Texas public hunting land ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just go where no one else goes!
    I’ve seen 3-4 hunters in the last several years on my way out and none of them where even close to where I hunt. Don’t believe what anyone say, It is possible

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Madden View Post
      Just go where no one else goes!
      I’ve seen 3-4 hunters in the last several years on my way out and none of them where even close to where I hunt. Don’t believe what anyone say, It is possible
      Oh I believe it, its either just not worth it or even physically possible for some of us older farts

Comment

you'll also find some public land hunters dont like to play by the rules. I have found multiple permanent stand setups and even feeders. Not much you can do in that situation besides trust they are lazy hunters and can help you more then they cant hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by SC-001 View Post
          Oh I believe it, its either just not worth it or even physically possible for some of us older farts
          I used to hunt an area of a unit that was a 3 mile hike in from the nearest road. Did really well there for several years but hauling a deer out of there was brutal when I was young. Now that I'm older, my back and knees won't do it. I used to rarely see a hunter back there but now a lot of younger guys discovered the area and it's no longer what it used to be. It's over hunted now and last time I was back there I ran into 4 seperate hunters. The area wasn't big enough for 5 of us. I guess I got "too old" just in time!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Dealing with other hunters is just part of public land hunting. And there are alot that dont follow the rules. Permanent stands and feeders are a common find. I have even found where guys have spiked the road to stop others from driving in. I just let em have it and move on. There is way more land out there than I'll ever be able to scout or hunt. But what ticks me off is when other hunters clearly see you, and refuse to show common courtesy of backing out. If i walk up on another hunter i back out as quite as possible and change game plans. I nearly did get in a fight a couple years ago when two guys moved in on my son. Opening morning of bow season, my son is in the tree an hour before daylight. About an hour after daylight he text me that two guys are coming towards him. I told him just wave your orange hat so they see you, they will move on. He says he did, they saw him, and now they were macheting all around him. I told him to sit tight and id be there quick as i could. My buddy had dropped us off, so i had to climb down and run about a mile and a half to where my son was. By the time i got there one guy had set up 50 yards behind him and the other guy was 50 yards to his left. I was so mad i couldn't see straight. I yelled up at them about ruining a kids hunt, bet them they wouldn't do a grown man like that, and offered to teach them both some respect. Neither would get out of their trees, so we made as much noise as possible and everybody's hunt was ruined. In retrospect i did not handle the situation right and am honestly surprised neither of them shot me. That was several years ago and ive had a few more run ins with jerks, but for the most part, i hunt where others aren't going and use the pressure to my advantage. Its part of it, but in all honesty it isn't that hard to get away from people if you scout enough and have multiple options.

Comment

A lot of what makes public hunting look fun on YouTube doesn't translate to areas I hunt. No driving around looking at fields, glassing, etc. I have a few spots I could spot and stalk, but more often I'm fighting brush and can't see past 20 yards. That's where I find deer though.

Comment

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
                I used to hunt an area of a unit that was a 3 mile hike in from the nearest road. Did really well there for several years but hauling a deer out of there was brutal when I was young. Now that I'm older, my back and knees won't do it. I used to rarely see a hunter back there but now a lot of younger guys discovered the area and it's no longer what it used to be. It's over hunted now and last time I was back there I ran into 4 seperate hunters. The area wasn't big enough for 5 of us. I guess I got "too old" just in time!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
                Oh I agree, pre early 2000's before GPS digital game cameras came to be there were some real honey holes, the hunting pressure was the same as it is today but without the crutch of GPS not everybody had that intuition to get to some of those difficult far away spots in the dark. It separated a class of hunters, those days are gone. I see more young bucks now but the true old giants are gone gone gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Allpublic View Post
                  Dealing with other hunters is just part of public land hunting. And there are alot that dont follow the rules. Permanent stands and feeders are a common find. I have even found where guys have spiked the road to stop others from driving in. I just let em have it and move on. There is way more land out there than I'll ever be able to scout or hunt. But what ticks me off is when other hunters clearly see you, and refuse to show common courtesy of backing out. If i walk up on another hunter i back out as quite as possible and change game plans. I nearly did get in a fight a couple years ago when two guys moved in on my son. Opening morning of bow season, my son is in the tree an hour before daylight. About an hour after daylight he text me that two guys are coming towards him. I told him just wave your orange hat so they see you, they will move on. He says he did, they saw him, and now they were macheting all around him. I told him to sit tight and id be there quick as i could. My buddy had dropped us off, so i had to climb down and run about a mile and a half to where my son was. By the time i got there one guy had set up 50 yards behind him and the other guy was 50 yards to his left. I was so mad i couldn't see straight. I yelled up at them about ruining a kids hunt, bet them they wouldn't do a grown man like that, and offered to teach them both some respect. Neither would get out of their trees, so we made as much noise as possible and everybody's hunt was ruined. In retrospect i did not handle the situation right and am honestly surprised neither of them shot me. That was several years ago and ive had a few more run ins with jerks, but for the most part, i hunt where others aren't going and use the pressure to my advantage. Its part of it, but in all honesty it isn't that hard to get away from people if you scout enough and have multiple options.
                  Man that would have made me livid too. Luckily, I have done the orange cap wave and that has worked so far. I know there will be a time that I will run in to some jack@@s that wont get the message.

Comment

Originally posted by Allpublic View Post
                    Pretty normal at Amistad on the weekends, them guys will come up and wave and setup within talking distance if you're in "their spot." It's as if none of these twerps have a plan, just one plan gonna sit there no matter what. I don't get it, I wouldn't dream of it just out of courtesy but even that aside I wouldn't want to be anywhere near someone else either way.

Comment

Working...
                    X