Streaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Streaming

Ok, I’m a troglodyte and know very little about streaming tv programming. I’m about to cut the cord and just wonder how to get my local stations for weather, etc. We normally leave the bedroom tv on a local station for the local news and weather from about 6:00 am until 7:00 am each morning. Added to that, during times of severe weather I like to watch the local stations to keep myself informed. So educate me here.

We use Hulu + Live TV. We get local stations plus pretty much anything you want to watch. We have Fire Sticks on our living room TV and on one in the shop.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Just cut my parents cable off last night and signed them up for Youtube TV, most streaming services ask for your zip code when signing up and will pull your different local news for your area. I believe we had 8 different local news networks we have access to.

Comment

I went and bought a cheap digital tv antenna from Walmart like 60$ and put it on my house and hooked it back up to the old coaxial used for my satelite. So i have local channels still in the house.

IMO thats the easiest and most reliable. I like it because we still have something to watch for storms when there is a storm and our WIFI is spotty or non existent. Its not often but its happened a few times.

Comment

Digital tv antenna then get the disney app

Comment

We use Roku and YouTubeTV here.

Comment

If you're in town, just get a digital TV antenna... That will give you your local stations...
              Of course, you'll need to keep a pair of channellocks on top of the tv or layin' by the door so you can run out and turn the antenna toward the station you want to watch!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                If you're in town, just get a digital TV antenna... That will give you your local stations...
                Of course, you'll need to keep a pair of channellocks on top of the tv or layin' by the door so you can run out and turn the antenna toward the station you want to watch!
                Ha ! Been there, done that many years ago. We live about twenty miles from Tyler, less I guess as the crow flies. Don’t know if a digital antenna will suffice.

Comment

When we lived in Whitehouse Suddenlink offered a streamers package by offering basic cable with local stations + unlimited internet
                  We then bought the Roku sticks & purchased Sling TV which offers different streaming packages

Other option is possible to get a good quality HDTV antenna for local stations
                  & then just go with whatever you want on streaming
                  Just keep in kind your quality of streaming depends slot on internet speed & what limitations it has. Hopefully you are part of the north Cherokee electric rolling out fiber optic in the very near future

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
                    When we lived in Whitehouse Suddenlink offered a streamers package by offering basic cable with local stations + unlimited internet
                    We then bought the Roku sticks & purchased Sling TV which offers different streaming packages

Other option is possible to get a good quality HDTV antenna for local stations
                    & then just go with whatever you want on streaming
                    Just keep in kind your quality of streaming depends slot on internet speed & what limitations it has. Hopefully you are part of the north Cherokee electric rolling out fiber optic in the very near future
                    We have internet with Suddenlink and it does pretty good since our son has moved out . He sucked up lots of juice ! Are you referring to Cherokee County Co-Op ? That’s what we are on.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                      Ha ! Been there, done that many years ago. We live about twenty miles from Tyler, less I guess as the crow flies. Don’t know if a digital antenna will suffice.
                      I bet it will work. I Live about as far the other direction.

Comment

Lots of helpful info guys, and I appreciate it.

Comment

tagged

Comment

We use a TV antenna and an HD Homerun tuner, which can stream to 4 devices, and Emby server (set up on a computer) for recording programs. Apple TV is connected to the display, and we have the Emby app for the over=the-air tv, Pluto TV app for free channels, and Amazon Prime since we pay for it anyway. We have Hulu from my son's student subscription, but we rarely watch it, and we had a 3-month free sub to Apple TV+ via new phones, but will only subscribe to that here and there if there are shows that we want to binge. The great thing about streaming is that you can subscribe as you please, with no contracts, so if you want to catch NHL or MLB playoffs or anything for just a week or three, you can pay for a month and then turn it off.

Comment

We are 65 miles as the crow flies from the nearest tv station. We get 82 channels off of the HD antenna. 200 off of Samsung TV and anything you want to watch off those other apps the wife has. Starlink is awesome!

Comment

Working...
                              X