No announcement yet.

MAPs Dove Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So this may be a naive question but what’s the significance of stocking crawfish in your ponds? Bass bait or vegetation control?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

So this may be a naive question but what’s the significance of stocking crawfish in your ponds? Bass bait or vegetation control?
      I'm just doing it to establish a food source for bass and catfish, I'm still a way's from adding those into this pond, so I want to get something going. I really have no idea how they will do, alot of the ones I put out where walking out of the water into the fallen leaves and branches laying on the ground. One skinny raccoon might be a fat raccoon by this weekend.

I really have the urge to "do something" so this was a quick and easy way to get started. With crawfish season almost over I only have about 2-3 weeks left to find crawfish available down here.

Comment

Awesome thread. Following

Comment

ponds are looking good, I havent put any fish in it...but I noticed alot of small fish up to an inch long in the water yesterday. I'm putting out a minnow trap to try and figure out what type they are. I have no idea where they came from, either they literally fell with the rain or the crawfish I released had some fish eggs on their legs.

Dove season is getting close, birds are starting to move it

Also found a few nice sheds that I will post up, nothing big just 130" class bucks

Several more projects are planned starting in October, ALOT of trees are going in this fall
          Attached Files
          Last edited by MAP; 08-17-2021, 02:46 PM.

Comment

You won't get more rain than we did this year.... without a hurricane possibly

Comment

This thread is amazing already can't wait to continue to see the improvements made.

Comment

I would wager the minnows are gambusia's. They have a magical way of showing up in unstocked ponds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

You won't get more rain than we did this year.... without a hurricane possibly
                  I know, its a hard choice to drain it or leave it alone. I wish I would have had the dozer stay another 2 or 3 days and that I had added brush and habitat before the big rains.

I would wager the minnows are gambusia's. They have a magical way of showing up in unstocked ponds.
                  I'll post pics if I catch some, there is no other water source that could have overflowed into this pond from the rain

Comment

Did you shoot that boar?

Comment

Are you going to make a bridge over to that island? We have an island out in the middle of our pond. It's a pain in the ***** to get in a boat to go over with the weed wacker...

Comment

Looking Great! Congrats!

Comment

Are you going to make a bridge over to that island? We have an island out in the middle of our pond. It's a pain in the ***** to get in a boat to go over with the weed wacker...
                          yeah I'm going to have a pier connecting the two, wide enough for a golf cart to cross. On that island I'm going to have something built on it like the below reference photo. Except mine will have a fireplace and fully enclosed on 3 sides with fold up windows.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I'm ready for spring this year, everything is so brown and dead looking. A few hackberries and some of the mulberry trees are blooming, but its nice to look back at the green pictures posted above.

I did some planting the other day, trying to dress up the front gates.

I also found 2 dead deer, one doe that got caught and drug from the high fence. The buck was a 2 1/2 year old 10 point that had just died, he was still moveable when I found the birds on him.
                            Attached Files

Comment

I've got some big projects coming up, one being drilling a water well. For now I've been doing little fun things.

Since this place will mostly be used for bird hunting, I setup a few photo spots for turkey harvest pictures. I've always like the pictures of dead turkeys draped over an old gate or fence, so I added one. For morning hunts the pond will be in the background and for evening hunts, the sunset will be in the back ground. I also put in a 70+ year old cedar fence post to hang dead turkeys off, the sunset is always nice in this spot and will be in the background of the pictures.

I've also been cutting down some dead or stunted hackberry trees to help open up and give room to the oak trees out there. You can tell how much this live oak was affected by this hackberry, it has very few branches on the right side so hopefully it will open up now.

I've also been keeping the quail waterers and feeders full, I have 3 different coveys visiting this single waterer

Overall this place, like everywhere else, needs a good rain and a good mowing around the pond and under some of the bigger trees. I've been thinking about buying a skid steer with mower attachment, but I also know I can get alot of mowing done by somebody else for decades for the price of one.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Yeah brown is an understatement. Did yall get anything last night/early morning today ?

Comment

Working...
                                X