Plant Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plant Identification

The first plant is a bush I found deep in the woods at the base of a ridge. I’m in north central Texas close to OK. Can anyone identify? It has red berries

This next one is grass growing in my food plot. Is this Johnson grass? Or something else?

Thanks in advance for the help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The shrub is a nandina domestica (planted by bird turds)
    Not sure on the grass yet, needs to get a bit larger before I can Id

Comment

looks like oats

Comment

Originally posted by timberking View Post
        looks like oats
        I did plant some oats there. I figured they would’ve gotten killed by the cold weather

Comment

Originally posted by Texas270wsm View Post
          The shrub is a nandina domestica (planted by bird turds)
          Not sure on the grass yet, needs to get a bit larger before I can Id
          That’s an impressive identification on the shrub. Thanks! It was pretty deep in the woods too, interesting.

Comment

We have some nandina deep in the woods at our farm in Wise county.

Comment

For sure oats.

Comment

No clue on bush. Grass is 100% oats. It never got near cold enough or long enough to kill them. Mine are waist deep.

Comment

Agreed on Nandina and oats. Berries are toxic!

Comment

Thanks for the help fellas. From some quick internet research it would appear doves could be fond of the oats when they go to seed. Anyone have any experience with this? I know el gato has said that the deer will eat the wheat seed once it heads out. I have a ton of winter wheat still going strong too.

Comment

Originally posted by Greylight318 View Post
                      Thanks for the help fellas. From some quick internet research it would appear doves could be fond of the oats when they go to seed. Anyone have any experience with this? I know el gato has said that the deer will eat the wheat seed once it heads out. I have a ton of winter wheat still going strong too.
                      Unless you plan on manipulating it to get seed on bare ground the dove won’t utilize it much if any

Deer... probably not. Wheat... maybe some. By the time it’s mature enough for that you could grow numerous better options imho. But if not planting spring/summer plots just leave it for weed suppression and organic matter for next year

Comment

Got two more plants for you guys

The first sort of looks like clover but I don’t think it is. Any ideas?

No idea on this one

Thanks in advance fellas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That second one looks like Burr Clover, but i can't tell how far it is off the ground.. If it's low running it could be it. If it flowers white soon then thatd be another way to tell!

Comment

Top is arrow leaf clover
                            Second is false indigo

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                              Top is arrow leaf clover
                              Second is false indigo
                              Wow man. That's impressive, spot on. How do you know your plants so well? I appreciate the help, trying to become more educated on the flora in my area. Does the false indigo have much value nutritionally or otherwise? I'm pretty well covered up in the stuff. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X