No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Granger is a trophy hunt. 75% of permit holders are not able to dedicate the time there in order to score due to travel distance. Drawing 40 permits from a closer group of hunters an 10 extra permits from remainder of state.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
      Granger is a trophy hunt. 75% of permit holders are not able to dedicate the time there in order to score due to travel distance. Drawing 40 permits from a closer group of hunters an 10 extra permits from remainder of state.

That’s what they have tried to do with the few standby spots in the past. Locals will come to standby and put in the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Maybe they limit 10 permit draws and 40 standbys.

Comment

Hmmm, that's a thought. Perhaps a 60/40 or 75/25 split. What would the criteria be for local?

Comment

60 mile radius

Comment

Originally posted by Wudstix View Post
              Perhaps limiting deer harvest to doe only and then with documented doe harvest a random draw for a buck tag. With a limit on total hunters based on acreage. Management of this would be a challenge and any violations would have to be addressed immediately and severely. Hang the first violator and the word would get out! (Just kidding) Kinda!
              This sounds like a good compromise. One doe and then draw on bucks. The goal would be to allow more deer hunters opportunities and kill more deer without damaging the whole population. By what I am seeing there is an excess of deer out there. As for the hogs, I think i saw the only one that is at Granger.

Comment

Originally posted by newronin View Post
                This sounds like a good compromise. One doe and then draw on bucks. The goal would be to allow more deer hunters opportunities and kill more deer without damaging the whole population. By what I am seeing there is an excess of deer out there. As for the hogs, I think i saw the only one that is at Granger.

So three factors to consider with an argument about deer population. 1) carrying capacity of the property 2) buck to doe ratio 3)more hunting opportunities for more people. With all the agricultural fields around the lake and the thick vegetation, the carrying capacity for this property is extremely high. So to say there is an excess of deer is subjective at best. On average I believe they harvest between 75-100 doe per year and maybe 10-15 bucks (all small deer so don’t even bother applying for the hunt-it’s a waste of time). These harvest ratios help keep the buck to doe ratio better aligned. If anything, there ends up being too many bucks that would be considered culls or management deer on other properties. If they would make any changes, I would say open up a management deer opportunity like they do at places like The Chap or James Daughtrey where bucks have to be over 13” or 14” wide and have 7 or 8 points or less to harvest.

Comment

There are no pigs at Granger (during legal shooting hours).

Comment

Originally posted by zins708 View Post
                    So three factors to consider with an argument about deer population. 1) carrying capacity of the property 2) buck to doe ratio 3)more hunting opportunities for more people. With all the agricultural fields around the lake and the thick vegetation, the carrying capacity for this property is extremely high. So to say there is an excess of deer is subjective at best. On average I believe they harvest between 75-100 doe per year and maybe 10-15 bucks (all small deer so don’t even bother applying for the hunt-it’s a waste of time). These harvest ratios help keep the buck to doe ratio better aligned. If anything, there ends up being too many bucks that would be considered culls or management deer on other properties. If they would make any changes, I would say open up a management deer opportunity like they do at places like The Chap or James Daughtrey where bucks have to be over 13” or 14” wide and have 7 or 8 points or less to harvest.

With all due respect, the carrying capacity is not the issue I brought up. it is the fact that no matter where I have gone at Granger, I have seen an abundance of deer. I have been there 10 times (spending 2.5 - 4 hours each time) and covered a lot of terrain. I have never failed to see at least 10 deer (one time as many as 40, mostly does and fawns) each time and on eight of the ten times I have seen bucks that would be well over the 13" minimum. Compare that to the one hog I saw. There is definitely enough deer to allow more deer hunting opportunities to the public. The funny part is that all I have heard from locals is complaints about not being drawn to hunt there for years, yet the deer population is so high. Hmmmmm.........

Comment

I went out today to a "hoggy" looking spot and no hogs again (once again lots of deer- one really nice buck). I think I am done with hog hunting at Granger for awhile (just not seeing the hogs).

Comment

Hunt the thick stuff were you can hardly get a shot. Move slower than you think possible and then spend time glassing the real thick stuff. Best opportunity comes with a group moving the hogs out of escape cover. Don't be shy about shooting a small pig. Or taking it with a tomahawk!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wudstix View Post
                          Hunt the thick stuff were you can hardly get a shot. Move slower than you think possible and then spend time glassing the real thick stuff. Best opportunity comes with a group moving the hogs out of escape cover. Don't be shy about shooting a small pig. Or taking it with a tomahawk!!!
                          Thanks for the tips Wudstix. I have been through some stuff I wouldn't wish on the devil and would at least expect to hear/see hogs blowing out in front of me. Nothing. And the times I do hear/see something ahead of me it is deer. If is really thick it is usually a nice buck with does. i would shoot any pig at these point!

Comment

Went for a walk with my bow this evening at gate 9. Found this in the woods and was hoping it was marking the pig killing spot I need. Somebody lose their head out here?

Comment

Originally posted by Rockstar69 View Post
                              Went for a walk with my bow this evening at gate 9. Found this in the woods and was hoping it was marking the pig killing spot I need. Somebody lose their head out here?

Could you imaging walking out to your spot in the dark and having your flashlight shine on that in the middle of the woods? No thank you.

Comment

I get up there three or four times a year, one usually being the GRXH and usually move pigs. Hunting solo is about as tough as it gets at Granger.

Comment

Working...
                                X