Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-29-2021, 10:04 PM   #51
rvd
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Prayers up. I’m 50 and had an ablation 2 years ago for a fib, haven’t had an issue since.
rvd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2021, 10:12 PM   #52
TXHunter12
Ten Point

Prayers for you and your family
TXHunter12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2021, 10:12 PM   #53
JES
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall and Ft. Bend County

Quote:
Originally Posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
Thought I would share with yaíll the little adventure Iíve been on and maybe it will keep someone from dealing with the same thing.

Iíve always considered myself to be fairly indestructible when it comes to health issues. Iíve never been sick, used to run marathons, and even did a couple Ironman competitions back in the day. I stayed pretty active even when I got of the service 18yrs ago but as kids were born and work got more intense I slacked off a bit.

I noticed about 10yr ago that I just wasnít feeling as well as I used to. I even noticed a few times that it felt like my heart didnít beat in a regular rhythm but I didnít think anything about. Over the years though I still noticed that I just wasnít the same. Thought it might be testosterone so I started doing replacement therapy about 4yrs ago.

The TRT didnít really seem to change anything and the worse I felt the more I drank. The more I drank the worse I felt. I was drinking 6-8 tall boys a night and it wasnít anything to knock out 2 30 packs of Ďstones at the lease on a 3 day weekend.

Fast forward to about 2 months ago. I realized something needed to change. When I was 35 I walked around at about 170lbs. I was now 5-9 and 210. I decided to lay off the beer and start exercising and working out again. I jumped full speed into and figured in a couple weeks I would start feeling better.

A month passes and if anything, I feel worse. I havenít lost a pound and my 5 1/2 mile walk gets harder every day instead of easier. At the 6 week point I can barely breathe when I get in bed and Iím up to 215lbs and my belly is so swollen it was like I had a beach ball in it.

The night of Thursday Aug 12 I thought I was going to suffocate in bed. I couldnít breathe and nothing I did seemed to make it better. Most of the pressure was under the upper RH side of my abdomen and I convinced myself that there was something wrong with my gallbladder. Most of the symptoms matched using my Google-Foo skills. I told myself that if I didnít feel better in the morning I was going to the emergency clinic.

Friday the 13thÖ.no change so I head to Hospitality ER. They are slammed with Covid but I get seen in about an hour. Tell them/show them the swelling in my belly and they do a CT scan of my abdomen. Itís full of fluid. One of the doctors said it looked like there was fluid in the lower part of my lungs but the image didnít show much since they were trying to see my abdomen. They did a CT of my chest and my heart and lungs are completely surrounded with fluid.

They suspect there may be something wrong with my heart so they order a BNP test. Results should be less than 100 for a 45yr old man and mine is 700ÖÖheart failure. They pump me full of Lasix to start getting fluid off and tell me I need to se a cardiologist pronto.

Iím lucky that one of my best friends is the Director of the cardiac center at the local hospital. He gets me in 2 days later morning and does an EKG. Iím in Atrial Fibrillation. My resting heart rate is 141 and the rhythm is so screwed up they canít read my blood pressure.

They schedule me for a cardioversion 3 days later. This is where they shock your heart to put it back in rhythm. The electro cardiologist tries it 3 times and it wonít take.

Next stepÖ.cardiac catheterization to attempt to see what is going on. Again, my buddy is on point and gets me scheduled for 5 days later. ResultsÖÖa kick in the nutz. Dilated Cardiomyopathy. My heart is ~70% enlarged and itís functioning at 10-15%. The results are so bad they check it twice because they havenít seen results like that in a 45yr old man.

The doctor who did the procedure told me my 5-6yrs of beer drinking has destroyed my heart. You die with 10-15% function. Basically told me I need a transplant and he doesnít refer patients who have substance abuse problems. He considers drinking every day substance abuse. My wife and I leave the hospital in a state of shock. This was this past Wednesday.

I have a follow up 2 days later on Friday with my normal cardiologist. He tells me I have had afib for a long long time which has significantly weakened my heart. The drinking didnít help it but the exercising and working out pushed it over the edge.

That brings us today. Iím having to wear a ďlife vestĒ that constantly monitors my heart and will shock me if it quits. I am have cardiac ablation done Thursday morning where they will attempt to burn the nerves in my heart to stop the afib. If they can stop the afib then there is a chance my heart can heal and strengthen to the point I can live a normal life.

If the ablation procedure doesnít work I will have to have a pacemaker/defibrillator implanted to get the rhythm correct. If the correct rhythm can be maintained there is a possibility that my heart will strengthen. They are saying I need to be at a minimum of 35% function. If we canít get it up to that level the next step will be a heart transplant due to my age.

Iím going next week to see an advanced heart failure cardiologist at Medical City in Dallas next week where weíll start having initial talks about a transplant.

So fellasÖ.if you think something isnít right with your body go get checked out sooner rather than later. If I would have gotten checked out 10 years ago (or even 5) I wouldnít be in this boat. Iím fortunate that I have close friends at both the local Cardic Center and at Medical City. Iíve got a couple million in life insurance so the wife and kid will be covered no matter what happens. I have some great friends that care about me and Iíve realized that as much as I **** and moan about my wife she is actually a pretty good woman and loves me.

Iíll tell ya, I never considered the possibility of being dead before 50 though outside of a car wreck or something. Hopefully things work out in my favor and Iíll get to stick around a while longer though.

To put a positive spin on itÖI weighed 216lbs on Aug 13th and I weighed 165 Friday morning so this is a great way to take some pounds off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm assuming this 51 pounds was all the fluid in you body? Amazing. Just using the density of water that was over 6 gallons of fluid you were retaining.

God was watching over you, you are amazingly lucky to be alive.

Glad you caught this before it was too late, you have a long road ahead of you though.
JES is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2021, 10:13 PM   #54
ByronB
Pope & Young

That is rough!!! Hope everything works out well for you.
ByronB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2021, 10:16 PM   #55
brents45
Ten Point

Hunt In: east texas, hill country

Thanks for sharing and best of luck to you!!
brents45 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2021, 11:00 PM   #56
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton , San perlita

My wife was getting where she couldn’t walk around the house or to her car without getting winded, a new cardio dr , a new onix heart valve, a ablation, some new medication, and she is now 300% better, she walks 3-4 times a week, lasikes cured the fluid problems
I don’t know if you are still doing testosterone ? IMO that will leave you in bad shape
Listen to the doctors and nurses, PT therapy center, and you have a great chance to leading a normal life, we will pray that god gave you the wisdoms of acceptance and your drinking is curbed and you stop the testosterone
S-3 Ranch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2021, 11:01 PM   #57
louieagarcia
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Planet Earth

Praying for you buddy, and thanks for taking the time to share your story. Very important for many of us to hear.
louieagarcia is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2021, 05:48 AM   #58
firehot
Pope & Young

Prayers up...
firehot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2021, 06:34 AM   #59
ontarget
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard

Thanks for sharing, prayers things get back on track soon.
ontarget is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2021, 06:40 AM   #60
slayr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Prayers up
slayr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2021, 07:55 AM   #61
JhuntsAlot
Eight Point

Hunt In: Houston County, Madison County, Kendall County, where friends are.

Man, that is some scary stuff. I am 45 also, have been drinking beer hard for a long time. Just not at your level at the lease, but much more a day/week in the last couple years and mixed in with whiskey and wine at night to "finish the job".

Have had high blood pressure since my mid 20's and starting to feel some things around my ribs that seem.....internal. Cant just stretch them out to feel better.

Prayers up for you sir and hope the best through this nightmare you are living and that I fear is in my future.

J
JhuntsAlot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2021, 08:15 AM   #62
175gr7.62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County,Harrison County, SW Kansas,

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyBevo View Post
First off, thanks so much for sharing. I truly wish you and your family the best and hope for a great outcome. Can I ask if you got your annual physicals?

I never did.

175gr7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2021, 10:23 AM   #63
PoppinPiggies
Six Point

Hunt In: Clay County

Praying for you and your family.
PoppinPiggies is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2021, 10:48 AM   #64
Briar Friar
Pope & Young

Godspeed your jourmey to good health Mr7.62. Prayers out for you and yours.
God bless!
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2021, 02:57 PM   #65
quarterback
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Prayers sent for a full recovery sir. Thanks for the message that we all need to hear.
quarterback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2021, 03:26 PM   #66
jdn79
Eight Point

Prayers up
jdn79 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2021, 04:30 PM   #67
dgilbert
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke Co

Prayers to you brother!
dgilbert is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2021, 04:56 PM   #68
EZ-10RANCH
Ten Point

Hunt In: McMullen county

Prayers for a full recovery. And thank you for sharing your story. I’m sure this will prompt some of our brothers and sisters on TBH to get regular check ups.
EZ-10RANCH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2021, 07:00 PM   #69
Mertzon Man
Pope & Young

God Bless you, and prayers for your treatment and full recovery.
Mertzon Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2021, 07:15 PM   #70
Deadfall65
Eight Point

Hunt In: Iím looking

Prayers to you and your family.

Deadfall65 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2021, 07:47 PM   #71
Killer
Ten Point

Hunt In: God's green earth

A great testimony prayers for your recovery !
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2021, 10:55 PM   #72
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Da'gum, Clint ! We better hurry up and have that lunch meeting!

Heck! You got this. I have 7 stents and a pacemaker...cancer...and currently Covid. I ain't going anywhere just yet, and neither are you. It's too hard to kill a weed!

Seriously, I know it's scary for you, but some of these procedures have gotten pretty routine. Relax.
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2021, 11:21 PM   #73
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Prayers up for a full recovery.....appreciate the eye opening message as well
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2021, 11:27 PM   #74
CassCounty
Six Point

Hunt In: CassCounty

Prayers up for your recovery. Thank you for sharing.
CassCounty is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2021, 11:30 PM   #75
hoythunter02
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady, Texas

Praying for you bud, that the heart strengthens each day.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
hoythunter02 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-31-2021, 06:51 AM   #76
D-BULL
Six Point

Hunt In: LIVEOAK, DIMMIT

prayers sent
D-BULL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-31-2021, 01:23 PM   #77
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnadell View Post
Da'gum, Clint ! We better hurry up and have that lunch meeting!

Heck! You got this. I have 7 stents and a pacemaker...cancer...and currently Covid. I ain't going anywhere just yet, and neither are you. It's too hard to kill a weed!

Seriously, I know it's scary for you, but some of these procedures have gotten pretty routine. Relax.
Clint, in retrospect, I did not mean to diminish the severity of your health issue. Prayer sent for a successful procedure and positive results for your future health!
Old 08-31-2021, 02:27 PM   #78
TildenHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tilden & Utopia

Best of luck and prayers sent!
TildenHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-31-2021, 09:55 PM   #79
jmwilliams07
Nubbin' Buck

Prayers sent brother.
jmwilliams07 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-31-2021, 11:19 PM   #80
rut-ro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

Prayers up Clint. Changing jobs and now currently working at the Medical Examiner’s office. It has made me keep up with Dr appointments and try and drop some pounds.
rut-ro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-01-2021, 07:52 AM   #81
175gr7.62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County,Harrison County, SW Kansas,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnadell View Post
Clint, in retrospect, I did not mean to diminish the severity of your health issue. Prayer sent for a successful procedure and positive results for your future health!

Didnít get that from you at all.

Had the ablation done yesterday. They had some issues and had to burn quite a bit more than they planned. Was under for 4hrs. Ended up having to go in 4 different places but when I left I wasnít in Afib anymore.

Feel like I have been over with a truck though. Iíve never been under general anesthesia that long.

175gr7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-01-2021, 08:20 AM   #82
WItoTX
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
Didnít get that from you at all.

Had the ablation done yesterday. They had some issues and had to burn quite a bit more than they planned. Was under for 4hrs. Ended up having to go in 4 different places but when I left I wasnít in Afib anymore.

Feel like I have been over with a truck though. Iíve never been under general anesthesia that long.

Fantastic news, I pray/hope everything keeps going the right direction for ya. You sound like me just a decade or two ahead as far as the indestructible and marathon comments go.

Thanks for sharing.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-01-2021, 01:27 PM   #83
Hardware
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Western US & Argentina

Prayers Up!!
Hardware is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-01-2021, 01:38 PM   #84
raider19
Eight Point

Great news. Hopefully that solves the problem and you can move on from here. Prayers for a speedy recovery sir
raider19 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2021, 09:00 PM   #85
Burnadell
Pope & Young

It sounds like they got you overhauled, and its a matter of healing up now.