Wired Heifer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wired Heifer

Has anyone ever tried to put a wired heifer in a cooling pin to see if she’ll calm down. This heifer is like a stray dog and that she’ll run off a bit when I feed the others but, she’ll come back when I walk away. She’s fine with other cattle, I’m a little worried I won’t be able to breed her because of being so wired and running from the bull. I put a steer in with my heifers and she’s buddy up with him no problem.
    I’m not sure if I want to take her to the sale barn or butcher her. If I butcher her myself I can keep her calm before I put a bullet in her but, if I take her to the processor I think she’ll be too wound up to be worth anything.

She'll be fine with a bull and probably raise good calves. But she'll also keep the others wound up when you get ready to pen them up. My advice is to get her loaded up and send her butt to the sale barn. Too much downside to having one like that in the lot for me.

Comment

We had 9 cows just like that, we finally got them caught last week.
      We put wheels under them and to the sale barn they went.
      They brought pretty good money.

Comment

Salebarn. If she doesn’t cooperate and pen she won’t ever do it. Once they know they can get away with it once, it gets harder and harder.

Comment

Salebarn!! One bad apple messes up the whole herd in our experience. Just not worth it, easy enough to replace with another that is a better fit.

Comment

Take her to the sale. She will always be mousey and keep the others mousey.

Comment

Seen a few that calm down quite a bit after their first calf but in my opinion it's not worth the risk of getting the whole herd wound up I'd send her to the sale barn as well.

Comment

Originally posted by etbowhunter View Post
                She'll be fine with a bull and probably raise good calves. But she'll also keep the others wound up when you get ready to pen them up. My advice is to get her loaded up and send her butt to the sale barn. Too much downside to having one like that in the lot for me.
                Agreed. All of our keeping heifers must have a good disposition or they go to the sale barn. Some may be the best looking heifers in the group but life is to short to put up with the trouble they will cause in the future. They don’t get better. They get worse and end up spoiling the whole herd. Ship her and buy a gentle one.

Comment

Called a sale barn.

Comment

If you enjoy playing cowboy, keep her. Soon all of the other heifers will be the same way.

If you have cattle for enjoyment, a wirey (I call them rangey) heifer isn't fun. Get rid of her. If she's good looking someone will want her. It seems like the ones who like the tiger stripes like those kind of cattle.

Comment

Hate to sound like a broken record, but salebarn is where she needs to go.

Comment

My cousin had a brown swiss Brahma cross one time that could flat foot over a 6ft corral. Once she threw that crook in her tail it was bye bye. She finally met the Ranch Hand bumper on his F250 and broke her back leg. Next day the 1150c dug a nice big hole and pushed her in. He said that was the best money he never got to spend. She made working the rest of the cows near impossible in the pens.

Comment

They have a place for those kind of cattle its called the sale barn!

Comment

You call them 'Wired" I call them "High Headed Cattle". They are always running around with their head held high, pulling a trailer in the pasture; running around high headed. Get out of the truck and walk to count the cows; running around high headed. Try to pen them; running to the timber with the high head!

Never seen one settle down. My dad always would sell them if we were lucky enough to pen one!

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
                              You call them 'Wired" I call them "High Headed Cattle". They are always running around with their head held high, pulling a trailer in the pasture; running around high headed. Get out of the truck and walk to count the cows; running around high headed. Try to pen them; running to the timber with the high head!

Never seen one settle down. My dad always would sell them if we were lucky enough to pen one!
                              Yep we call them high heads. Ive got 5 in the pen right now headed to the barn and 2 of them are high heads. They made it to the pen and away the gunna go.

Comment

Working...
                              X