No announcement yet.

TPWD Draw Hunts and Non-residents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If TPWD had a program that allowed a non-drawn hunter to volunteer to help run the/a hunt in exchange for a preference point or two for the following year in the hunt category of your choosing, would you volunteer?

Comment

Originally posted by camoclad View Post
      You'll have bigger problems than drawing odds if you ever leave Tyeaxus. Lol
      True story

Comment

Originally posted by Preacher Man View Post
        If TPWD had a program that allowed a non-drawn hunter to volunteer to help run the/a hunt in exchange for a preference point or two for the following year in the hunt category of your choosing, would you volunteer?
        No, because their preference points don’t mean anything.

Comment

Good point. Didn’t know this. I deleted the email, but I’ll
          Be going back to find it!

Comment

After traveling across the country throughout my life. It’s amazing how little public land exists in Texas compared to other states. FWIW I go to Big Bend every year, lots of land.

Texas resident for Texas tags.

Comment

It doesn't bother me except for New Mexico residents. They are biggest bunch of whiners I have ever seen.

Comment

I submitted similar comments on my survey before I saw your thread. Glad to see I’m it the only one who feels this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                  I believe they still have to buy a non-resident Texas hunting license which is a much higher fee than residents pay. Now if they were to mimic Colorado they'd have to buy that NR license before they can apply, but at least the ones who're successful will purchase it. On the other hand, OP, I don't think NR's are flocking to our draw to hunt in TX though so this is likely a fairly minimal impact.
                  You mean mimic every other western’ish state.... NM, Okla, CO, UT, AZ, Idaho, WY, Montana, NV, WA, OR, etc all require a non refundable license. Those are just state I apply in every year

3% of 250k is still significant especially when we aren’t capped on hunts per species. Our exotic/aoudad hunts have significant NR Apps.

Comment

Originally posted by Go Pokes View Post
                    Same in Oklahoma...NR pay the same as residents for the draw hunts. NR just has to pay the higher priced NR license.
                    Only draw in Oklahoma you don't have to have a current license to enter is the LO Pronghorn, because it's considered crop depredation and are transferable.

Comment

I ripped them up in their survey about Preference points, mutiple app per hunt, etc. I wish it would go back to the old way. I haven't been drawn since they went online. It's all about the money to them and I told them that.

Comment

Originally posted by apkleinschmidt View Post
                        I just filled out their annual survey on the draw system.

I left comments questioning why Non-residents have the same application fees and draw odds when no other state in the US offers the same. We get boned on fees and odds for all western hunts in all western states. And we have the least federal land of all of them, by a longshot. I mean a nonresident won one of our only bighorn tags!!! It clearly upset me haha.

Please follow suit and comment to the same effect. Maybe we can get some traction.

*If I'm wrong about the odds and fees please correct me and I'll edit my post.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
                        I got it and will do the same....that sheep tag was supposed to be MINE!

ac

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                          I believe non-residents are awarded around 14% of available NM bighorn sheep tags. Seems like that is pretty fair for the very limited Sheep tags?
                          What percentage of total sheep tag revenue comes from NR?

The resident tag is $160
                          Non-Resident tag is $3173

NR PER 100 tags foot 70% of revenue.

If residents what to foot the wildlife funding revenue loss. Cut all NR Tags.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                            What percentage of total sheep tag revenue comes from NR?

The resident tag is $160
                            Non-Resident tag is $3173

NR PER 100 tags foot 70% of revenue.

If residents what to foot the wildlife funding revenue loss. Cut all NR Tags.
                            The price does not seem to have any impact on the number of applicants so those tags may be a little undervalued by the game and fish.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                              I'd be interested to see the numbers, if you do the request please let us know what you find out. The NR Texas hunting license is WAY more than double though, way more.
                              Non-resident big game license has 5 whitetail tags, 2 mule deer, and 4 turkey tags, two javillina and includes small game and upland.

What state has the same for $315?

The equivalent
                              In NM that's $2300, although you can't get that many deer tags
                              In Oklahoma that's $482 if you only hunt deer in one season. (Although you can get that many deer tags or turkey or javi)

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                                The price does not seem to have any impact on the number of applicants so those tags may be a little undervalued by the game and fish.
                                Lol, well played.

Comment

Working...
                                X