No announcement yet.

New World Record, gotta brag a little

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Note to self #472: DO NOT get within a mile of Wrecklessranch or Stick1!

Congrats to all!

Comment

Thanks. I was thinking more of a heat sensitivity issue with the power. Figured even with so-called stable powders, there would be some minimal effects of chamber heat which could be magnified at those distances. But good to know that is not much of an issue until further along in the shot string. Again, kudos for some fine shooting with some fine rigs!

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
        Unless you notice a wind shift or other condition change, not normally. The guns we build for this game don't usually experience a cold bore shift. Not saying it can't happen, but if we see a barrel that exhibits that behavior it gets culled. Once you get up into a longer string, its not unusual to see a little shift. That's usually more of a heat sensitivity of the powder vs. a barrel thing. We're running 10-16 round strings at most of these matches and the barrels get screaming hot. You need to be ready to send it quickly after closing the bolt. Unfortunately, there is not really a temp stable powder option for the big cases at this time. That said, the ES/SD numbers we can achieve with what we have is pretty impressive. Low single digits is the norm.
        Has anyone tried to play around with liquid cooling of the barrel surrounding the chamber to prevent this? Seems like it would be easy enough to do to try out anyway.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That’s awesome!! Are those known ranges prior to shooting? Or do you have to range them in with a rangefinder yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Very very cool!

Comment

Congrats to All!

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                  Very very cool!
                  They will list them before the match, thankfully. I wouldn't want to shell out the $$ for a rangefinder that could hit them reliably. My little Leica 3500 will get most of them, if the sun and cloud cover is just right, or if it's the perfect time of day, or if the targets are painted right, or if...........Haha.

Comment

That is super cool. I have shot acccurately up to 1k and cant imagine going 2x or 3x further than that.

Comment

What type of optics do you need to even see the cross hairs on the target that far away?

Comment

Congrats on some fine shoot-n.

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
                          What type of optics do you need to even see the cross hairs on the target that far away?
                          I think a lot of folks would be surprised to learn how little magnification is actually used by most of the better shooters. Something in the 15x-25x range is ideal. A top end of 18x wouldn't scare me at all. We all run 7-35s but can rarely use the top end of that range. Mirage is usually present over those distances and and you end up backing out of the top end to contend with it continually throughout the day.

The larger FOV on the low end(15x-20x)is a bigger advantage than the target detail you gain on the high end(20x+)in most cases. You can't correct what you can't see, and being zoomed in certainly limits what you can see once the shot breaks and things start moving. Most targets will be 1 to 1.5 MOA in size. Using a FFP scope, your reticle will scale with the target, so you really don't need to see much target detail to get centered up. Seeing a large area of ground around the target will let you get some good feedback for a correction if you miss.

Here's why that's important - Most times you only have 5 shots at each target. They are scored on multipliers(usually actual distance x shot#) that decrease with each shot taken. A first round impact at 2,500 yds would be 2,500 points x 5. A 2nd round impact would be 2,500 points x 4 .......and then x3/x2/x1 for the remaining shots. Even though you get 5 chances, the points don't really add up unless you connect in the first 3. The reason I chose the 7-35 over the 5-25 in the scope model I run is because I believe the 7-35 has the better image quality of the two in the range I typically run them.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                            Congrats on some fine shoot-n.
                            Thanks!

Comment

Congrats! That’s a hell of an accomplishment!

Comment

WOW congrats! thats amazing

Comment

Working...
                                X