Ten Point

Hunt In: Who knows

I've lost a few friends to suicide and I'll never understand it. You must really get in a really dark place to hurt yourself. We're softer as a society for sure, my Dad was a tough man and his Dad was as tough a guy as I ever met. We're all at fault in making the next generation have it better/easier I guess. Life is hard, I guess it's too hard for some. Stay strong out there men.
kevin nicholls is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2021, 09:37 PM   #7
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

Quote:
I just found out another troop I served with commit suicide last Monday. There are an average of 18 suicides a year associated with Ft. Hood. I have no idea why the numbers have increased so much, but I believe it has to do with the softness of our culture. We have become an entitled, pampered nation. These young recruits aren't used to being held accountable for their actions. They aren't used to hard criticism and stern redirection. So many are giving up before they've even lived. It's a **** shame.

Yep, very true.
RifleBowPistol is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2021, 09:45 PM   #8
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton , San perlita

Quote:

Yep , some are get a ribbon/ trophy win or lose . Some can’t handle real life problems, with out a restart button, sometimes people can’t compartmentlize that bad things happen to people and it’s beyond fault or blame, and will never make sense

When your behind a M110 or m24 and orders don’t make sense , they never will
S-3 Ranch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2021, 09:52 PM   #9
Katsaregood
Six Point

An old school doctor makes his employees take what he calls a personality test. Says it reveals if a person is suicidal. I have no idea on who came up with the test. Has 200 questions. The answers for each question is either a plus sign (+) , a lower case letter m (m) or a dash or subtraction sign (-).

Have you ever heard of such a test? I’m curious about the accuracy of it and whether or not it could be helpful in identifying suicidal soldiers and to help prevent it.
Katsaregood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2021, 10:00 PM   #10
Briar Friar
Pope & Young

Self worth. Some have some, some have it too much, some have too little, some dont have it at all. Many tie their self worth up into a squirrely pink taco.

Very recently, one of my civilian junior Marines going through a bad divorce decided to make a series of bad decisions that ultimately caused him to brandish a rifle to patrol officers…and his death.

Godspeed Goat.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2021, 10:26 PM   #11
El Paisano
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas-Arkansas

Man, I don't know. I don't know of any of the guys that I served with that committed suicide. One of my Ranger buddies had served 3 tours in VN as a combat medic in the 173rd BEFORE we went to Ranger. My Ranger Buddy for the mountain phase had survived Hamburger Hill in the 101st. I know a lot of things were different then, but not sure what would lead to that. I sure hate to hear it though.
El Paisano is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2021, 10:59 PM   #12
RedBear78
Six Point

Hunt In: Warren,Sourlake,Angelina forest

I did a little research a while back I was having some issues that was caused by a disease attacking my brain.I was having horrible suicidal cravings with PTSD,I had a TBI and chemical imbalance and chemical absence.It was a horrible horrible affliction.In doing research I found that approx 1 veteran takes his life every hour and 1.5 active personnel do so every day.I was really shocked to see these kinds of numbers,it broke my heart.I read stories of valor,bravery and survival just to succumb to some kind of mental anguish.I don’t know about the younger crowd coming up but society and upbringing are making a weaker generation.But I also think with each generation there just weaker because they are getting further from perfection and their kids oh wow I really feel for them.Every generation just seems a little more watered down than the previous.I’m a little worried that if Jesus doesn’t step in and fix things there won’t be any one left to keep the lights on.I sure hate folks feel that kind of pressure and pain to take their own life.I never understood it until I was looking down a barrel a few times myself I’m glad I got through and finally figured out the problem.I’m not scared of much but I do fear having those thoughts and feelings again.
RedBear78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2021, 11:16 PM   #13
matagordian
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBear78 View Post
I did a little research a while back I was having some issues that was caused by a disease attacking my brain.I was having horrible suicidal cravings with PTSD,I had a TBI and chemical imbalance and chemical absence.It was a horrible horrible affliction.In doing research I found that approx 1 veteran takes his life every hour and 1.5 active personnel do so every day.I was really shocked to see these kinds of numbers,it broke my heart.I read stories of valor,bravery and survival just to succumb to some kind of mental anguish.I don’t know about the younger crowd coming up but society and upbringing are making a weaker generation.But I also think with each generation there just weaker because they are getting further from perfection and their kids oh wow I really feel for them.Every generation just seems a little more watered down than the previous.I’m a little worried that if Jesus doesn’t step in and fix things there won’t be any one left to keep the lights on.I sure hate folks feel that kind of pressure and pain to take their own life.I never understood it until I was looking down a barrel a few times myself I’m glad I got through and finally figured out the problem.I’m not scared of much but I do fear having those thoughts and feelings again.
Thank you for your service.
You are not alone. I hope you have had good treatment and live a long blessed life.
matagordian is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2021, 12:53 AM   #14
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

I can't speak from a military standpoint but I've known people and known of people that have committed suicide for various reasons. One common thing I've noticed in most cases is the use of drugs or alcohol or both. Which makes sense if you think about it. If a person is depressed a lot of times instead of talking about it they turn to these things. Which in turn alters their way of thinking. And in some way I'm sure it makes it easier to do. Nobody in their right mind,depressed or not can consciously hurt themselves or people that love them. That's just my take on it.

I know for a fact a kid I went to school with would still be here had he not been messed up on drugs. The problems he was running from weren't problems that would have lasted forever. Like most problems people deal with aren't. He wasn't thinking clearly. I know him and it wasn't him that pulled that trigger. He wasn't himself because of the things that were controlling his thoughts which in turn controlled his actions. I think that is the case in these situations more than people think. Obviously not every time but it seems like a majority of the time some kind of substance took part in that person deciding to take their own life.

From the outside looking in I can see how that can especially happen to people that have served in the military. They're trained to be the toughest fighting machines on planet earth so maybe it's hard for them to reach out for help when it comes to dealing with the feelings they have inside? They ain't tryin to look or feel weak any more than any other person on earth. I could be completely wrong but I can see that being the case. I think there should be more support groups out there for veterans that may be suffering from PTSD and things. Platforms where veterans can share their experiences with other veterans who have been there and done that. Because that's who they need to talk to. Not a civilian that's never had those kind of feelings or had those same experiences.

Last edited by okrattler; 08-30-2021 at 01:03 AM.
okrattler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2021, 05:42 AM   #15
Ætheling
Pope & Young

Guy I went to Artillery School with spilled his brains outside of the barracks at Ft Hood in front of everyone. We found out later he was on Lithium and his recruiter knew and told him to stop taking it so he could enlist. A lot of those that enlist are on their last string anyways so probably adds to the high suicide rate.
Ætheling is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2021, 06:28 AM   #16
PlanoDano
Eight Point

Hunt In: TX, ID, CO

Mental Health issues are no joke. I would not guess if occurrences are increasing as there is no real historical baseline. We have always had those among us who self medicate with alcohol and/or drugs. We leave treatment of mental illness mostly to TDCJ. I am not saying that is right or wrong just putting it out there. When mental illness strikes a family it is amazing to observe the mothers in law on both sides defending their respective genome. Truth is 1/4 of us will face a diagnosable disorder. I believe veterans suffering from PTSD deserve treatment.

Be safe out there.
PlanoDano is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2021, 07:10 AM   #17
Button
Six Point

Hunt In: Mostly the ocean

Fight(kill) for a country to realize that it was for corrupt leaders aka corrupt corporations, ungrateful immoral citizens, all while they(we) are raping the earth. Gotta be hard. I send good vibes to all of those in a dark spot.
Button is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2021, 08:06 AM   #18
Tuffbroadhead
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshot View Post
The approach needs to shift as the old way of breaking someone's will in order to mold them back wont work when they come in broken already.
It will get worse, since the inception of COVID measures in BCT has/and will have a major effect on Recruits in All Branches.
Army BCT has changed drastically, "Shark Attack" is gone, Drill Instructors can no longer get within 6 ft of a recruit, in-processing is a complete mess with recruits just setting in barracks for weeks.

Because BCT has become much softer they saw a large decrease in recruit loss across the board and retention was at a high, stress on recruits was much lower. We all know where this will lead, with the lack of stress inoculation very bad things are going to happen.

At JBLM I have heard of several losses that were suicide and two murders
Tuffbroadhead is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2021, 09:28 AM   #19
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise Co.

Quote:

The problems and issues haven’t change since the days of the Spartans but each generation gets weaker.
Geezy Rider is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2021, 09:34 AM   #20
gonzaleziam
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hidalgo County

Sorry to hear that Speedgoat. So I have a question for you: How do I prepare my son who will join one of the branches in 2 years? His generation is definitely softer. We try to make him accountable for every action good or bad.
gonzaleziam is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2021, 12:36 PM   #21
brianlg31
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pandale

I lost my dad to suicide in 78’. So I do know it’s been around for awhile. My question is, have they always kept track of across the military suicides or just recently and with our access to information are we seeing it more? I mean in 78’ you didn’t hear very many people say that my dad had committed suicide. It was always “his dad passed away”. Is it more talked about today? I don’t know if that all makes sense and not presenting as fact, just thinking out loud.
brianlg31 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2021, 12:37 PM   #22
AtTheWall
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr County - Gillespie County

About 12 per day - heard this is up because of this current situation.
AtTheWall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2021, 12:47 PM   #23
forced-2-work
Eight Point

Hunt In: Ft Mckavett/Kimble County

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX CHICKEN View Post
I agree 100% and social media doesn’t help them! They see all these “perfect” people on social media and it makes them feel insecure/inadequate…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^^^ this is a very large part of the problem with society today I agree. get rid of social media because so much of it is fake anyway. heck, sometimes I wish we didn't have cell phones glued to every ones hands either. go back to when life was more simple in my opinion. just my thoughts about the situation
forced-2-work is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2021, 01:26 PM   #24
Ætheling
Pope & Young

One of the biggest factors IMO that is never talked about especially for Combat MOS Soldiers and Marines is the transition to civilian life.

You have zero workforce skills, killing people is not a job skill. You basically put your life on hold while those that went to college or learned a trade advanced.

Most civilian employers are not going to take a chance on you regardless of your "leadership" abilities if you don't have the direct experience they are looking for.

Everyone loves a vet until its time to hire one.

Going from a "hero" a warrior with the gravest responsibility, to kill for ones country to flipping burgers or making some *******s coffee at Starbucks is beyond depressing. I got to deliver Pizzas. Try going from a ****ing warrior to "hey this isnt what I ordered ******* go get me some extra pepperoni like I told the girl on the phone".

Guys that are married often have their wives leave and take their kids with them when they find out the guys that didn't enlist now have a degree or have moved up in their jobs and can provide stability.

You are lied to and told that the civilian population holds you upon high and that companies cant wait to hire you. BULL ****!!! Not saying this is everyone but this is most employers.

Last edited by Ætheling; 08-30-2021 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-30-2021, 02:41 PM   #25
PoppinPiggies
Six Point

Hunt In: Clay County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ætheling View Post
One of the biggest factors IMO that is never talked about especially for Combat MOS Soldiers and Marines is the transition to civilian life.

You have zero workforce skills, killing people is not a job skill. You basically put your life on hold while those that went to college or learned a trade advanced.

Most civilian employers are not going to take a chance on you regardless of your "leadership" abilities if you don't have the direct experience they are looking for.

Going from a "hero" a warrior with the gravest responsibility, to kill for ones country to flipping burgers or making some *******s coffee at Starbucks is beyond depressing. I got to deliver Pizzas. Try going from a ****ing warrior to "hey this isnt what I ordered ******* go get me some extra pepperoni like I told the girl on the phone".

Guys that are married often have their wives leave and take their kids with them when they find out the guys that didn't enlist now have a degree or have moved up in their jobs and can provide stability.

You are lied to and told that the civilian population holds you upon high and that companies cant wait to hire you. BULL ****!!! Not saying this is everyone but this is most employers.
Not sure that this is 100% accurate..... many military jobs give you plenty of workforce skills. Growing up in Wichita Falls with the airfare base I have seen tons of guys who work on aircraft get out and then hire right back on as a contractor doing the same job they did before but for a lot more money. I'm sure what you describe happens in some instances but I don't think its the majority, a lot of military jobs transfer over to the workforce well I think. I also know of many instances where if you are a veteran you are given priority over civilians in hiring if both candidates are qualified for the job. Shoot working for a staffing agency I can tell you that we get WOTC tax credits just like other employers when we hire veterans meaning it can be advantageous for us to hire a veteran over someone else.
PoppinPiggies is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2021, 02:44 PM   #26
PoppinPiggies
Six Point

Hunt In: Clay County

There's also the GI Bill to consider if you need to go get the credentials needed for your desired work field. I thank all veterans for their service and appreciate the sacrifices made for our country, I don't want to seem critical at all in this post. Just my civilian observations.
PoppinPiggies is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2021, 02:47 PM   #27
Ætheling
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppinPiggies View Post
Not sure that this is 100% accurate..... many military jobs give you plenty of workforce skills. Growing up in Wichita Falls with the airfare base I have seen tons of guys who work on aircraft get out and then hire right back on as a contractor doing the same job they did before but for a lot more money. I'm sure what you describe happens in some instances but I don't think its the majority, a lot of military jobs transfer over to the workforce well I think. I also know of many instances where if you are a veteran you are given priority over civilians in hiring if both candidates are qualified for the job. Shoot working for a staffing agency I can tell you that we get WOTC tax credits just like other employers when we hire veterans meaning it can be advantageous for us to hire a veteran over someone else.
I am specifically talking about Combat MOS Soldiers and Marines just like in my post. They do not get any real world skill like you are talking about. Trigger pullers, about 20 percent of the Army and Marine Corp. The rest of the service is getting skills. Field Artillery, Infantry, and Armor are not real world skills.

Last edited by Ætheling; 08-30-2021 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-30-2021, 02:55 PM   #28
Killer
Ten Point

Hunt In: God's green earth

Quote:

Man that is tough. I never thought of it that way. It seems you were able to overcome this. Thanks for your service and the protection you provided for me and my family.
I truly can not think of anything worse than going to war and how that would and does affect people.
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2021, 02:57 PM   #29
kevin nicholls
Ten Point

Hunt In: Who knows

Quote:

I know the adjustment is difficult, you go from high adrenalin life and death stuff to really mundane crap in a day. Then you'll look the rest of your life for the kind of trust you had in your buddies in the service. You'll never find it again as a civilian. I went from 10' tall and bullet proof to a security guard in a parking lot. Time is the best healer I guess. I've talked to several vets that struggle and it's usually along those lines.
kevin nicholls is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2021, 03:09 PM   #30
BowhunterB
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country and Searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezy Rider View Post
The problems and issues haven’t change since the days of the Spartans but each generation gets weaker.
Think it is a function of Maslow's (think that is right) Hierarchy of Needs. That farther away we get from having to worry about food and shelter, or basically the more comfortable we get, the softer we get. A few generations of having to worry about those things again and we would move back in the other direction.
BowhunterB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2021, 03:27 PM   #31
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Agreed! Well said

Different generation of males and "men" now

Our world is a joke
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2021, 03:38 PM   #32
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise Co.

Quote:
I am specifically talking about Combat MOS Soldiers and Marines just like in my post. They do not get any real world skill like you are talking about. Trigger pullers, about 20 percent of the Army and Marine Corp. The rest of the service is getting skills. Field Artillery, Infantry, and Armor are not real world skills.
Let’s see, my options getting out were mercenary, hit man, janitor. I chose instead to go to school and get a job working on airplanes. The best things I got from the army was discipline, a commitment to duty, a sense of honor and respect and the GI bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowhunterB View Post
Think it is a function of Maslow's (think that is right) Hierarchy of Needs. That farther away we get from having to worry about food and shelter, or basically the more comfortable we get, the softer we get. A few generations of having to worry about those things again and we would move back in the other direction.
Very good. Veritas!
Geezy Rider is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2021, 03:50 PM   #33
Katsaregood
Six Point

Quote:

My last surviving uncle came back from Vietnam a totally different man just like most anyone else. He drank heavily to try and deaden his emotions and scars. All the bodies in body bags he helped carry and stack in the landing craft he piloted made the war experience all that much more horrible. I remember him saying last year that trying to adjust to civilian life was extremely hard. He cried a lot as the recent war flashbacks played over and over in his head not long after making it back to the states. There were many stories told which he said are not in history books. His refusal to obey superiors appears to be what kept him alive. He was punished by being ordered to go below in the belly of the hot ship and remain there.

What got him in trouble? He said that his superiors wanted him to pilot a boat up a river without a mounted machine gun. The men were under orders to carry their rifles unloaded. He refused and told them they were completely nuts. He asked again to be allowed to carry loaded machine guns. Permission was not granted. As he was escorted below deck to the belly of the ship he told his superiors what he thought of them. Whay happened to the men who did carry out those orders on that boat to go upriver wasn’t pretty. Vietcong snipers were waiting and shot our men up. I don’t know exactly what the purpose was for making those men go without loaded weapons. If my memory is correct, they blamed LBJ for those orders.

To this day he still has chemical burn scars in his crotch area and upper thighs from being drenched with Agent Orange. On a side note, I have a theory about Agent Orange that I may share later on. This theory was based on a lot of research that I’ve done though it’s still incomplete. My uncle later came down with terminal cancer in the crotch area and spread through his body. Despite that cancer diagnosis he’s still alive today. His remarkable story is best told by the one who experienced it.

Last edited by Katsaregood; 08-30-2021 at 04:14 PM.
Katsaregood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2021, 04:25 PM   #34
Ætheling
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Man that is tough. I never thought of it that way. It seems you were able to overcome this. Thanks for your service and the protection you provided for me and my family.
I truly can not think of anything worse than going to war and how that would and does affect people.
I was young and unmarried. I know guys though that their wives split for college boys after ETS. My struggle was the job thing and the feeling of worthlessness that comes with tvat and the realization tvat you were deceived by recruitment. I eventually got an Accounting degree via my GI benefits and bought a house in The Woodlands via a VA loan in my mid 20s. Never would have happened otherwise. Being older now I dont regret a thing but the perspective is important in the mental health conversation.
Old 08-30-2021, 05:08 PM   #35
sailor
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Sorry Speed..
There's only a few left, that I served with.
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2021, 05:08 PM   #36
AtTheWall
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr County - Gillespie County

Quote:
Oh sure they are - LAW ENFORCEMENT - FBI - DEA - GI Bill up the education - the trigger pulling is already covered in spades.

If pursuing education isn't in the cards - they provide some assistance - then a cut over to rolling from ground up, afield and climbing the ranks, is what many who know that business top down - do.

LAW ENFORCEMENT - LORD KNOWS WE NEED THEM NOW!

Customs - Border Patrol - Fisheries - State - County and or City

Chew - is an example - ex Marine and working L/E

And there are a lot out there - in the Trade world - who will take a solid veteran in - they are on time - they push like no one else can and, all of them are TRAINABLE.

And the plus - they gain EXTRA SECURITY AT A TIME WHEN SECURITY - PHYSICAL AND OTHER APPLICATIONS IS URGENT FOR MANY NOW, with these Men & Women now on site working with the crew.

The Crew - will always respect that Veteran combat type - if they don't - time to move on.

It's not easy - but type casting it with a negative spin means - a little soul searching and networking is necessary cuz - your not a PIECE OF PAPER.

Life has stages - if you served - and you continue to educate and or "do professional development" in a trade - give it 20 years in the civilian sector - that MILITARY SERVICE and COMBAT TIME = separates you from the rest of the competition.

And in lieu of today's GEO - POLITICAL climate - many now understand a VET with specific skills - drive a truck to programming - doesn't matter - THEY BECOME THE LEADERS

It's not instant - you have to work with a goal - but work - hard work - ha nothing to it - you aint back there anymore.

Grab the boot straps - life may be short but - Vets who apply - really have an upper hand. They are mature - seasoned and don't freak out over CIVILIAN ISSUES.

There are dozens of trigger pullers here - and each know - it's service departure and rebranding oneself to fit into Civvie life. But one must continue to pursue that transition - knowing darn well - rebranding is necessary. You don't come out from any branch - clearly fit to form up with Civilians.

And a solid ex-veteran - knows NO QUIT and FIGHTING is the core - post military - the fight is now that transformation - nothing changed - it's now on your shoulders to engage = adjust and excel.

Last edited by AtTheWall; 08-30-2021 at 05:24 PM.
AtTheWall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2021, 05:25 PM   #37
Ætheling
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheWall View Post
Oh sure they are - LAW ENFORCEMENT - FBI - DEA - GI Bill up the education - the trigger pulling is already covered in spades.

If pursuing education isn't in the cards - they provide some assistance - then a cut over to rolling from ground up, afield and climbing the ranks, is what many who know that business top down - do.

LAW ENFORCEMENT - LORD KNOWS WE NEED THEM NOW!

Customs - Border Patrol - Fisheries - State - County and or City

Chew - is an example - ex Marine and working L/E

And there are a lot out there - in the Trade world - who will take a solid veteran in - they are on time - they push like no one else can and, all of them are TRAINABLE.

And the plus - they gain EXTRA SECURITY AT A TIME WHEN SECURITY - PHYSICAL AND OTHER APPLICATIONS IS URGENT FOR MANY NOW, with these Men & Women now on site working with the crew.

The Crew - will always respect that Veteran combat type - if they don't - time to move on.

It's not easy - but type casting it with a negative spin means - a little soul searching and networking is necessary cuz - your not a PIECE OF PAPER.

Life has stages - if you served - and you continue to educate and or "do professional development" in a trade - give it 20 years in the civilian sector - that MILITARY SERVICE and COMBAT TIME = separates you from the rest of the competition.

And in lieu of today's GEO - POLITICAL climate - many now understand a VET with specific skills - drive a truck to programming - doesn't matter - THEY BECOME THE LEADERS

It's not instant - you have to work with a goal - but work - hard work - ha nothing to it - you aint back there anymore.

Grab the boot straps - life may be short but - Vets who apply - really have an upper hand. They are mature - seasoned and don't freak out over CIVILIAN ISSUES.
Cool for you bro. I offered my real world opinion on the matter. I went LE and got a degree with no one helping me guide the way as you describe so easily. Many friends that went through what I did.

“Nothing to it”.

Last edited by Ætheling; 08-30-2021 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-30-2021, 05:26 PM   #38
Froggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Public land
Default Russian Army recruiting video vs US Army Recruiting Video

This may explain part of the problem.

Froggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2021, 05:42 PM   #39
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tyler County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
This may explain part of the problem.
Dear Lord. That made me sick to watch.
curtintex is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2021, 06:23 PM   #40
PlanoDano
Eight Point

Quote:

Sorry to hear this. I had just the opposite experience but I had a skill rating. When I have been on the hiring end I have always preferred vets. I have preferred them not just out of loyalty but in my experience they make better employees.
Old 08-30-2021, 06:35 PM   #41
Ætheling
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoDano View Post
Sorry to hear this. I had just the opposite experience but I had a skill rating. When I have been on the hiring end I have always preferred vets. I have preferred them not just out of loyalty but in my experience they make better employees.
They do make the best employees. After military service every job is significantly easier by default.

60,000 homeless vets on the streets with 1.4 million at risk. We as a society can do better. That stat is almost half if what it was when I ETSd so people are making a difference.

Last edited by Ætheling; 08-30-2021 at 06:45 PM.
Old 08-30-2021, 07:22 PM   #42
PlanoDano
Eight Point

Agreed ^^ Plus they show up on time every time and do not question the job at hand. Now if we could just get them bisch less.