Tracking dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tracking dogs

Looking for some help from the green screen. I would like to get a pup to start working asap and be old enough to take out this fall. I’ll be honest, breed doesn’t really matter, but being out west, I would prefer one of the bigger breeds.

I’ve been behind everything from weenie dogs to Maligators. I was thinking blue lacy, BMC, or Catahoula.

What I DO want is a pup out of proven working dogs that track.

So, GS, point me in the right direction please, if you know of any available, please let me know. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My lacy can sniff out next seasons blood trail already.. the nose of them dogs are absolutely incredible and they have grown to be my favorite breed, by far.

Comment

This ^^^^ is what I’d get if I were buying a tracking dog right now.

I’ve owned a couple trackers. I currently have a Blue Lacy. They are great dogs. I also have owned a Jagd Terrier. Don’t get too hung up on size. My Jagd could bay a 200 lb boar all by herself. They are excellent trackers and fearless, vicious, fighters.

Comment

Sent you a pm

Comment

I have bred registered catahoulas since the 80's and I would not recommend them for this job. Can they do it? Yes they can and they will do it well. The problem come in what do you do with them the other 9 months out of the year? A well bred NALC registered catahoula should be high energy, high prey drive, and hard headed. They often become more aggressive at maturity. These things are in the breed standard. They need a real job to be happy and non-destructive. Are there NALC registered dogs that make good pets? Yes those dogs do not meet the breed standard (aka culls ). Are their plenty of spotted mutts running around that people call catahoulas that make good pets? Yes, but my comments are only concerning well bred, meet the standard, NALC registered dogs. I personally use miniature dachshunds for tracking. They make great pets for 9 months and great trackers for 3.

-john

Comment

Originally posted by hully1029 View Post
            My lacy can sniff out next seasons blood trail already.. the nose of them dogs are absolutely incredible and they have grown to be my favorite breed, by far.
            X2 on the Lacy nose. Mine sniffs out rocks and old pieces of metal buried underground and then digs them up. She found a double bit axe head in my backyard and dug it up. No telling how old the axe head is. House was built in 1958 so it's at least that old. Crazy what these Lacy dogs can do with their noses. I hide treats all over the house and yard and she finds them all in short order. Doesn't matter where I put them low or high she will locate every one.
            I have watched her trail squirrels that where on the ground 2 hours prior. It's her daily thing to do in her morning routine. The rest of the time she's a couch tater. Her only down side is she don't get along with other female dogs. I belong to her and no other dog is allowed to touch me.

Comment

I will probably catch some heat for this, but if you are serious about running successful tracking dogs, you need to look past a lacy.

Now before anyone jumps too hard, I own three lacy's and yes they have good noses, they work hard, and are really good companions. But there are much better breeds for the purpose at hand.

If you don't believe me, take a look around and see how many guys doing it full time run a lacy. I can think of 2-3 that are successful and well known. And the ones that are good are as good as they get. But there is a reason why there is only a select few. My personal advice would be to reach out to guys that are running 30+ tracks a year and get their two cents on it.

When I am in a place to train up a tracking dog again, it will be a hound or hound cross of some sort.

Comment

I love my lacy dog, but they are not a dog for a yard in a subdivision. They need a lot of work time. You can’t use them for 3 months and put them in the back yard.
                Pretty much any dog can track if you put in the time training them.

Comment

My dog is
                  5/8 Catahoula
                  1/4 BMC
                  1/8 Walker Tree Hound
                  or at least that's what I was told
                  that I bought from proven trackers she will get after a track one day and then lay on the living room floor the next. Works at the ranch with me, runs and goes for walks off leash at home and is great with kids. Great dog her longest track so far was 1.8 miles as the crow flies her concentration and determination on the trail is amazing.

Comment

I currently have a dachshund from euro lines. I am going with a hound next, probably a Bavarian. My dachshund is great, just lacks the legs and I am ready to run off leash and bay wounded deer.

BMC out of Ladner lines would be my go to next. I just wanted something more family oriented than a lacy, cur, or jagd reason I am going with a hound.
                    Last edited by txhunter90; 05-10-2022, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Jagd terrier is the way to go. Mine will do it all. Track, retrieve birds, find hogs. Pretty much anything you want them to do. Very smart breed in my opinion.

Comment

Depends if that's all you want the dog for. Disclaimer: I am not a blood tracking dog expert, I'm not even a novice. However, I am someone who got a dog from the shelter, that runs around 10 tracks a year, with pretty good success. If you can find a dog that wants to please, and has the drive to find things, almost all dogs have a nose that's more than capable of it. A lot of scent tracking is personality/demeanor vs improved physiological abilities. Lots of good advice above, I've just lucked out with my pit mix, he was a natural and I simply encouraged him. If you're really getting serious about it, the advice above sounds great, but you also don't have to go all in on a specialized breed.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Tracking dogs

I have a Jack Russell Terror I use to track critters. He does well on some, and not so well on others. If the critter is still alive, he will do everything in his power to catch it. I will not hire him out because he seems too hit or miss to me to take others folks money. He has saved me on several critters I could not find on my own. I run him on leash because I don’t want him to chase other critters at the exotic ranch where I work. I have bought a tracking collar, and hope to get to try off leash at my place later this year. He is the best dog I have ever owned!!!!!

All that being said, I think he is just way too hyper. I’m hoping as he gets older he will slow down a bit.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                          Last edited by Bisch; 05-10-2022, 12:12 PM.

Comment

I'm the one with the Bavarians for sale they posted above. I'll shoot you a pm with some info

Comment

Working...
                            X