Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 12-16-2020, 11:13 AM   #12551
Trumpkin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sore Finger!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newronin View Post
Was out Sunday and Monday. I saw 3 hunters on Sunday and none on Monday. I didn't see any hogs either day.

My real question after seeing herds of deer at every location i have tried around the lake is, was there ever general deer hunting in Granger or has it always been a draw system? Why don't they just open it up to the general public to archery only deer hunting for the whole deer season and give more PHL holders a chance to hunt deer?
Fake news! There's no deer at Granger.

Someone had to say it.
Trumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2020, 02:42 PM   #12552
Wudstix
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a Tripod usually or Ground Blind.

Dwarf,
It's "no hogs at Granger" there are a couple deer!
Wudstix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2020, 11:56 AM   #12553
toomuchsun
Eight Point

Hunt In: on the edge

There are 2 deer. Wearing little bells and a ribbon. One has a red nose.
toomuchsun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2020, 01:06 PM   #12554
zins708
Six Point

Hunt In: Junction, Pleasanton, Public Lands
Default "OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Quote:
Was out Sunday and Monday. I saw 3 hunters on Sunday and none on Monday. I didn't see any hogs either day.

My real question after seeing herds of deer at every location i have tried around the lake is, was there ever general deer hunting in Granger or has it always been a draw system? Why don't they just open it up to the general public to archery only deer hunting for the whole deer season and give more PHL holders a chance to hunt deer?

Itís not big enough to open it up for walk-in deer hunting even if itís archery only. You look at the national forests in TX that have walk in hunting and they are 5-10x the size. The smaller ones donít have any deer. Granger would be deer hunted out the first year if you opened it up. Look at how hard it is the find a hog out there now with the hunting pressure. Thatís what the deer hunting would be like if they opened it up. If the deer population gets out of hand, they would just open up more draw spots. There are already nothing but small spikes and doe out there now as is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zins708 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2020, 06:26 PM   #12555
Wudstix
Pope & Young

Perhaps limiting deer harvest to doe only and then with documented doe harvest a random draw for a buck tag. With a limit on total hunters based on acreage. Management of this would be a challenge and any violations would have to be addressed immediately and severely. Hang the first violator and the word would get out! (Just kidding) Kinda!
Old 12-17-2020, 06:39 PM   #12556
Spoiled_TN_boy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public Land

Granger is a trophy hunt. 75% of permit holders are not able to dedicate the time there in order to score due to travel distance. Drawing 40 permits from a closer group of hunters an 10 extra permits from remainder of state.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Spoiled_TN_boy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2020, 06:42 PM   #12557
zins708
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
Granger is a trophy hunt. 75% of permit holders are not able to dedicate the time there in order to score due to travel distance. Drawing 40 permits from a closer group of hunters an 10 extra permits from remainder of state.

Thatís what they have tried to do with the few standby spots in the past. Locals will come to standby and put in the time.

Old 12-17-2020, 06:43 PM   #12558
Spoiled_TN_boy
Ten Point

Maybe they limit 10 permit draws and 40 standbys.

Old 12-17-2020, 06:43 PM   #12559
Wudstix
Pope & Young

Hmmm, that's a thought. Perhaps a 60/40 or 75/25 split. What would the criteria be for local?
Old 12-17-2020, 06:49 PM   #12560
Spoiled_TN_boy
Ten Point

60 mile radius

Old 12-18-2020, 12:52 PM   #12561
newronin
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudstix View Post
Perhaps limiting deer harvest to doe only and then with documented doe harvest a random draw for a buck tag. With a limit on total hunters based on acreage. Management of this would be a challenge and any violations would have to be addressed immediately and severely. Hang the first violator and the word would get out! (Just kidding) Kinda!
This sounds like a good compromise. One doe and then draw on bucks. The goal would be to allow more deer hunters opportunities and kill more deer without damaging the whole population. By what I am seeing there is an excess of deer out there. As for the hogs, I think i saw the only one that is at Granger.
newronin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2020, 01:37 PM   #12562
zins708
Six Point

Quote:
This sounds like a good compromise. One doe and then draw on bucks. The goal would be to allow more deer hunters opportunities and kill more deer without damaging the whole population. By what I am seeing there is an excess of deer out there. As for the hogs, I think i saw the only one that is at Granger.

So three factors to consider with an argument about deer population. 1) carrying capacity of the property 2) buck to doe ratio 3)more hunting opportunities for more people. With all the agricultural fields around the lake and the thick vegetation, the carrying capacity for this property is extremely high. So to say there is an excess of deer is subjective at best. On average I believe they harvest between 75-100 doe per year and maybe 10-15 bucks (all small deer so donít even bother applying for the hunt-itís a waste of time). These harvest ratios help keep the buck to doe ratio better aligned. If anything, there ends up being too many bucks that would be considered culls or management deer on other properties. If they would make any changes, I would say open up a management deer opportunity like they do at places like The Chap or James Daughtrey where bucks have to be over 13Ē or 14Ē wide and have 7 or 8 points or less to harvest.

Old 12-18-2020, 07:23 PM   #12563
NightStalker
Six Point

There are no pigs at Granger (during legal shooting hours).
NightStalker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2020, 08:16 PM   #12564
newronin
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by zins708 View Post
So three factors to consider with an argument about deer population. 1) carrying capacity of the property 2) buck to doe ratio 3)more hunting opportunities for more people. With all the agricultural fields around the lake and the thick vegetation, the carrying capacity for this property is extremely high. So to say there is an excess of deer is subjective at best. On average I believe they harvest between 75-100 doe per year and maybe 10-15 bucks (all small deer so donít even bother applying for the hunt-itís a waste of time). These harvest ratios help keep the buck to doe ratio better aligned. If anything, there ends up being too many bucks that would be considered culls or management deer on other properties. If they would make any changes, I would say open up a management deer opportunity like they do at places like The Chap or James Daughtrey where bucks have to be over 13Ē or 14Ē wide and have 7 or 8 points or less to harvest.

With all due respect, the carrying capacity is not the issue I brought up. it is the fact that no matter where I have gone at Granger, I have seen an abundance of deer. I have been there 10 times (spending 2.5 - 4 hours each time) and covered a lot of terrain. I have never failed to see at least 10 deer (one time as many as 40, mostly does and fawns) each time and on eight of the ten times I have seen bucks that would be well over the 13" minimum. Compare that to the one hog I saw. There is definitely enough deer to allow more deer hunting opportunities to the public. The funny part is that all I have heard from locals is complaints about not being drawn to hunt there for years, yet the deer population is so high. Hmmmmm.........
Old 12-18-2020, 08:19 PM   #12565
newronin
Nubbin' Buck

I went out today to a "hoggy" looking spot and no hogs again (once again lots of deer- one really nice buck). I think I am done with hog hunting at Granger for awhile (just not seeing the hogs).
Old 12-18-2020, 08:52 PM   #12566
Wudstix
Pope & Young

Hunt the thick stuff were you can hardly get a shot. Move slower than you think possible and then spend time glassing the real thick stuff. Best opportunity comes with a group moving the hogs out of escape cover. Don't be shy about shooting a small pig. Or taking it with a tomahawk!!!
Old 12-18-2020, 09:31 PM   #12567
newronin
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Hunt the thick stuff were you can hardly get a shot. Move slower than you think possible and then spend time glassing the real thick stuff. Best opportunity comes with a group moving the hogs out of escape cover. Don't be shy about shooting a small pig. Or taking it with a tomahawk!!!
Thanks for the tips Wudstix. I have been through some stuff I wouldn't wish on the devil and would at least expect to hear/see hogs blowing out in front of me. Nothing. And the times I do hear/see something ahead of me it is deer. If is really thick it is usually a nice buck with does. i would shoot any pig at these point!
Old 12-19-2020, 07:13 PM   #12568
Rockstar69
Four Point

Hunt In: Not sure yet

Went for a walk with my bow this evening at gate 9. Found this in the woods and was hoping it was marking the pig killing spot I need. Somebody lose their head out here?

Rockstar69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2020, 09:13 PM   #12569
zins708
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar69 View Post
Went for a walk with my bow this evening at gate 9. Found this in the woods and was hoping it was marking the pig killing spot I need. Somebody lose their head out here?

Could you imaging walking out to your spot in the dark and having your flashlight shine on that in the middle of the woods? No thank you.
Old 12-19-2020, 10:53 PM   #12570
Wudstix
Pope & Young

I get up there three or four times a year, one usually being the GRXH and usually move pigs. Hunting solo is about as tough as it gets at Granger.
Old 12-20-2020, 02:34 AM   #12571
newronin
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
I get up there three or four times a year, one usually being the GRXH and usually move pigs. Hunting solo is about as tough as it gets at Granger.
No kidding. I am not the best hunter in the woods, but I can usually get in on game. Hogs are a new game to me, but I was able on several occasions I was able to stalk within 40 yards of deer out there (still outside my range).
Old 12-20-2020, 08:07 AM   #12572
Deaf
Six Point

Hunt In: Public land, mostly granger

Yep. Talk about suck! Yall are making want to get back out there though. Maybe after I sausage up all the hog meat in my freezer.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Deaf is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2020, 08:33 AM   #12573
Rockstar69
Four Point

Just saw a sounder of 35-40. Moving north. Moving fast. All sizes available. Guess I start trying to catch up now.

Old 12-20-2020, 09:29 PM   #12574
Wudstix
Pope & Young

I'm almost always solo and see/hear hogs with out shots. Mostly moving straight away as I bust 'em out. Maybe I should practice my lob shot. Trying to drop an arrow in as they sprint away!!!
Old 12-20-2020, 11:49 PM   #12575
newronin
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
I'm almost always solo and see/hear hogs with out shots. Mostly moving straight away as I bust 'em out. Maybe I should practice my lob shot. Trying to drop an arrow in as they sprint away!!!
I must just be hunting the wrong spots. I have found some tracks, dropping, and rooting areas, but only one hog.
Old 12-21-2020, 09:20 AM   #12576
Trumpkin
Ten Point

Granger makes us all pay our dues. It'll go from feast to famine at the drop of a hat. You'll get into hogs every trip for months on end, and just when you think you understand it, the magic ends and it's time to pay more dues.
Old 12-21-2020, 06:03 PM   #12577
Wudstix
Pope & Young

This ^^^^^^^
Old 12-21-2020, 07:30 PM   #12578
toomuchsun
Eight Point

Ok I want the magic to begin? If only for a brief moment. Just funnin but Only hogs for me was one spooked out of dense ragweed last year and a group of 4 while fishing. Last year mass of sign. SOoo I felt good. This year Very Little sign. I love walking the areas but spent an hour scraping the clay from my boots due to last trip, drizzzlin. Does UBER give rides to cover more territory? I am going to shoot a squirrel with a serious broadhead and wear that sucker as a bloody hat. (Wait, than the yotes will see me as dinner?)
Old 12-21-2020, 09:29 PM   #12579
Wudstix
Pope & Young

If it was easy we'd soon lose interest, the challenge and ticks is what keeps us on our toes. I've taken a couple, but usually its a nice hike or kayak ride in, a long walk around and good excuse for a camping trip.
Old 12-30-2020, 09:13 AM   #12580
CARNAGE68
Six Point

Hunt In: Granger PHL, Luminant WMA, Somerville PHL

Another Texas heart shot at 7 yards in a thick brush. Name:  20201228_140223.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  285.0 KBName:  20201228_141701.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  197.5 KB

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
CARNAGE68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2020, 09:30 AM   #12581
TXFireFighter
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX HillCountry, Granger WMA

Nice!
TXFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2020, 11:16 AM   #12582
DHOutdoorsman
Four Point

Hunt In: all Public Lands, and soon to be Granger for Hogs

Nice, congrats
DHOutdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2020, 11:16 AM   #12583
Trumpkin
Ten Point

Dang Carnage, that Toelke longbow looks good. Nice work on the pig too.
Old 12-30-2020, 01:01 PM   #12584
Deaf
Six Point

Hunt In: Public land, mostly granger

Oh dang, carnage back at it! Hopefully you save some pigs for the rest of us

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Deaf is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2020, 01:09 PM   #12585
HogStalker
Six Point

Hunt In: Granger, Somerville, Bandera County

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARNAGE68 View Post
Another Texas heart shot at 7 yards in a thick brush. Attachment 1034251Attachment 1034252

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

ďThe manĒ is back. Now thereís definitely no hogs left at Granger or wonít be in short order.

Congrats Carnage

HogStalker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2020, 01:38 PM   #12586
CityLimtRedneck
Four Point

Hunt In: Williamson, Schleicher, DCNF

Well done, nice to see a recent kill on the thread!
CityLimtRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2020, 01:48 PM   #12587
NAVY CHIEF
Ten Point

Hunt In: GRANGER LAKE, TX 25 YEARS/COLORADO 3 YEARS

omG yesssss! Carnage get out of my spots. I always have to tell u dangit
NAVY CHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2020, 10:34 AM   #12588
Trumpkin
Ten Point

Rain and cold? Oh my, that's when Granger gets good...

Kinda wish I hadn't detuned my bow. I'm not finished setting up my new arrows, and I'll have to relearn trajectories before I'm ready to hunt again.

Last edited by Trumpkin; 12-31-2020 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-01-2021, 12:03 AM   #12589
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpkin View Post
Rain and cold? Oh my, that's when Granger gets good...

Kinda wish I hadn't detuned my bow. I'm not finished setting up my new arrows, and I'll have to relearn trajectories before I'm ready to hunt again.
Thatís called an ďadvance excuseĒ
Jspradley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2021, 06:14 PM   #12590
Trumpkin
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspradley View Post
Thatís called an ďadvance excuseĒ
Us trad guys are good at excuses. Gotta take a class on it before they let you own a stickbow .
Old 01-02-2021, 04:56 PM   #12591
Speedgoat
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Iraq, Afghanistan, Sudan, etc.

How many arrows does it take to kill a pig? All of them of course, lol

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
Speedgoat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2021, 05:23 PM   #12592
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Texas heart shot at it again! Congrats carnage!

No deer at granger and even less when you talk about it on social media! they have the draw so screwed up now its not even funny but is what it is. Maybe one day I'll get lucky and be able to hunt some spikes out there again
bloodtrailer28 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2021, 05:26 PM   #12593
Speedgoat
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Iraq, Afghanistan, Sudan, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
Texas heart shot at it again! Congrats carnage!

No deer at granger and even less when you talk about it on social media! they have the draw so screwed up now its not even funny but is what it is. Maybe one day I'll get lucky and be able to hunt some spikes out there again
I know guys that been drawn 3+ times and not killed a buck yet. How is that even possible? Too many deer ar Granger. Guys get drawn and hunt once or twice. They take spots from us that would kill. Yeah, its irritating.

Speedgoat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2021, 06:22 PM   #12594
HogStalker
Six Point

Hunt In: Granger, Somerville, Bandera County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedgoat View Post
I know guys that been drawn 3+ times and not killed a buck yet. How is that even possible? Too many deer ar Granger. Guys get drawn and hunt once or twice. They take spots from us that would kill. Yeah, its irritating.

Oh I know that guy, lol.

HogStalker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2021, 07:29 PM   #12595
zins708
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedgoat View Post

Looks like a woman got it done this week on a big ole spike out there. If you put in the time, you will get opportunities.

Old 01-04-2021, 08:05 AM   #12596
toomuchsun
Eight Point

I have not been out. Anyone hiking around seeing any dove migrating? Late season and my shot gun is lonely. Seeing lots 10 miles west of Granger where I can not hunt! Nice to see a hog killed. I learned (Or pretended to learn) on an old high quality basic recourve Bear in the seventies. Never even shot a long bow.
Old 01-06-2021, 11:28 AM   #12597
Wudstix
Pope & Young

GRXH is spinning up.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:49 AM   #12598
Rockstar69
Four Point

Anyone lose some of their bow rope? Found it this morning.

Old 01-10-2021, 10:51 AM   #12599
DHOutdoorsman
Four Point

Hunt In: all Public Lands, and soon to be Granger for Hogs
Default Lost and Found

Thanks for reminding me Rockstar69, I also found a Crossbow Quiver this past Wednesday while scouting. Not sure if this is the standard quiver for a crossbow but the arrows are Excalibur FireBolt, the broadheads are still descent looking but the band is dry rotted so I think they have been there for a while.
PM me if these are yours..
Attached Images

DHOutdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2021, 10:54 AM   #12600
zins708
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar69 View Post
Anyone lose some of their bow rope? Found it this morning.

Is that this years shed already? Looks pretty fresh, but thatís super early.