First attempt at pepper sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First attempt at pepper sauce

We made a recipe for dinner one night last week that called for 1-2 Thai peppers. Well, the grocery store sells them in packs of 30 or so, so we had a lot left over that were going to waste. I got a simple recipe online, and it is good. Pretty dang zippy!, but good.

Put peppers, whole or cut up in a jar. Add garlic cloves if you like garlic. Heat 1 cup of white vinegar, add 1 teaspoon sugar. Add 1 teaspoon olive or vegetable oil if you want more spice to transfer to the vinegar. Pour the hot vinegar over the peppers, and seal the jar while hot. Let sit for a week.

See the tiny spoon on top of the jar? I used half of one spoonful as a test on my scrambled eggs. Whoa nelly! Heat is about the same as a fresh jalapeño, maybe a little more, but it sustains! Really good flavor, and your mouth and lips will have a subtle burn for a good 20 minutes.

Will definitely try this with my red savina habaneros.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you Just using the vinegar as the sauce? I’ve seen it at pretty much every Thai restaurant I’ve been too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes. I tried eating the peppers and it was just too much punch. Thai are like jalapeño where they hit you with everything they’ve got all up front. I think I would prefer a habanero sauce, which even though it’s way hotter, not only takes longer to build up the scorching heat but actually tastes really good.

Comment

My grandmother always has a bottle with peppers in it that looked similar. She died before I grew up enough to try it. I might just make some of your stuff

Comment

Great on purple hull peas!

Comment

I do a bunch of fermented ghost pepper and reaper sauce every year.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post

That’s a lot of firepower! My ghost peppers are coming along slowly. They are a few weeks behind my other peppers, but they will be ready for transplant soon.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post

My stomached rolled just looking at that. I love the spice, but it doesn’t love me... can you explain your fermentation method?

Comment

Yup doing this with my Tabascos and habaneros

Comment

Originally posted by TexanDuke View Post
                    My stomached rolled just looking at that. I love the spice, but it doesn’t love me... can you explain your fermentation method?

Peppers, salt, and water.
                    I grind the peppers. run the salt as a percentage of pepper weight, then cover the ground peppers with water. If everything was properly sanitized, and you don’t screw the measurements... you have a well fermented mash about 4-8 months later. (When no more bubbles occur) You add vinegar at that point, to taste, and make sure it is acidic enough to be shelf stable.

I usually pitch a lactobacillus yeast culture into the mash before the salt to get it started off right.

Comment

Working...
                    X