Africa Outfitter Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Texas89 View Post
    Have it narrowed down the Zimbabwe,Mozambique at least that’s what I’m thinking. Only plains game right now.
    If you're open to trying South Africa, we really like the Eastern Cape. Its big open and rugged country. Its safe and there's no malaria.

Bennie Lategan (www.lategansafaris.com) is offering at the Dallas and Houston shows a 9 day trip, 7 days hunting, for 5 plains game trophies for $3,750. Bennie and his family are top notch. We hunted with them in 2017.

We also really like Tam Safaris (www.tamsafaris.com). We hunted with Peter and Stephen in June 2019, and had a great trip. They offered my buddy a similar package...5 trophies for $3,800.

Comment

Forgot to mention, the above prices are all-inclusive except for the "3 T's"...travel (air fare), tip (gratuity), and taxidermy (stuffing your stuff) are not in package price.

And don't over pack...they do laundry everyday. Three sets of hunting clothes is more than enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Honker View Post
        If you're open to trying South Africa, we really like the Eastern Cape. Its big open and rugged country. Its safe and there's no malaria.

Bennie Lategan (www.lategansafaris.com) is offering at the Dallas and Houston shows a 9 day trip, 7 days hunting, for 5 plains game trophies for $3,750. Bennie and his family are top notch. We hunted with them in 2017.

We also really like Tam Safaris (www.tamsafaris.com). We hunted with Peter and Stephen in June 2019, and had a great trip. They offered my buddy a similar package...5 trophies for $3,800.

I’m open to anything at this moment. There’s so much information to soak up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Texas89 View Post
          I’m open to anything at this moment. There’s so much information to soak up.
          Yep...its a lot to absorb.

I'll PM you my cell...give me a shout if you want a sounding board. We've been blessed and have hunted abroad 6 times.

Our last trip was with Tam Safaris and we used their guns. It was great to fly with just one bag. This also allowed us to connect through Heathrow in London, which you can not do if you're flying with rifles. We were able to catch the train and see Churchill's War Room.

If you decide to take your own guns, its best to connect through Frankfurt. Its also nice to use RiflePermits.com. Good folks that will handle your rifle permits and meet you at the gate in JoBerg. They have some kind of bro-in-law deal and they'll walk you past the line at customs...its cheap and well worth it.

Comment

I hunted last year with Numzaan Safaris.

We bought a package for 2 Nyala that was all inclusive then added on animals from there....we ended up shooting 8 animals. We saved thousands by buying the package for the two Nyala as they were animals we wanted to take vs. doing a la carte and paying the daily rate.

We had a great time and couldn't say enough good things about Jaco, Stef and the rest of the crew at Numzaan. We used travel with guns for our flights and bookings and Heny Durahm with rifle permits and I had my guns in my hand within 5 min of clearing customs.

They had a great selection of ranches to hunt, we hunted 5 different places and I was able to take some better than avg. trophies.....I shot a 43" sable, a 29" Waterbuck and a 26 1/2" Impala. They pulled me off of several animals I would have been happy to take which is rare for a guide to do that in my experience.

I was at the DSC and the amount of outfitters there, especially for Africa, is overwhelming.

PM me if you have any more questions

Comment

Zim and Moz are both great options. Both are free range. South Africa is a bit like a Texas game ranch in that the smaller properties buy animals from Namibia and release them. Of they two I'd pick Mozambique.

Comment

So first question I'd ask is regarding size of the property to be hunted.

Comment

I would concern myself more with the place then the package. Some places will through out real cheap packages and then rake you over the coals on all the details. Most places average out close and in my experience if you pay just a little more you will get your money worth with a better experience. Also I would not book a trip like that without help from a booking agent, too many people out there that will rip you off. I use a guy named Kevin Slaughter and he only books 5 star hunts and he has never let me down.

Comment

What about taxidermy? If I get everything dipped, packed and shipped back home can I wait and do a couple mounts at a time over sky a period of a year or so so I don’t have to eat the cost all at once? Even with some of the reduced pricing even if I only end up with the few animals I want to take that’s going to be a fairly substantial cost all at once.

Comment

If you are doing Mozambique, the least costly part will be the taxidermy.

Comment

I will pm you my number if you want to talk I was in your shoes prior to our Safari to South Africa in September of 2018. I will be more than happy to share with you our experiences and what I learned as well as an approximation on cost.

If you dip pack your taxidermist should let you spread it out. Mine is I paid for all the tanning up front then bring him one at a time. One in one out. Also all of your costs are spread out. Book a year out and you have 12 mo to pay for airfare and Safari. 4-6 months later comes dip pack and ship. Then taxidermy

Comment

Originally posted by aggieman08 View Post
                          If you are doing Mozambique, the least costly part will be the taxidermy.
                          After reading the several posts on this thread, several members reaching out and much more research it is looking much more like Namibia/ South Africa. Much more accommodating on price and can fit what I’m looking to do.

Comment

I booked last weekend. 12 days, 13 animals. Bought a package that had 11 and added 2 more at a discount since I was booking a large package. Getting the spiral horned stuff (Eland, Nyala, kudu, bush buck), some of the cool looking stuff (gemsbok, waterbuck, zebra) and some of the common plains game (black wildebeest, blue wildebeest, impala, springbuck,blesbok). Super excited to go! The taxidermy bill is gonna hurt
                            Though!!! Fortunately I use my guy for a LOT of stuff and won’t be shoulder mounting everything, so pay 1/2 up front then payments for
                            The next year (he is currently on a 14 month turnaround) and I should be okay!

Comment

Working...
                            X