Time protein feeders and Axis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time protein feeders and Axis

Getting ready to pick up a timed protein feeder and the main reason I’m getting one is to hopefully attract Axis more regularly. Wondering if sweet feed or an all stock pellet would work just as well as protein as an attractant and save me some $$. Any input?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't sweet feed a little tacky? That would be a no then.

Not sure what an all stock feed is but hopefully they find it palatable.. How much a bag are you saving to take a chance? I pay $9/ sack for 17% for my two ASFs.
    Last edited by Smart; 03-28-2020, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post

Not sure what an all stock feed is but hopefully they find it palatable.. How much a bag are you saving to take a chance? I pay $9/ sack for 17% for my two ASFs.

Sweet feed is tacky for sure. Guess that would gum up the feeder then? All stock is a pellet feed. Typically has some molasses added for flavor.

Hadn’t looked into protein prices, I just assumed either would be quite a bit cheaper, but at $9/ bag there isn’t going to be much savings.

Comment

Good luck with your feeder and feed search!

We do have both an All Stock Sweet Feed and an Econo Creep Pellet but have not received any feedback if they attract Axis or not. We have had a customer here who stated our 20% Deer Pellets brought in some Axis:

Originally posted by Cookiemonster1 View Post
        Ive been using the West Feed 20% and have liked it. Only issue is I buy from a small feed store so he runs out at times. has a great smell and 1st week I put it out I had a few Axis show up due to the smell I guess because we hadn't seen Axis in years. Guy on the River decided to start making money by trapping them about 15 years ago so we don't see them anymore.
        Last edited by West Feeds; 03-28-2020, 11:21 AM.

Comment

I just tried mixing alfalfa pellets and corn in my timed protein feeder to see if it would bring some axis in. No luck so far. Alfalfa cubes have worked best, just throw a bucket of it out in the evenings.

Comment

The WT aren't eating the alfalfa pellets either.
            Maybe it's too green around here.

Comment

Yea, I’d say that’s the problem. It’s pretty green to try to feed a hay product IMO.

Comment

I put a mix of sweet feed, protein, corn, golden nuggets in a covered trough and it lasts about 8-10 days. In the same pen i have whole cottonseed, a timed corn feeder, a hay rack with alfalfa and a half barrel of chaffhaye along with a 7 ft water tank.
                It's been 2 years and now i have more axis than hogs

Comment

I’m planning to add timed protein to all my set ups. In my experience Axis show up when they want to. But the more you can put out that they like, the more likely they are to come back in. My 2cents on a timed feeder; you can spread out your feed over a longer period. So there is a better chance they will more consistently come back for a bite. Tough animals to pattern though.

Comment

I have a Lamco 1,000lb Times trough feeder. I’ve mixed sweet feed, and all stock in it for years without any issues. Sweet feed by itself I think would be an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post

What are you feeding?

Comment

Originally posted by SMF View Post
                        What are you feeding?

Palmer's Eco Feed 17 sold in San Angelo at Palmers feed.

Comment

They like alfalfa bales. Spin corn out of the feeder.

Comment

We just use 20% protein works good for WT and Axis.

Comment

This

This is exactly what we use and it seems to keep the Axis around.

Originally posted by Grant2 View Post
                              We just use 20% protein works good for WT and Axis.

Comment

Working...
                              X