Recommendations, daughter's first rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendations, daughter's first rifle

Looking for recommendations from the GS for my daughter's first rifle. She's 12 but quite tall for her age and is comfortable shooting rifles. Last season she shot a borrowed 270 with a cut down stock and a muzzle break and did just fine with it. She hasn't harvested her first deer yet but we have a TYHP hunt next month and we're hopeful. I'm currently considering the 243, 6.5 CM or 7 mm 08. Have looked at Weatherby, Ruger, T/C and Savage. Ideally it would be something that works well for her not just now but for at least a few years. Something she can grow into. Appreciate all input.

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

My 12 and 11 year old boys both have a 7mm-08 and love them.

Comment

Nothing wrong with a .270, but any of the other 3 you mentioned will do just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
        Nothing wrong with a .270, but any of the other 3 you mentioned will do just fine.
        agreed....
        Mine shoots a 243 lights out & loves it...
        Hell, my 9 year old daughter shoots it too...

Comment

7mm-08 or 243

Comment

I’d get a 22-250 or 243. I started with a 22-250 and still like using it from time to time

Comment

Really you couldn’t go wrong with any of those brands.

I’d go with the 6.5 or 7/08 though.
              We’ve got some T/C 6.5’s and they are shooters but feel sloppy and the trigger sucks until you change out the spring. They are threaded so you could always put a muzzle brake on it until she gets a little bigger.

Comment

My daughter is now in her 20’s and still hunts with a 223
                Never a miss and tend to drop there or close by

Comment

Comment

.243 can kill pretty much anything you might encounter in Texas, except a nilgai or other large exotics.

Comment

243. All my girls started off with this caliber. Now they shoot 25-06.

Comment

243 Ruger American Predator

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
                          I’d get a 22-250 or 243. I started with a 22-250 and still like using it from time to time
                          Lot of bullet splash with 22-250 if you aren't careful.

Comment

Calibers and brands are all good ones in my opinion - anyone of them will get the job done.

If you get a rifle with a nicer stock I’d suggest pulling it off and putting on a Boyd or other laminate stock. That way you can chop it, if you need to, and as she grows you can reinstall the nice stock.

Get some shooting sticks and have her practice at the range with them. Then she won’t struggle with an unfamiliar rest from a hunting line.

Most importantly take pictures and have fun.

Comment

If she is already shooting a 270 and comfortable with it, why not stick with 270? My wife shoots my 270 and kills everything she aims at. She center punched a doe last year at 324 and blew the chest wide open with it. I have a buddy that took his to Africa and killed zebra, kudu, gemsbok, and several other animals and he has no shortage of rifles in any caliber you’d want.

For 300 yards and in, the 270 will do just as good of job as any other caliber with a well placed shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X